RTX 4090 owner launches class-action lawsuit against Nvidia over melting adapters

midian182

Staff member
A hot potato: In a move that should come as little surprise, an RTX 4090 owner has launched a class-action lawsuit against Nvidia over the melting 16-pin power adapter issue. There is still plenty of debate over the root of the problem, but the plaintiff claims he is experienced in the installation of graphics cards, seemingly in an attempt to rule out the popular theory of user error.

The RTX 4090 owner (name redacted) filed the lawsuit on November 11 in California federal court. It claims that Nvidia sold its current Lovelace flagship cards with "defective and dangerous power cable plug and socket(s), which has rendered consumers' cards inoperable and poses a serious electrical and fire hazard for each and every purchaser."

Genova, who bought his RTX 4090 from Best Buy for $1,599.99, points to a Reddit thread that shows at least 26 other users who have experienced the same melting issue.

There have been numerous theories as to what's causing the problem. Igor's Lab reports that adapters made by supplier Astron are more likely to melt than those from NTK. However, Gamers Nexus did a deep dive and concluded that the melting occurs when the connector is partially unseated and the cable pulled at an angle. Foreign object debris, possibly caused by manufacturing error or a design flaw, can also play a part, but this is rare. The channel estimates that the failure rate for the cards is fewer than 0.1%.

While it does appear that the 16-pin adapters are melting because people aren't plugging them in securely enough, Genova claims he is "experienced in the installation of computer componentry like graphics cards" and followed best practices when installing the RTX 4090, but the adapter still melted.

The suit makes several allegations against Nvidia, including fraud, breach of warranty, and unjust enrichment.

Nvidia has not made any public comments on the melting adapters issue other than recently confirming that it is investigating the reports and has nothing to share at this time. It'll be interesting to see how it responds to something which, while impacting a tiny number of owners and appears to be caused mainly by users, has resulted in plenty of memes and mockery.

AMD's Scott Herkalman recently took the opportunity to throw some shade Nvidia's way with a tweet showing the dual 8-pin connectors on the company's upcoming Radeon RX 7900 XTX graphics card.

Make sure to check out our reviews of the RTX 4090 and RTX 4080.

Permalink to story.

Amazing how deafening is Nvidia's silence about 4090 melting and burning power connector drama.
Nvidia went big with power consumption, gigantic card dimension occupying 4 slots, astronomic prices, but chose a small, tiny cable to power up a 450-to 600W 4090.
But behinnd the scene I noticed how sneaky Nvidia is and how desperately is trying to convince customers through some "smart" youtubers and "experts" that is somehow users fault. And those "smart" youtubers and other "experts" are ruining their reputation blaming users instead of Nvidia incompetent and failed design.
Nvidia chose to embrace Steve Jobs mantra to Iphone4 antenna gate: "You keep it wrong".
Well, now we have a new motto from Nvidia to 4090 customers - You bought it wrong!

And check here another Nvidia's news.
:)

Last edited:
If this issue occurs only when using adapters, NVIDIA could just stop bundling adapters and recommend only PSUs with the new spec?

Another new low for Nvidia ..... this company needs leadership that puts quality ahead of everything else and if they can't do so and still make a profit, it's time to close the doors on the business ..... consumers deserve a LOT better .....

If this issue occurs only when using adapters, NVIDIA could just stop bundling adapters and recommend only PSUs with the new spec?
It's happening with straight PSU connections too. It's the 12HVPWR connector nvidia cooked up. Way too easy to not seat correctly, not tolerant of any sort of arcing, way too strict on temps.

There's a reason high amperage connectors are usually, you know, bigger. They could have just used 3x8 pin and not OCed their GPU to the moon, but that would be asking too much of nvidia.

A lawsuit... What, is nVidia not allowing cards damaged by this to be RMA'd? I had just assumed that one of the fools that paid $1,600 for their card would just have to send it in for RMA. If they're being denied, well, serves 'em right for being dumb enough to pay $1,600 for a video card. If nVidia is getting sued, well, serves 'em right for charging $1,600 for video cards with defective parts.

Regardless, I'm lovin' it! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

While gamers nexus seemed to say it was mostly user error, they did seemed to feel that the connector encouraged user error by not clicking in while fully seated making it a bad commector.

There was nothing wrong with the old 8 pin connectors and there is no need for 600 connectors because we don't need 600watt GPUs.

Nobody asked for this and now we're here.

Nobody asked for this and now we're here.
My Prince, I respectfully beg to differ. Everybody was asking for this, but the wanted it on their own terms. You know, "the card should cost $500.00, be only two slots, and draw a maximum of say, 200 watts.

Guess what kidz, the industry hasn't caught up with your wet dreams.

As for melting connectors, part of the blame for that has to be aimed at the females from the PSU. While the solid pins on the VGA can likely handle the current draw, the rinky dink ends on the PSU cables likely can't. So, no matter where the high resistance and heat is coming from, the plastic housings don'/t discriminate, they melt.

I will say, if the current draw gets any higher, you're going to need solder lugs and screwed down connections.

Sumpin', sumpin like thissy here1668794348215.jpeg

Nvidea burned users now the users burning them :)
this is not the way it's meant to be paid :)
I would so laugh if the consumers lose. They're a bunch of self-entitled pricks if they're willing to pay what they paid for a gaming video card and I find this entertaining as hell. :laughing:
Another new low for Nvidia ..... this company needs leadership that puts quality ahead of everything else and if they can't do so and still make a profit, it's time to close the doors on the business ..... consumers deserve a LOT better .....
I don't really agree that the consumers who bought this card deserve better because when I see someone spend $1,600 on a video card, to me, just the purchase itself is a self-inflicted wound. These consumers made the bad decision to buy this card so I have no sympathy for them. They deserve what they got and hopefully, this experience will smarten them up for next time. If not, well, I don't care because they are the biggest reason why I have to pay more for Radeon cards now. Their ignorance and sense of entitlement have wounded everyone else in the wallet. They don't care and so when bad things happen to them, I am darkly satisfied. 👹
It's happening with straight PSU connections too. It's the 12HVPWR connector nvidia cooked up. Way too easy to not seat correctly, not tolerant of any sort of arcing, way too strict on temps.

There's a reason high amperage connectors are usually, you know, bigger. They could have just used 3x8 pin and not OCed their GPU to the moon, but that would be asking too much of nvidia.
Even as the card is, three would have been enough. Each 8-pin connector has a capacity of 150W. Add the 75W coming through the PCI-Express x16 slot and that's 525W of capacity, more than the RTX 4090 actually uses.
Lol remember when Nvidia created bad parts for Apple and ignored Apple?

https://web.archive.org/web/2019121...s-apple-macbook-pros-nvidia-bad-bump-material
Oh yeah, those bumps caused problems in non-Mac craptops too! I remember those days.
Me taking a seat and getting popcorn ready.....

If this will not hurt nVidia image I don't know what else could.
For some, nVidia's image will never be changed. However, the more people buy Radeon cards and see that they're actually fantastic, the more that they'll be willing to not buy nVidia. The same thing happened to Intel when more and more people tried AMD CPUs. All it takes is for people to not fear buying Radeons anymore.
At that point just make a screw in terminals and be done with it instead of gazillion small pins
Like these :laughing: ?:
3505-mrn-brass-term--117aa338-6057-408b-8440-b98aa2ba00f3.png

My Prince, I respectfully beg to differ. Everybody was asking for this, but the wanted it on their own terms. You know, "the card should cost $500.00, be only two slots, and draw a maximum of say, 200 watts.

Guess what kidz, the industry hasn't caught up with your wet dreams.
Oh jeez man, you're killing me here! 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
As for melting connectors, part of the blame for that has to be aimed at the females from the PSU. While the solid pins on the VGA can likely handle the current draw, the rinky dink ends on the PSU cables likely can't. So, no matter where the high resistance and heat is coming from, the plastic housings don'/t discriminate, they melt.
What I think happened is that the metal conductors broke off of the connector but the break was small enough that the current could arc from one end to the other. Of course, since air is an insulator, there would be tremendous friction and that's where the heat is coming from. The wattage involved is actually irrelevant because any electricity passing through air makes the air white-hot (that's what is visible from a lightning bolt).
I will say, if the current draw gets any higher, you're going to need solder lugs and screwed down connections.
See above. :D
Sumpin', sumpin like thissy here

View attachment 88686
Are you sure that will be enough? I was thinking that they'd have to wire it directly to this:
FHMOct10_52-59.qxp-3-1.jpg

Nothing like 240VAC to power your nVidia experience! :laughing:

AMD's Scott Herkalman recently took the opportunity to throw some shade Nvidia's way with a tweet showing the dual 8-pin connectors on the company's upcoming Radeon RX 7900 XTX graphics card.

denzel-washington-training-day.gif
denzel-washington-training-day.gif

Make sure to check out our reviews of the RTX 4090 and RTX 4080.

iWKad22.jpeg

For some, nVidia's image will never be changed.
Thanks the influencers like LTT, J2C, DF and the many others that keep pushing false info and excuses written and paid for by the Nvidia Marketing Team to the many poor souls that go to them for guidance.

Genova claims he is "experienced in the installation of computer componentry like graphics cards" and followed best practices when installing the RTX 4090, but the adapter still melted.
Isn't the whole point of class action lawsuits being that there's sufficient plaintiffs within the same jurisdiction suffering the same significant loss to make legal action worthwhile?

His justification is a single personal anecdote. That's what warranties are for.

US litigation culture is strange.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back