Recovery Discs not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recovery Discs : yes those one is meant to create just after getting computer. Well I did so for my VAIO.
Some detail about course of events given below, but long & short of it he recovery discs I made after getting my VAIO do not work. I created them on DVD-RW discs. The recovery Center program says , I now see that RW discs are supported but not recommended. Well having tried everything else, I’ve since copied those RW discs onto R discs, but still cannot get Recovery Discs to work. Would any problem then on RW discs have been copied over to the R discs ? if it’s just a format issue then why should that be so ? I’m still waiting on Sony Support getting back to me. They seem to have gone quiet.
Here’s some details:
I ran into some problems in December – The computer could not see the OS and had to perform a recovery. Computer took itself not the recovery mode and a recovery was made on the computer using the recovery partition on the hard drive. The recovery discs were not used.
I noticed a problem later with permissions on a plug-ins folder being in the wrong order. It made me wonder what else might be up. So ran the 2 check discs scans “automatically fix file system errors” and “scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors”. The former ran fine, the latter did not and it seemed to get stuck about 2/3 rds of way through scanning free clusters. Tried several times- it never completed. If left it overnight then found pc would say on restarting it from slumber that it had recovered from a serious error with information code BCCode 9f. I subsequently, I let the computer re-order the permissions on the plug-ins folder, then tried again with scanning, with same results.
(The scan runs ok in safe mode, but post this, still not ok in normal mode.)
Tried various things-disabling antivirus software and firewall from starting up; disabling Nvidia driver- Nothing seemed to help.
Whilst awaiting Sony Support getting back to me, I decided to carry on exploring. (Sony had eventually said need to send computer back for repair). However, I came across in
“Control Panel -> Adminstrative Tools -> Event Viewer -> System -> Event”
This info:
“{Registry Hive Recovered} Registry hive (file): '\??\C:\Users\chris\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat' was corrupted and it has been recovered. Some data might have been lost.”
I informed Sony and they said I needed to perform a recovery again. Well I’d pretty much resigned myself to doing that, and already taken some of the preparatory steps.
I was worried about performing a recovery from the recovery partition on the hard drive, as there’d been a registry problem, and worried that maybe this might still persist, or even still exist no longer be noted, so theorised that running the Recovery Discs would be the best thing to do.
Well the Recovery Discs will not work. The Vaio has a “Recovery Center” where meant to run program from.
Tried running the “Recovery Center” via restart with F10 but drive DVD drive does not work in that mode and discs are not recognised. Tried in Safe Mode – DVD drive does not work in Safe Mode.
If I try running the discs from the Vaio Recovery Center when in normal mode, computer will restart, it seems to think about this for a bit but then eventually just restarts up in normal mode. I am an administrator, but tried right clicking & selecting “run as administrator” on the Vaio Recovery Center” program just to see if it would make a difference – it did not.

May be I should just run a recovery from the recovery partition but annoyed that Sony not got back to me, and what of the Recovery Discs – Was their creation just some false reassurance ?

Not sure how much info should give on the registry error but doing a registry search for the”guid” number given gives a result found it is in HKEY Local Machine> Software>> Microsoft> Windows>Current version>WINEVT>Publishers>then the number.
Other info says the provider is Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-General

Maybe things would be ok if I just ran the recovery from the recovery partition and made new recovery discs afterwards, but I’m not sure.
The one thing I’ve not tried is disabling UAC . I’ll give that a go, but I’m otherwise out of ideas.
Any thought/ words of wisdom expressed re the Recovery Disc situation would be greatly appreciated.

My OS is Vista Ultimate, which via Windows Updates became SPI version shortly after the recovery a month ago. The noted registry problem is dated as having occurred 20th December,the day after the recovery. My activities at that time would have been based round getting Windows Updates, which on that date included “BitLocker & EFS Enhancement”; Silverlight”; and SP1. It looks like the first attempt at installing “Security Update for Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007(KB9513398) failed but subsequently was successful. Likewise SP1 failed, but was subsequently successful. Maybe the noted error in “Control Panel -> Adminstrative Tools -> Event Viewer -> System -> Event” was related to one of these 2 events and as both updates been subsequently successful the noted event error is no longer relevant, and maybe the scan “scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors” does not run in normal mode owing to some hardware issue.
Still all this is background info. Feel free to comment, but it’s the Recovery Disc issue that I’m trying to understand.
Grateful for any inspiring thoughts !

Thanks. There's a thought. When Sony replies then I can quiz them on this, unless they have an answer.
(Turning off UAC made no difference.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back