RTX 3060 enters Steam survey, still no sign of the Radeon RX 6000 series

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Valve’s April Steam survey is here. Last month was a good one for Nvidia, which saw another of its Ampere line, the RTX 3060, finally make an appearance. Sadly for AMD, its Radeon RX 6000 series remains absent from the results nearly six months after the first cards launched.

The latest Steam survey—participation in which is optional among the platform’s users—shows no changes among the top five graphics cards. The GTX 1060 remains on top almost three and a half years since it replaced the GTX 750, followed by the GTX 1050 Ti, GTX 1650, RTX 2060, and GTX 1050.

April saw the RTX 3060’s debut, proving that at least some people (0.17%) were able to grab the elusive card. The month’s largest gains (+0.22%) went to the third-place GTX 1650. Not too surprising, given that Nvidia is increasing supply of the Turing product to ease availability problems—it could top the table in the future.

There were small but steady gains for the other Ampere cards; the RTX 3070 is still the line’s most popular among Steam users (17th place) and was up 0.09% last month. The RTX 3060 Ti (+0.01%) and RTX 3090 (+0.04%) were also up slightly, while the RTX 3080 was a non-mover.

Despite the RX 6800 and Radeon RX 6800 XT launching on November 18, none of AMD’s latest GPUs have broken onto the Steam survey. But team red is performing better in the area of CPUs, where it keeps chipping away at Intel’s lead, having now secured a 29.48% share.

Elsewhere on the survey, the Oculus Quest 2 is the dominant VR headset with a 27.79% share, followed by the Oculus Rift S (20.25%) and Valve Index HMD (16.39%). Windows 10 64 bit has now reached 92.83% of participants’ PCs, and almost half the users have 16GB of RAM in their machines.

Permalink to story.

That’s because the RX6000 series was mostly a paper launch designed to promote their Radeon brand so that AMD can continue to win big contracts with Sony and MS to provide silicon design for the consoles.

That’s why ray tracing is working better on consoles than Radeon and why the Radeon drivers are a complete farse.

AMD will be prioritising Sony, MS, Apple and Ryzen over Radeon. AMD really don’t value PC gamers. From my experience I know of one person able to get a 6800XT and he works for a major hardware retailer, which is how he got it. Although that retailer never listed the big Navi line, in fact very few ever did list it. But I do now know several people who own 30xx series parts at this point.

Even if they are available though, their dismal performance in ray tracing and AI upscaling alongside dismal driver support makes them a poor choice compared to GeForce. I would only buy one if it was significantly cheaper than the equivalent GeForce and if I wasn’t playing AC Valhalla or Cyberpunk. As those games are a disaster on Radeon drivers and don’t appear to be getting fixed.

Since people assure me there's not that much RX 6000 series mining going on and I am honestly too lazy to verify the validity of that statement, I am just going back to what we've said before: This is bad for gamers of course, but good for AMD: Whatever TSMC allocation AMD can get should probably be going to Ryzen and Epyc chips first, although I suspect the less profitable but more contractually important obligations to Sony and Microsoft probably take precedence in their allocation.

But RDNA is very likely a distant third in their priority. In a sense, AMD is even lucky that RDNA 2.0 was "launched" on such a dead gaming GPU generation as the one we have today since it actually is competitive with Nvidia but feature set is not mature yet and once (Or rather, if) this craze is over they get a better opportunity at battling Ampere 1.5 with RDNA 2.5 and see if that actually enables them to start clawing back more market share from Nvidia.

That’s because the RX6000 series was mostly a paper launch designed to promote their Radeon brand so that AMD can continue to win big contracts with Sony and MS to provide silicon design for the consoles.

That’s why ray tracing is working better on consoles than Radeon and why the Radeon drivers are a complete farse.

AMD will be prioritising Sony, MS, Apple and Ryzen over Radeon. AMD really don’t value PC gamers. From my experience I know of one person able to get a 6800XT and he works for a major hardware retailer, which is how he got it. Although that retailer never listed the big Navi line, in fact very few ever did list it. But I do now know several people who own 30xx series parts at this point.

Even if they are available though, their dismal performance in ray tracing and AI upscaling alongside dismal driver support makes them a poor choice compared to GeForce. I would only buy one if it was significantly cheaper than the equivalent GeForce and if I wasn’t playing AC Valhalla or Cyberpunk. As those games are a disaster on Radeon drivers and don’t appear to be getting fixed.
I continue to play games with my Radeon 6900 XT and no problems at all at 4K, with all maxed out: Control, Battlefield 1, NFS Heat, Wolfenstein TNC, SOTTR, Witcher 3, etc. I plan to buy Horizon Dawn Zero soon too. The perf is great, with 120 Fps in Battlefield 1, for example.

For the majority of gamers that don't care about performance obliterating light effects or blur-o-vision in the handful of games that support it, that garbage doesn't matter. AMD had a win on their hands in 1080p and 1440p performance and larger VRAM buffers, but just couldn't get the cards out. Supply has been disasterous, and steam reflects how many they're actually selling.

I won a Newegg Shuffle for the 3090 and x570 Aorus Master combo on Saturday.
Couldn't afford it myself so gave my brother whom has been trying to win one a call to see if he wanted it, being one of the better combo deals.

He's having that and a new PSU shipped here. He's getting a new case, new NVMe Gen4 SSD ( 2TB samsung 980 pro, dudes not messing around, lol),and a GPU stand for support shipped to his place and bringing it all out next weekend and we'll be doing an entire new system build.

Told me I could throw the GPU in my rig if it arrives early and he's not able to make it out, just so I can load up Control in its full 4K RayTraced glory. I sort of want to, but feel I should leave it boxed up. Knowing my luck lately that'd be the one time I fry a component just by handling it somehow.

/Will get a 3080ti or 90 whenever my notifies come up
//or I (or he) manages to win another shuffle and I've got a little more funds available.

Holy ****! There ARE still people who don't understand Steam Survey sucks. It's unreliable, does not cover all Steam users and give simply stupid results.

Proof that Steam, survey sucks: We have following GPU's listed:

- Intel Haswell is CPU not GPU
- Most popular IGP is AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics, with 1.09% market share. Problem is it only exists in following APUs: 2200G, 2200GE, 3550H, 2600H, 2500U. So we may conclude those APU's combined are more popular than any Intel's integrated graphics solution 🤦‍♂️
- AMD Radeon R7 Graphics, no comments
- Intel Ivy Bridge, like Haswell, it's CPU not GPU
- AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics (what)
- AMD Radeon R5 Graphics (right)
- Intel Valleyview Baytrail (this is not GPU)

@midian182: If you make even small research about GPU stats, you'll notice it's nothing better than piece of crap. Steam Survey is not reliable, it has no scientific value.

I expect site like Techspot to do better.

Yeah right. Mindfactory.de statistics tell different story. Those are Real sales from Real shop and even measured in Unites, not percentages:

You can always check those figures if think something is wrong. You cannot do that on Steam survey.

Radeon Top 5 Selling Brand Line

1. RX 6700XT = 1615 Units.
  2. RX 6900XT = 100 Units.
  3. RX 6800 = 80 Units
  4. RX 550 = 50 Units.
  5. RX 6800XT = 30 Units.

Nvidia Top 5 Selling Brand Lines!

1. RTX 3070 8GB = 950 Units.
  2. RTX 3060 12GB = 845 Units
  3. RTX 2060 6GB = 250 Units.
  4. GT 710 = 120 Units.
  5. RTX 3090 24GB = 110 Units.

Paper-launch, phantomware cards.

I literally know most of the Radeon 6K series owners by their first name. You tubers like Linus Sebastian, sundry Tech Journalists and AMD insiders like the famous PR guy on twitter.

Again, Steam survey are NOT sales statistics. That is very obvious thing.

For the majority of gamers that don't care about performance obliterating light effects or blur-o-vision in the handful of games that support it, that garbage doesn't matter. AMD had a win on their hands in 1080p and 1440p performance and larger VRAM buffers, but just couldn't get the cards out. Supply has been disasterous, and steam reflects how many they're actually selling.
It doesn't. Better info above. Based on real numbers you can actually check (unlike on Steam survey).

Again, Steam survey does not tell anything about GPU sales.

Holy ****! There ARE still people who don't understand Steam Survey sucks. It's unreliable, does not cover all Steam users and give simply stupid results.

Proof that Steam, survey sucks: We have following GPU's listed:

- Intel Haswell is CPU not GPU
- Most popular IGP is AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics, with 1.09% market share. Problem is it only exists in following APUs: 2200G, 2200GE, 3550H, 2600H, 2500U. So we may conclude those APU's combined are more popular than any Intel's integrated graphics solution 🤦‍♂️
- AMD Radeon R7 Graphics, no comments
- Intel Ivy Bridge, like Haswell, it's CPU not GPU
- AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics (what)
- AMD Radeon R5 Graphics (right)
- Intel Valleyview Baytrail (this is not GPU)

@midian182: If you make even small research about GPU stats, you'll notice it's nothing better than piece of crap. Steam Survey is not reliable, it has no scientific value.

I expect site like Techspot to do better.

But you missed my favorite, VRAM!

Biggest gainers:

2047 MB 10.72% +0.13%
4095 MB 18.09% +0.17%

Clearly everyone *must* be trading in their 1060s, 1070s, and RX 580s for... ?

GT 1030?
GTX 970?
RX 550?

But you missed my favorite, VRAM!

Biggest gainers:

2047 MB 10.72% +0.13%
4095 MB 18.09% +0.17%

Clearly everyone *must* be trading in their 1060s, 1070s, and RX 580s for... ?

GT 1030?
GTX 970?
RX 550?
Not saying they're doing it but they could make a decent profit trading those cards like you mentioned.

It's pretty clear that AMD just doesn't have the 7nm allocation to make GPUs in the volume that Nvidia can, by a wide margin. Apparently this makes some people feel personally wronged. And those still using the phrase "paper launch" truly have not been paying any attention to the figures coming out of either company, or what the AIBs are saying. It doesn't matter if you produce 1.5x the number of cards if there is 4x the demand. The result is the situation we have now.

Also personal anecdote, I finally gave in and purchased a GPU which I funded by selling off some of my other PC hardware that doesn't get much use (I decided that if the stuff I sell also commands an inflated price the net result is the same as if the new GPU were priced normally). I jumped onto a discord stock update server, and there was a 6800 XT available at the time I decided to pull the trigger, and it had been available for over 48 hours. Not a scenario that's going to play out in every market of course, but common enough here in Aus.

Meanwhile I just watched a Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC (so not the lowest tier, but nothing fancy) sell out immediately for 47% more dollars than I paid for the Radeon, which was a like-for-like tier of AIB card.

So something tells me that even if AMD could pump out the volume, they'd still struggle to get the market share. Apparently for an awful lot of gamers either the concept of "value proposition" is somewhat foreign, or the ray tracing marketing has achieved Apple levels of success.

What happened to the non-stop narrative of attacking nVidia for a “paper launch”, TechSpot? So far AMD has done far, far worse in terms of producing stock, and given they’re the ones on the mature process, and less of a target for crypto miners, the deafening silence on this and the refusal to take back the attacks on nVidia is shocking.

I used to get surveyed by steam every month up until last year. I haven't had a Steam survey probably since Feb 2020. The Steam survey was NEVER accurate when I had two Vega 64's (only reporting one in the survey), the Steam survey never reported my older mining rig correctly (3x RX 580 and 2x Vega 64), and now that I've had an RX 6800 XT since November (yeah, I don't know how either)... STILL nothing about a survey in all that time, plus I've added VR to the damn mix!?

Vram buffers (you know for high res gaming like 4k) yet they still end up losing at these higher resolutions despite the "fatal flaw" of the Nvidia cards being lower vram (you know "ruining" 4k gaming)

Lol

What happened to the non-stop narrative of attacking nVidia for a “paper launch”, TechSpot? So far AMD has done far, far worse in terms of producing stock, and given they’re the ones on the mature process, and less of a target for crypto miners, the deafening silence on this and the refusal to take back the attacks on nVidia is shocking.
It's techspot (aka HUB aka Steve) did you expect anything less? There's a reason he was blacklisted by Nvidia (even if the mob forced them to reverse course).

They had it right from the get go.

It's pretty clear that AMD just doesn't have the 7nm allocation to make GPUs in the volume that Nvidia can, by a wide margin. Apparently this makes some people feel personally wronged. And those still using the phrase "paper launch" truly have not been paying any attention to the figures coming out of either company, or what the AIBs are saying. It doesn't matter if you produce 1.5x the number of cards if there is 4x the demand. The result is the situation we have now.

Also personal anecdote, I finally gave in and purchased a GPU which I funded by selling off some of my other PC hardware that doesn't get much use (I decided that if the stuff I sell also commands an inflated price the net result is the same as if the new GPU were priced normally). I jumped onto a discord stock update server, and there was a 6800 XT available at the time I decided to pull the trigger, and it had been available for over 48 hours. Not a scenario that's going to play out in every market of course, but common enough here in Aus.

Meanwhile I just watched a Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC (so not the lowest tier, but nothing fancy) sell out immediately for 47% more dollars than I paid for the Radeon, which was a like-for-like tier of AIB card.

So something tells me that even if AMD could pump out the volume, they'd still struggle to get the market share. Apparently for an awful lot of gamers either the concept of "value proposition" is somewhat foreign, or the ray tracing marketing has achieved Apple levels of success.

It's both AMD's launch and the quantity of cards they could realistically produce is nothing compared to Nvidia. Call it a paper launch or don't it doesn't matter they could never keep up and their biggest issue and why most yell paper launch is because of all the showboating they did while sites like this and amd fanboys were laughing at Nvidia being sold out constantly. Of the two it's obvous if either were considered "paper launch" it's definitely Radeon. Their ego is why so many are still frustrated with them as they acted like meeting demand wouldn't be an issue for them unlike their competitor.

From their (back when it was pretty much an even split between amd fanboys people looking for the underdog "best deal" kinda card) to now where it's pretty much confirmed the cards are roughly equal in most ways EXCEPT Nvidia has significant advantages in ai and hardware assisted technologies like DLSS and their (better) version of ray tracing.

It doesn't take a genius to see that one but the most devoted of amd fanboys are going to see the added value of this tech in Nvidia combined with the fact that the "underdog best bang for the buck" kinda pricing most had hoped for never materialized.

In fact the pricing of amd cards typically ended up much higher than Nvidia due to a number of issues the biggest being that amd set a price that didn't give their aib partners any room to make money without basically ignoring their msrp.

A pretty clear bait and switch combined with a supposed paper launch its not hard to see why the hype (and market) for their cars has shrunk significantly.

They are a fine choice for those that NEED SOMETHING right now but they certainly aren't what most now desire.

You example pretty much confirms all this.

AMD only had a few places where they could really have the advantage over Nvidia and they blew pretty much all of them.

The only one they managed to hold on is likely the least important (lower res raster) and in all other ways they are pretty much just equal or inferior.

Yeah right. Mindfactory.de statistics tell different story. Those are Real sales from Real shop and even measured in Unites, not percentages:

You can always check those figures if think something is wrong. You cannot do that on Steam survey.

Again, Steam survey are NOT sales statistics. That is very obvious thing.

It doesn't. Better info above. Based on real numbers you can actually check (unlike on Steam survey).

Again, Steam survey does not tell anything about GPU sales.
And you think some random German retailers numbers some how speak better about the global population vs a survey that is a sample of well the WORLD of pc gamers... OK bud keep believing whatever you need to others experiences and the clear numbers multiple discord notification giants I'm on in their "wins" channel tell a pretty different story to what you've found at your local shop.

Heck one dude Australia just spelled out below how radeon cards sitting for 48 hours on his local site at msrp while similar level 30 series sold out in seconds and at 47% price increase.

People just don't want radeon unless that have to take it.

That is except the die hard amd fans but they'll go down with the ship no matter what.

And you think some random German retailers numbers some how speak better about the global population vs a survey that is a sample of well the WORLD of pc gamers... OK bud keep believing whatever you need to others experiences and the clear numbers multiple discord notification giants I'm on in their "wins" channel tell a pretty different story to what you've found at your local shop.
Speak much better since those are Actual Values of Sold Cards. All cards sold on shop to be more precise.

Steam survey is not applicable for all Steam users. It does not say anything about amounts, just percentages from some unknown amounts of randomly chosen users. It's also buggy as hell.

Yes, random German retailer numbers are better in every way than Steam survey.
Heck one dude Australia just spelled out below how radeon cards sitting for 48 hours on his local site at msrp while similar level 30 series sold out in seconds and at 47% price increase.

People just don't want radeon unless that have to take it.

That is except the die hard amd fans but they'll go down with the ship no matter what.
That is because Radeon cards are quite bad for mining. But because miners buy every Nvidia card and AMD cards go mainly for gamers, it again clearly proves how flawed Steam survey is. It's obvious miners do not bother to use Steam...

It's both AMD's launch and the quantity of cards they could realistically produce is nothing compared to Nvidia. Call it a paper launch or don't it doesn't matter they could never keep up and their biggest issue and why most yell paper launch is because of all the showboating they did while sites like this and amd fanboys were laughing at Nvidia being sold out constantly. Of the two it's obvous if either were considered "paper launch" it's definitely Radeon. Their ego is why so many are still frustrated with them as they acted like meeting demand wouldn't be an issue for them unlike their competitor.

From their (back when it was pretty much an even split between amd fanboys people looking for the underdog "best deal" kinda card) to now where it's pretty much confirmed the cards are roughly equal in most ways EXCEPT Nvidia has significant advantages in ai and hardware assisted technologies like DLSS and their (better) version of ray tracing.

It doesn't take a genius to see that one but the most devoted of amd fanboys are going to see the added value of this tech in Nvidia combined with the fact that the "underdog best bang for the buck" kinda pricing most had hoped for never materialized.

In fact the pricing of amd cards typically ended up much higher than Nvidia due to a number of issues the biggest being that amd set a price that didn't give their aib partners any room to make money without basically ignoring their msrp.

A pretty clear bait and switch combined with a supposed paper launch its not hard to see why the hype (and market) for their cars has shrunk significantly.

They are a fine choice for those that NEED SOMETHING right now but they certainly aren't what most now desire.

You example pretty much confirms all this.

AMD only had a few places where they could really have the advantage over Nvidia and they blew pretty much all of them.

The only one they managed to hold on is likely the least important (lower res raster) and in all other ways they are pretty much just equal or inferior.
Jesus, why don't you and Jensen get a room? I've tried ray tracing, and my opinion on it hasn't changed. On occasions where it's actually possible to tell the difference it still isn't worth paying a huge premium for. And DLSS seems like Nvidia trying to have their cake and eat it too. Lets push a minor graphical improvement (that in reality you'll barely notice) as a premium feature, while at the same time marketing a technology that reduces graphical quality - because trust us, you won't even notice! Also pay us more money for the privilege.

Regardless, a graphics card is just a thing that lets me play videogames, I'm not about to stan an enormous American corporation over it. The AMD card does for me exactly what the Nvidia card would do, and in my case for $800 AUD less. Case closed.

Last edited:
Back