1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Reformat w7

By Mark Fuller ยท 8 replies
Jan 20, 2019
Post New Reply
  1. I am trying to reformat an old pata hdd with w7 from another computer than the original one because the cd doesn't work on the original. I can boot to the cd and bring up the w7 start menu, but the w7 program doesn't give me the option to format the hdd connected to a usb adapter, it only lists the partitions on the computer's internal hdd. I am using an hp laptop to try and reformat the hdd. How do I get the w7 program to give me the option to format the pata hdd if I can? It shows up in device manager.

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 12,562   +1,443

Create a bootable thumbdrive, add the tools there.

3. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller TS Booster Topic Starter Posts: 199   +6

Ok. I'll try that, but a tech on microsoft's website said that windows 7 could not be used with and external hdd with a usb adapter.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  4. jobeard

Use ANY OS to get the internal drive reformatted to NTFS. Then you should be able to use your OEM Win/7 CDs for a full install.

5. Mark Fuller

With another w10 laptop, I created a partition called new volume on the hdd using disk management, is that the same thing? If it is, it sitll won't format w7.

6. jobeard

The new partition might be useful(depending upon size), but even that would need formatting. There's nothing special about a Win/7 partition vs any other and if you can create New Volume, you can format it. So I wonder, what do you mean when you say will not format w7?

7. Mark Fuller

When I boot to the installation disk, it does not list the external hdd connected by a usb adapter. It just lists the partitions on the internal hdd. It is a pata hdd connected by usb adapter. It shows up in device manager when I boot to the os. A tech on microsoft's website said that windows 7 could not be used with and external hdd with a usb adapter.

8. jobeard

That makes sense, as the USB driver is needed to access the external and has not yet been loaded so as to boot from the external.

The confusion was "reformat win/7"

9. Mark Fuller

Thanx anyway