Reset BIOS? Disabled USB = No keyboard

Mugsy

Crap! I inadvertently disabled by USB ports on my Win10 tablet in the BIOS and now I can't get them back!

I was trying to figure out how to get my Win10 tablet to boot from USB by changing the settings in the BIOS (American Megatrends.) Changing the boot order didn't work. Under the South Bridge Chipset settings, I disabled XHCI to change my USB settings manually and when the computer rebooted, my detachable keyboard was disabled!

I discovered I can get back into BIOS via the Windows Troubleshooter (via Win10 "Settings"), but once there, I can't get past the first menu ("Main"). The touchscreen doesn't work in BIOS.

My tablet has just 3 buttons, Vol -/+ and Power. The Volume buttons only move the selection up/down, so I can't access the other menus.

Does anyone know how to reset the BIOS on a tablet (short of cracking it open) or another way to navigate the menu or to get my keyboard back?

HELP! Thx.

Last edited:
The POST sequence will discover hard wired devices { mouse & kb } but not bluetooth or USB, so classically you borrow a wired KB to get into the BIOS. The tablet is another matter and we feel your pain.

The POST sequence will discover hard wired devices { mouse & kb } but not bluetooth or USB, so classically you borrow a wired KB to get into the BIOS. The tablet is another matter and we feel your pain.

Yeah. No way to connect a mouse or keyboard w/o going through the USB port. Even the detachable keyboard using an interface on the bottom of the tablet goes through the USB controller. There is a micro card slot, but I suspect it requires the USB driver as well.

Who puts a BIOS on a touchscreen tablet that can't be navigated using a touchscreen???

Ouch - That is awful. Deactivating the USB on a Tablet shouldn't be possible, seeing it is the only option for communication. But debating what should or shouldn't be possible is not helping you. I'm like jobeard, I feel your pain.

Just the other day I was needing to get into the BIOS of a PC and the USB keyboard didn't work. I had to go hunting a PS2 keyboard. I would have been in the same pickle if I didn't have a PS2 Keyboard laying around.

And then there was a Tablet I needed to update Windows builds. I don't have a way to attach keyboard to it yet [MicroUSB adapter is in the mail]. The only option I had at the time was to use a MicroSD card for Windows Install media to upgrade from within Windows. At the moment I have not seen the way to get into BIOS from Windows.

The only option I had at the time was to use a MicroSD card for Windows Install media to upgrade from within Windows. At the moment I have not seen the way to get into BIOS from Windows.
Thx for the reply. If the microSD card slot does not require the USB controller, that is a "potential" means of getting input into the BIOS (though short of a microSD keyboard adapter, I'm not sure how).

Getting back into BIOS without a keyboard isn't a problem in my case. At boot, holding one of the Volume rockers plus the Power button takes you into BIOS, or from Windows 10 (which this tablet is), you can go into Settings, launch the troubleshooter, select "Reset" (which doesn't actually reset anything) and tell it to reboot into UEFI/BIOS.

I just can't get beyond the first page. :(

Deactivating the USB on a Tablet shouldn't be possible, seeing it is the only option for communication.
I was thinking the same thing.

I read somewhere that someone opened their tablet and shorted their tablet BIOS chip to reset it to default settings which regained the use of the USB ports. I've never done such a thing so I can't vouch for it but you could probably google for it. However, keep in mind that doing so could brick the BIOS. That said, your tablet doesn't work now anyway.

Thx for the reply. If the microSD card slot does not require the USB controller, that is a "potential" means of getting input into the BIOS (though short of a microSD keyboard adapter, I'm not sure how).
That is not how I used the card. Installing Windows as an upgrade from within Windows doesn't require USB to load at boot. Windows will copy all files from the SD card before it reboots.

I read somewhere that someone opened their tablet and shorted their tablet BIOS chip to reset it to default settings
Yep, I already found that photo here:

https://yadi.sk/a/tKMmaLO7vAZ83/57d98500f12ea7555ca83140

I'm not (yet) to the point I'm prepared to attempt to crack open my table to attempt this. :D

I recall from my old WinXP days it was possible to Flash the BIOS from Windows. There is no BIOS update for my tablet, but I'm wondering if there isn't still a way to reset the BIOS from Windows in much the same manner?

Flashing the BIOS may not reset any user settings though. Does the Tablet not have a BIOS battery that can be removed?

I recall from my old WinXP days it was possible to Flash the BIOS from Windows. There is no BIOS update for my tablet, but I'm wondering if there isn't still a way to reset the BIOS from Windows in much the same manner?
I think you're still going to need a keyboard for that so I don't think so.

Many look like hermetically sealed, but there's special tools to split open at a seam. Think about it - - the battery has to be replaced in 2-3yrs somehow.

Thx for the reply.

Cracking the sucker open will be my last resort (b/c you KNOW they did something dumb like use clips or glue to secure the cover.) :D

Right now, I'm praying there's a genius out there that knows how to reset the BIOS from Windows (maybe with a DOS bat file?)

Hi. Been watching your thread. Why would the manufacture give you the option to disable the USB ports in the BIOS and not provide a way to restore them? They should be shot. Dumb question, but have you checked with the manufacture. I'm thinking maybe they could tell you how to fix this or send a CD. I know that's hopeful thinking. You have some of the best techs helping you here on techspot. Good luck. I'll keep watching your thread. Maybe it's not that hard to get the sucker open.:DIs there a good repair shop close that could help.

Final update for anyone who was following this thread.

I had to give up. I tried every trick in the book. Nothing worked. :(

Unable to reset the Bios from Windows, I found several sites claiming it is possible to do it from Linux. So I searched around looking for a way to install Ubuntu from Windows without a flashdrive. Unfortunately, Windows-10 makes installing additional OS's difficult (so does the UEFI Bios), but I eventually found WubiUEFI... a "UEFI compatible" version of "Wubi" (a popular old program that installed other OS and a Boot Menu using Windows that no longer worked on computers with a UEFI Bios).

Long story short, "WubiUEFI" didn't work. On reboot, it reports it "can't find" the linux iso, so there's no OS to install.

But it gets worse. "WubiUEFI" relies on "rEFInd"... a third-party (fourth party?) Boot Loader that doesn't support touch screens (which I did not know at the time). With a missing OS as the first choice and no way to move the cursor right to select/boot Windows, I can't get past that menu. So now I have NO working OS! ](*,)

So, left with no other choice, I opened the tablet up. Based on some photos I found online, you should be able to reset the Bios by shorting a single pin on the Winbond FlashRAM chip, but that too didn't work. I obtained the spec sheet and it mentions a "/Reset" pin, but shorting that didn't work either. I tried shorting the pins before, during and after powering on, but nothing made any difference.

I decided to try again to disconnect the batteries in hopes of clearing the Cmos, this time attempting to turn the tablet On 4-Times in hopes of draining any capacitors or residual charge then letting it sit for an hour before reconnecting the power, but despite all that, the old Bios settings were STILL there.

That made me wonder if it was reading the settings from the built-in SSD, so I disconnected it yet the Bios settings are STILL loading. :confused:

So that's it. I can't think of anything else. I will NEVER buy another tablet without a reset button (or w/o a touch-screen bios.) Anyone need an 11.6" lighted serving tray. :(

Crap! I inadvertently disabled by USB ports on my Win10 tablet in the BIOS and now I can't get them back!

I was trying to figure out how to get my Win10 tablet to boot from USB by changing the settings in the BIOS (American Megatrends.) Changing the boot order didn't work. Under the South Bridge Chipset settings, I disabled XHCI to change my USB settings manually and when the computer rebooted, my detachable keyboard was disabled!

I discovered I can get back into BIOS via the Windows Troubleshooter (via Win10 "Settings"), but once there, I can't get past the first menu ("Main"). The touchscreen doesn't work in BIOS.

My tablet has just 3 buttons, Vol -/+ and Power. The Volume buttons only move the selection up/down, so I can't access the other menus.

Does anyone know how to reset the BIOS on a tablet (short of cracking it open) or another way to navigate the menu or to get my keyboard back?

HELP! Thx.
hi I found 1 solution
I have touchmate slimbook. I disabled usb in bios. I searched internet and I found no solutions. so what I did in motherboard. connect the battery to motherboard. make a wire for shorting. power on the laptop. then short bios legs 1234. the laptop will power off. try this 3 or 4 time. do this befor loading the os from bult in ssd. I got my laptop usb started working.

hi I found 1 solution
I have touchmate slimbook. I disabled usb in bios. I searched internet and I found no solutions. so what I did in motherboard. connect the battery to motherboard. make a wire for shorting. power on the laptop. then short bios legs 1234. the laptop will power off. try this 3 or 4 time. do this befor loading the os from bult in ssd. I got my laptop usb started working.
Thanks for the reply. I will try what you suggest.

Eventually, I did end up opening up the tablet and tried jumpering Pin-1 (ground) with each of the other pins, but that had no effect. I never tried to link more than two pins at a time.

I will give that a try when I get a chance (I have long since replaced the tablet but still have it) and report my findings. TIA.

Dears I only registered to give this info...
I have reset my bios by this method but this does not mean it will work for you. This is a dangerous task and I don't accept any respensibility so it is your risk to do or not to do...

Most win 10 capable 2 in 1's has a "Do" & "Gnd" pins somewhere on the mainboard usually around the BIOS chip.

You should shortcircut this pins or jumpers when the battery is CONNECTED.
I have tried several times without power connected and it did not work. When I had tried with battery connected It restarted the system and BIOS has reseted...

I was not able to see anything on the screen or HDMI cause I had changed the primary screen output to stgh else from BIOS but this way I solved the problem...

Most probably it will also solve the keyboard, dock and USB lock issues as well.

Hope will be useful for someone...

HELP! Thx.

Hi tech Friends !

I'm facing the same issue.
I have an Intel wind'tab8. The recovery system does not work so I want to install a new os using usb boot.
When entering the bios, the usb keyboard does not work, I can't change bios boot options.

Any way to open the tablet, disconnect the SSD and install on it a new os using a computer ?

Thanks for your help

The internal SSD in my tablet was hard wired. I suspect the same is true for your WinTab8.

If you accidentally fouled up the BIOS settings, a new OS won't do you any good (and 3rd party OS that support touch screens are rare.)

If there is no BIOS Reset button on your tablet, clearing the BIOS will require additional hardware (even shorting pins on the Bios cache chip won't clear anything but the RTC.)

I purchased the hardware to reprogram the bios, but after finding an identical replacement tablet on eBay for just $50, I never got around to trying one last-ditch effort to fix the old tablet.

Sorry. These tablets are cheap for a reason. :(

M'y bios is ok. I didn't change anything in it.
The problem is that the win8 recovery does not work.
So I need to boot on usb but the keyboard does not work in bios.

I may install a win8 os or have fun and try some Linux or android base os

Definitely don't try to install Android if you have an Intel-based cpu in your tablet. Android is (was?) not compatible with intel-based cpu's.

How trashed is the OS? When you start, can you get a Boot Menu by pressing F8? That would allow you to install Win10 from a Flash drive (I'd avoid experimenting with installing non-Windows OS's until you have a functioning computer again, but as a last resort, Ubuntu 20 now supports touch screens... with some issues.)

Sadly, I've never found a solution to navigating a tablet BIOS without USB support.

Back