reformatting using windows Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMDIsTheBest010

hi all-

my father told me that he wants me to completely reformat his winMe machine (purchased October 2000) he said that he doesnt care about his data or anything but just wants the hard drive wiped clean and windows Me reinstalled. the disks i have are : Windows Me CD, Windows Me boot disk, and the chipset drivers and programs that came pre-installed on the computer, i have never reformatted a windows Me machines, b/c i only really started getting into computer once winXP was released in 2001 so thats primarlil what i reformat for ppl.

thanks for any help,
.....AMD

why would he want to put one of the worst operating systems that Microsoft ever developed back onto the same computer? Now is a prime opportunity to upgrade!
Get XP and add a little more memory and you're good to go!

Tedster said:
why would he want to put one of the worst operating systems that Microsoft ever developed back onto the same computer? Now is a prime opportunity to upgrade!
Get XP and add a little more memory and you're good to go!

Tedster his father is obviously happy with ME, as are a lot of people I know, There are people who still use 98 and are happy with it.

In response to your question, ME reinstall is just the same as XP, boot from the floppy, use FDISK to delete and create the partition, maybe think about adding a second partition so your father can store his data in a seperate area just in case of a system crash, then when your done just boot from the CD and follow the instructions that appear during install.

You will need to make sure you have all the drivers for the add on cards etc and most important, THE PRODUCT KEY, if its not on the case or on the CD search the registry for the string "Product key" and make a note of it.

I've never met anyone who liked ME. Even my own father - who knows enough to be dangerous on computers! ;) It's just a plain terrible OS and will only lead to frustration by less experienced computer users.

yes i agree that windows Me is ABSOLUTLEY terrible. I just used it for about 20 min when i picked it up from his house and it crashed 4 times with BSOD and i though that maybe it had a virus but hes running the latest Mcafee 2006 version and it detected no viruses or PUPS i told him that if he wanted to upgrade to XP to just buy the upgrade version and i would install it for him and like you said i have alot of xtra RAM around so i was gonna install a stick of 512 to bring it up to 640MB total but hes said that he didnt want to spend the money and waste the time and effort but whatever.

Windows Me truly is a symbol of Microsoft failure
isnt 4 crashes in 20 minutes with BSOD a little rediculous??????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back