Refresher course help with building a new PC

okay, it's been 7 years since I last built a desktop pc. I need to build a new one. I like gigabyte mobo's. The desktop I need to build will be a backup system for 4 household residents and 3 of us will be using it for a main pc.
It must hold at least6- 8 sata TB hd's.
Would also like it to be hdtv compatible, have bays for blueray/dvd and a dvd recorder and also a 7 in one or whatever in 1 card slot.
Easy access to external usb's, mike. speaker and headphone jacks.
Video card is not that important since none of us are serious gamers.
lots of fans and memory
It must also support a 64 bit OS.
So as you can see a recommendation for a gigabyte mobo, case, video card, memory etc.
I am open to any ideas.
I just need a refresher on parts and compatiblity.

Thanks so much!

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P67X-UD3-B3 =$145
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz =$220 (The i7 2600k is $100 more if you want it but there is not much of a performance difference.)
RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM =$95
Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black =$60 (this case should meet your needs and has plenty of cooling for an excellent price, if you want a flashier case it will cost more)
Powersupply: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-850TX 850W = $135
Video: SAPPHIRE 100328L Radeon HD 6770 = $120 (this card might be excessive for your needs but the price is not much higher than most entry-leval cards so it is an excelent value)
BluRay: LG Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE = $80
DVR-RW: LG CD/DVD Burner = $20
Card Reader: SABRENT CRW-UINB 68-in-1 =$16
HDDs:6 X Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 =$540 ($90 ea.) [6 HDDs is easy 8 would be dificult since you need SATA for the optical drives and even the highest end motherboards usually only have 8 SATA ports, unless you need to have 6 seperate HDDs it would be much cheaper to go with 3 2TB or 2 3TB drives and partition them.]

Total: $1430

these are some general recomendations a solid budget would narrow it down a little more.

Back