Red Dead Redemption is coming to PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch, but not the PC

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In a nutshell: Rockstar Games is bringing Red Dead Redemption to additional platforms, but they might not be the ones you've been longing for. From August 17, Red Dead Redemption and its zombie expansion pack, Undead Nightmare, will be available in a single package for the PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch. Undead Nightmare is a standalone expansion pack set in an alternate timeline, tasking players with finding the cause of and cure for a zombie plague.

Red Dead Redemption arrived in 2010 as a successor to Red Dead Revolver and was followed by Red Dead Redemption 2 in 2018. Red Dead Redemption was originally limited to the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 but later found its way to the Xbox One and Xbox Series through backward compatibility. Despite limited platform availability, the game earned over 170 Game of the Year awards, according to Rockstar.

The PS3 and Xbox 360 versions both garnered scores of 95 out of 100 on Metacritic, with user scores of 8.9 and 9.0 out of 10, respectively.

The new games will retail for $49.99 in the Switch eShop and on the PlayStation Store. Notably, neither the PS4 nor the Switch version feature multiplayer content. Pricing and availability for physical versions was not mentioned.

Rockstar said Double Eleven Studios is handling the ports. The British developer has previous worked on Fallout 76, Rust Console Edition, Minecraft Dungeons, and Crackdown 3, among other titles.

Last summer, an industry insider claimed Rockstar had put remasters of Grand Theft Auto V and Red Dead Redemption on ice to focus exclusively on Grand Theft Auto VI. Work on the remasters could resume once GTA VI ships, sources said.

Either way, you can be certain Rockstar wants to avoid another disaster like it had when the GTA trilogy launched.

Is it just me, or does $50 for a 13-year old game and expansion seem a bit steep? Perhaps something closer to the $30 ballpark would be a better fit? Do you plan on picking up RDR for PS4 or Switch?

Permalink to story.

People, I played RDR again recently with a PS4 emulator in 4K at 120hz on PC. It is not a tall task to make this work. It was trivial to set up in fact. Of course, I would like a remaster, but if you have the itch to replay it. Go for it. It's a great experience emulated.

People, I played RDR again recently with a PS4 emulator in 4K at 120hz on PC. It is not a tall task to make this work. It was trivial to set up in fact. Of course, I would like a remaster, but if you have the itch to replay it. Go for it. It's a great experience emulated.
this is probably why they didnt bother with a pc version.

they think pc gamers are fine emulating it and can do so in whatever resolution and framerates they want, on the other hand if they release an official port that cost money and doesnt hit 8k@240 frames(its sarcasm) then they'll have to hear alot of b**ching from angry pc nerds who claimed they couldve done the port easy as pie for 5 dollars.

imho its a smart move, theres an ocean of content switch gamers who are happy to play whatever on their lil system, I'd rather deal with them than angry af pc people.

So wait, hold up...you're telling me that they A. Didn't actually remaster this and B. They're selling it to a TEN YEAR OLD CONSOLE, not the PS5 and C. No official Xbox OR PC version? Are you kidding me?

This is just...incredible.

And to make it even better, they're charging full price for it too.

Rockstar are a mere shadow of their former selves these days (as most of the key people have left), which is a tragedy as they produced some of the best games in the world.

How did you do this? They never released RDR on PS4 and the PS4 can't play PS3 games?

A game coming to Nintendo Switch is basically a game coming to PC. Not as good, granted, but playable.

Ps3 emulator

And its actually easier to do on xbox 360 emulator as it requires MUCH less cpu grunt. Ps3 emulation needs 8 core or better intel 10th gen or newer for these harder to emulate games

I bought red dead and undead nightmare combo pack on clearance at target a few years ago for 360, think it cost me $14.

Great games if you havent played, def worth your time! Red dead 2 is fantastic, but the first is just as fun, has a great story and is much less complicated control and inventory wise. My favorite was trying to decipher the treasure maps!

Typo, it was in fact a PS3 emulator. My bad. The fact remains though, it's a great experience at 4k 120hz. The textures scaled up very well. I used RPCS3.
Yeah I saw the Digital Foundry video on running RDR in emulators. Actually works really well!
Imagine if these companies just worked with the emulation community and found a way of selling old games again that work in said emulators.

Back