Rogers increases broadband speeds and data caps

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Following Shaw's lead, Canadian cable provider Rogers has announced plans to increase speeds and data caps. Hoping to quell increasing criticism of its bandwidth policies, the ISP will make improvements to four of its Internet plans, though only for customers with a DOCSIS 3.0-ready modem.

The cheapest plan, called "Express," will see the smallest change, having its peak download speed boosted from 10Mb/s to 12Mb/s, while its existing 60GB transfer limit remains unchanged.

The "Extreme" tier will have its downstream rate increased from 15Mb/s to 24Mb/s along with having its data cap shifted from 80GB to 100GB. "Extreme Plus" gains a similar improvement, jumping from 25Mb/s to 32Mb/s and 125GB to 150GB.

"Ultimate" subscribers can expect the biggest cap increase with the monthly allowance moving from 175GB to 250GB (the same ceiling residential Comcast users have in the US -- even folks with a 105Mb/s line). However, the Ultimate tier won't gain a speed increase as the download rate will remain at 50Mb/s.

Although an additional 20GB or 25GB might not seem like a dramatic increase -- and it's not -- it is a step in the right direction. That said, we imagine many Rogers customers will be ticked about the DOCSIS 3.0 requirement.

Shaw's adjustments were more drastic, raising bandwidth caps by 100% or more across the board, but its changes weren't entirely catch-free either. Along with improving its existing services, the ISP introduced various new Internet tiers requiring customers to purchase a bundle that includes the company's cable TV service. That defeats the purpose of someone demanding more bandwidth because they've ditched conventional cable TV for web-based video services such as Netflix.

Permalink to story.

Wow! I thought that I had decent internet speed and bandwidth, but I guess not. I've got 6mbps down about 1mbps up and 250gb bandwidth. After reading this, I can see how fast it could add up.

I dont understand this limit thing, must be something they have in dumb **** countries and retarded ISPs.

I got 50/5 no limits, i know my company can provide 111/11 with 500gb limit, but i use easy 500gb a month so (and my isp is the only isp i know in my country with a limit for bandwith, and again only on their largest connection)

I've got ~5mbps/768kbps with a 200GB cap and its the fastest package our provider offers in the area, yet:
"The cheapest plan, called 'Express,' will see the smallest change, having its peak download speed boosted from 10Mb/s to 12Mb/s, while its existing 60GB"
this Canadian plan has twice the download with a third the cap, can you image how fast you would use up 60GB watching nice crisp 1080p streamed movies.

Don't forget we are paying out the ying yang for it.

$45 month approx for 5mbps DL & 512kbps UP. No cap though with Bell Aliant currently.

I pay 70 dollars for my 50/5 no limits, which is pretty standard here for that type of connection.

10mbit is 40 dollars, so the diffrence from there to 50/5 is nothing major.

lol I got comcast with no caps gotta luv comcast business class although no docsis3 over here. I got 16mb/2mb speeds can't wait for docsis3 so can upgrade to faster speeds.

They have fth here too 100mbps down/ but a abismal 2mbps up not sure of the cap.

Okay seems im missing the logic here.

Why is any speed above 10mbit useful if there is a ****ing cap for lets say 250gb?

You can download your cap in 6½ day basicly, you want more speed to what? use your cap faster? :/

Dont get why anyone would ever sign up for having a cap put on their internet, unless it was a grandma that only used it for online banking and a few emails and could get it for a bargain.

My ISP just rolled out DOCSIS 3 on the 14th, and now they offer a 30/5($45), 50/10($65), and 100/15($105) down/up speeds. My previous speed was upgraded from 20/2 to the 30/5 for no price change other than having to buy a new modem, the old DOCSIS 2 modem I had could only get 27/2.5 on speed tests. Luckily there is no monthly bandwidth cap and I haven't heard of one in the near future.

"Okay seems im missing the logic here.

Why is any speed above 10mbit useful if there is a ****ing cap for lets say 250gb?

You can download your cap in 6½ day basicly, you want more speed to what? use your cap faster? :/"

You ARE missing the logic here. It's so when you want something quick, you have it. If want to watch a 1080p movie, well I don't need to plan ahead. I decide on the spot, then I put it to download, go take a pee. When I come back, it's ready to watch. I'm not talking about slow torrents, I'm taking about Mega Upload at least that's what I use for full download speed.

Err, USA and Canada are going the wrong way with this whole Internet thing. Data limitations ? WTF ? We had those like 10 years ago.

It's an artificial limitation, secretly imposed by the movie and recording barons. Looking forward to the day when these fat dinosaurs stop preying on other people's work and start earning their bread.

I wish canada had just a fraction of what countries like South Korea have.

And that means NO CAPS.

The GB limit its bullshit, if they offers you extreme bandwith like 20MB or More...why they will restrict you with hundreds of GB? it has no sense, with more speeds, you will use all of your bandwith really fast, its moronic and they wont stop piracy cuz its not only 1 account....its the entire world, and the prices they suggest its more of the same,

This is the result of CRTC and 'Canadian content/protectionisim, no foreign investment or ownership so really no competition, SHAW & Rodgers, 12 years ago, did a property swap, Shaw controls the west and Rodgers controls the English east. there you a nice tidy monopoly. Bell control's all copper line across the country. so any ISP HAS to use there hubs.

The CRTC is suppose to regulate for the good of the country, so far in the last decade all they've done is regulate to lock in the existing cable and copper companies and allow them to run wild with hob nailed boots on the backs of Canadian's.

They have tried to convince 'us' that the internet is some sort of vanishing and finite resource and that ' the power user next door downloading pirated movies, ( almost verbatim from a print ad), is somehow requiring the poor ISP's to ' buy more internet ', so putting limits and raising the prices were the only way that a multi billion dollar /year profit company could stay afloat.

Booo! They need to get rid of data caps completely!

Data caps are lame! The main reason I do NOT use Internet on my phone.

Looks like we need laws around the world that make them illegal.

Data caps hinder Internet growth and world wide economic prosperity and thus should be illegal.

Guest said:
I wish canada had just a fraction of what countries like South Korea have.

And that means NO CAPS.

why are you guys so uninformed.

North america doesn't have those for one reason.

The distances between cities is far larger than what South Korea, Japan or holland has. Look at the land mass difference between these countries. Then just imagine you have to lay all that pipe who's gonna pay for it.

Trust me I wish we could get 100mbps connections and only pay $25 a month but that is a pipe dream here for now. It also doesn't help that corporations run this country and the government bends to their will.

My point is its not as simple as "o look what they have why can't we have it". When you actually dig down and look at the details you understand why things are like that here.

""why are you guys so uninformed.

The distances between cities is far larger than what South Korea, Japan or holland has. Look at the land mass difference between these countries. Then just imagine you have to lay all that pipe who's gonna pay for it.

Trust me I wish we could get 100mbps connections and only pay $25 a month but that is a pipe dream here for now. It also doesn't help that corporations run this country and the government bends to their will.

My point is its not as simple as "o look what they have why can't we have it". When you actually dig down and look at the details you understand why things are like that here.""

dude! you have no clue what you are talking about you have been brain washed by rogers/bell rep info which is a HUGE BuLL SH#T a friend of mine is a manager at rogers besides my own experience. in Canada we have land mass BUT mostly southern areas have support in cities and big towns! so this whole land mass thing is just a lame excuse for people that are sheep! you get out of the city as it (happens to me all the time) i barely get out of the city i'm talking 20 min and there is no service and i'm talking about southern ontario which is the most populated area in Canada! its because of uninformed sheep like yourself looking for lame excuses for those companies that are making billions in profit and are ripping canadian people off! I have traveled lots and have been to many countries poor or rich and I can confidently say we have the WORST services and most expensive ones (with limits) in the world, its a very sad FACT! so please stop looking for excuses for the thieves. we should perhaps help to do something about it!

Welcome to Canada folks. There is hardly any competition here so our ISP companies have a licence to rape and rob their customers and laugh all the way to the bank.

It's kind of like renting a Ferrari for a ton of money but told you can only drive it down the block and back for 2 mins or else they'll charge you extra.

""why are you guys so uninformed.

My point is its not as simple as "o look what they have why can't we have it". When you actually dig down and look at the details you understand why things are like that here.""

dude! you have no clue what you are talking about you have been brain washed by rogers/bell rep info which is a HUGE BuLL SH#T a friend of mine is a manager at rogers besides my own experience. in Canada we have land mass BUT mostly southern areas have support in cities and big towns! so this whole land mass thing is just a lame excuse for people that are sheep! you get out of the city as it (happens to me all the time) i barely get out of the city i'm talking 20 min and there is no service and i'm talking about southern ontario which is the most populated area in Canada! its because of uninformed sheep like yourself looking for lame excuses for those companies that are making billions in profit and are ripping canadian people off! I have traveled lots and have been to many countries poor or rich and I can confidently say we have the WORST services and most expensive ones (with limits) in the world, its a very sad FACT! so please stop looking for excuses for the thieves. we should perhaps help to do something about it!

You are the sheep here not me. I am a former rogers employee and I my title was higher than manager!

I'm not the type of person that calls into a tech support for help asshat. i've been building computers since I was 10 years old. And I would never believe half the **** those clueless CSR's talk about because I know better i've been on the inside also and I know how they work.

You cannot compare countries that are the size of one province or state to our whole country and expect the same infrastructure for internet. Only Sheep and uninformed people do that. I'm not looking for an excuse for bell or rogers infact I hate both of their monopolies but I'm aware of the cost to business and the expense for the ISP.

I never once said we had the best service in the world and you are not the only one that has travelled but you should use alittle more common sense, instead of calling people sheep.

Back