Repairing one windows install from another

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a utility to repair a windows installation from a second installation on the same machine?

Ill cut out most of the details, I don't think they are important. But in summary:
I have tried to repair, safe mode, last known good config, reset bios to defaults, canceled loading of drivers that wont load, and everything else I've read. My computer screen goes black after the windows splash screen. I believe it is related to daemon tools SPTD.sys driver. I can even hear windows booting up, with sound and everything, but the screen goes totally black after the windows welcome to windows splash screen. So I'm fairly sure it is software, not hardware related.

So finally I installed a second windows install. The second install seems to work fine. I can see the files from the old install... nothing seems to be lost or corrupted. But I very badly want to get the first install fixed.

Any help is much appreciated. I searched but can't find an answer on the board. Thanks.
edit: WindowsXP is my OS

So what happens in safe mode?

The screen going black points to some video issue.

I agree with Nodsu. My last install had an old ATI All In Wonder in it, and it seems that the card died. It would do the exact same thing as you describe. I put in a 9800 Pro and all is well.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

thank you for the replies

In safe mode, it hangs at loading SPTD.sys. Even if I tell it to cancel it stays hung there. I tried deleting it, renaming it... but it just hangs at the next file... and wont let me cancel.

have you tried this sequence:
boot the new system
find the file you need (SPTD.sys)
copy it to the old system
reboot into to old system​

Ill give it a shot when I get to my computer. Im not sure that my new install even has the SPTD.sys file though... I thought that daemontools added it

The old install is now stuck in an infinite rebooting loop.

"setup is being restarted......." pops up after the windows splash screen. It reboots, and continues doing that for as long as I let it.

any advice? I cant get into the old install anymore, the last stage of setup seems to be stuck in an infinite rebooting loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back