Realtek AC'97 audio - drivers installed properly & services running but no audio

Hello All!!

I have seen similar threads here but my problem is slightly different.
I have ASUS P4S8X-MX which have built in audio of Realtek AC'97 .
I am using Windows XP SP2 for quite a time and everything was fine unless i tried to install an updated driver for my sound. After updating, i got Code 10 error , device cannot start.
I uninstalled the drivers, Restart my PC and then installed my previous version of drivers.
Everything was fine and i can see volume icon in task bar. But when i tried playing an audio file there wasn't any sound. I clicked volume icon to raise it but it was disabled.
I double click it to open Mixer .. there are only 3 options (normally it use to have lot ..wave,speaker,etc..) Now it has only Wave , SW Synth, CD Player.. and No recording device.

I did try re-installing the drivers again and again but no LUCK..

I tried using Drivers Sweeper to remove the tracks .. doing that in Safe Mode and then again Installed Old drivers. It all go well but in the end its same situation with sound disabled.

I don't want to reinstall my Windows , is there any way to fix it ?

One thing i noticed is every time I install drivers the sound manager shows up at task bar but in moments it disappears while the soundman.exe is running in Processes and I can't find it in Control Panel as well (where it use to be) .

Its been 8 hours since I am struggling with that. But No LUCK!

Note: My PnP Software Device Enumerator is working fine.

Any help in this regard will be highly appreciable.

Thanks in advance

Hi muazzam

Is best to upgrade to SP3 (if only because MS has dropped support for SP2) but can start, for now, looking at your problem while you continue running with SP2

Let's start with these initial steps
1) List any Problem Devices
  • Make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
2) Generate and attach a DirectX report
  • click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see icon you may need to first click Go Advanced)
3) If there were no Problem Devices (step 1 above) then also check on your Windows Audio service if Status=Started and StartupType=Automatic

I'll have a look and we can take it from there

One other thing you could try is System Restore. Restore it to a point before you had this problem. It won't delete any data but updates, drivers and applications that may have been installed since then will probably have to be reinstalled. With System Restore if you are unsatisfied with the results, you can always undo the restore and/or try another restore point.

If this fixes your problem, you should install SP3 as LookinAround suggested.

@LookinAround

There wasn't any problem device and DX report was also clean.

@mailpup

Yeah buddy many thanks, actually I did that last night and guess what ..
when it came up after restart (after restore process) , it asked me to install drivers
and I did install the old ones and give it a restart.. and!!

Its working fine right now..!!

* i want to mention a point here for others, I restored my computer to a point earlier than the driver install and it didn't work for me as the problem persist. But then I restored my computer on the exact point which was created while Installing those updated drivers and It WORKED!!

and I have tried SP3 as well but my windows went unstable soon. Therefore i am sticking with SP2 ..

Thanks for the suggestion

Thanks a lot

hello sir,

i just registered to this forum to seek help regarding my problem. i recently upgraded my desktop computer to win7 from the previous OS which is winxp sp2.

the desktop motherboard is Elitegroup P4M900T-M2 that has a built in audio port on it. and when it was still under WIN xp, my 5.1 surround speaker is working very well. but after the upgrade, only two of the speakers (those in front) are the only ones that have sound, the rest don't have.

i tried to check on the website of the motherboard, but there was no driver for win7 for that particular model.

my question is: is there any work around or solution to this problem. what shall i do to make my 5.1 speakers work?

thanks,

Hi nsmorado

fyi.. Normally, you should be starting your own thread for your own problem to avoid confusion between different people's problems....

But seeing as how muazzam has finished/fixed his/her problem (we were all glad to hear :approve: )

so... nsmorado
Generate and attach a DirectX report
  • click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see icon you may need to first click Go Advanced)

Sorry about that sir. I didn't know that I should start a new thread for my problem. anyways, I have attached the result of the *dxdiag* you asked me to do. hopefully, you can tell me what causes my problem with the speakers and solve it the soonest time possible.

many thanks,
noel

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    35 KB · Views: 1
sorry about that sir. i didn't know that i should start a new thread for my problem.
No problem :) Still happy to try and help

So fyi... I can confirm what you probably suspected.. Your sound card is currently using the MS Windows 7 generic sound driver which is why you only get 2 channel sound (note the Driver Provider copied from your DirectX report below)
Code:
-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
            Description: Speakers (High Definition Audio Device)
 Default Sound Playback: Yes
 Default Voice Playback: Yes
            Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1106&DEV_1708&SUBSYS_10191349&REV_1007
                   Type: WDM
            Driver Name: HdAudio.sys
         Driver Version: 6.01.7600.16385 (English)
      Driver Attributes: Final Retail
            WHQL Logo'd: Yes
          Date and Size: 7/14/2009 07:51:47, 304128 bytes
        Driver Provider: Microsoft
Don't know if a Windows 7 driver exists but will take a look and back to you over next couple days

Hi nsmorado

I googled a bit for your sound driver. From best i can see after googling... there are XP and Vista drivers but nothing listed specifically for Windows 7.

Are the Vista drivers listed on the motherboard web site? I'd give them a try. (Sometimes Vista drivers will work for Win 7)

In worst case, google USB sound card as some cheap USB sound adapters are available if you need sound under win 7

i'll have a look at the site's website sir. if all else fails, then i'll try to google USB sound card and hope that works.

thanks for the advice and will let you know of the development.

nsmorado

Back