Removing Small Business Server for XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!

I have recently acquired a Dell PowerEdge server from my employer and want to use it in my music studio. Its still runing Small Business Server at the mo, therefore I want to remove the OS, format both of the drives (which are mirrored btw) and install XP.

My questions are as follows:

1. Will the format require that I have to manually re-config the mirroring - I know there is no dedicated raid card in the machine, assumption is that its taken care of by the motherboard.....?

2. Can I go about the format as I would normally?

Would greatly appreciate any advice as I have gigs of audio which I could then backup onto tapes...plus I want this machine's spec, it kicks the proverbial out of my current one!

If the mirror is created on the PERC then the mirror is maintained on the bios of the raid controller. So you won't have to re-create it.

You can format as part of the OS install. I assume you will use Windows 2003 server. If you're using Win 2k you will need to install the drivers for the raid card. Do this by hitting f6 frantically when you get the blue boot screen from booting from the windows disk.

If the raid controller is a PERC you can get drivers for them by looking up the service tag on Dell's site.

Does this help?

Hello,thanks for your reply!

I have no idea what PERC means!! Someone mentioned something about being able to put the server's diagnostic CD on a normal PC to create a floppy with drivers for PERC....!!??? Actually what does the PE stand for cause surely the RC part is "Raid Controller"....?

Also I want to install XP not server 2003 or 2K, will this make things anymore complicated? I am familiar with the OS-install way of formatting but always prefer the total total clean install if I can.

Ta!

PERC is Poweredge Expandable RAID Controller. This is how Dell likes to call the RAID controllers in the servers it makes. Actually the controllers are rebranded standard or lightly customised versions of your usual LSI or Adaptec products.

When you boot up your server you will see the RAID controller messages if it is installed. It will tell the controller version (write that down), offer you a key combination to enter RAID setup and also display the status of the configured arrays.

XP supports some PERC versions I think - just boot from the CD and see if it finds the logical drive. You can download the drivers for the controller from Dell too.

As Nodsu said.

Be aware that many Dell servers also have adaptec SCSI controllers that are separate from the raid controller. You want to look for a PERC, or another RAID specific message on boot. Not just a SCSI controller.

Does that make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back