"Read Only" message received for new CD-R

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have replaced my CD burner twice because of this. Now I wonder if it was really a hardware error. When I try to burn a file onto my CD/DVD burner I get the message that the disk is Read Only. Actually it is an empty, clean, new Verbatim CD. Also receive the same message for new Memorex CD. This occurs when I use the drag-to-disk feature of Roxio 9. Any ideas?

Have you tried Drag to Disc feature in Windows (ie open my Computer-> and drag to the CD drive)

Also have you tried re-installing Roxio

Haven't tried the drag to disk. I'll do that.

I too was suspicious of the Roxio app. I'm in the process of reinstalling it and applying the downloaded upgrade to my version. I tried to use the "Repair" function in the Add/Delete programs on the Control Panel, but I received an error message indicating that there was an invalid path to the required source code :confused: . Now I've uninstalled it and will next do a reinstall with the appropriate upgrade. Thanks

If you're going to use Roxio
Once this is resolved, click on Start -> Run -> services.msc
And turn off the Windows built in burning service (which is only meant for that My Computer part

Also just on that, open My Computer, then the CD, and see if there are any files waiting to be burnt in there (just delete these shortcuts if any)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back