Run dll

learninmypc

848CF237-2A7E-488E-9A1F-8746FE1BDBDA.jpeg I was at a friends house last night & he asked about the above photo. I googled & would like to know if the next post helps?

Hi Here's ways to recover W10. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options
You could run a sfc /scannow to make sure you have no file corruption. https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161
PS the link you posted is also good to use.
Sfc /scannow will inspect all of the important Windows files on your computer, including Windows DLL files. If System File Checker finds an issue with any of these protected files, it will replace it.

Ok, IF you read post #1 , you'll see I don't have access to that pc now. I have sent him the link to this thread so hopefully he'll read it & answer me.

Hi @learninmypc I read post #1. Every time I try to help you, you want to argue with me. How far away is your friend?
What kind of answer were you expecting? Use Team Viewer and fix the problem for him. I'm sure you have heard of Team Viewer.:D PS Have your friend join the forum and you won't have to send him the link ROFL

Where am I arguing with you? He lives in another city & he don't trust TeamViewer.
Hopefully he'll see this thread & do as suggested, thank you. Otherwise I will contact him Friday & tell him to do such.

Last edited:
FYI: RunDLL is always 'questionable' - - WHY?
Because it's a dumb stub that will load ANY dll and give control to its Start procedure. That makes WHICH dll the root exposure.

Now the stink of it is, Windows does this for itself all over the place. For me, the Common\ only contains
upload_2017-11-23_12-52-26.jpeg
So every system will be different. The question is Where did SysMenu.dll come from?

The 'problem Starting...' says
  1. it did not start (so likely the AV or Uninstall deleted it)
  2. but the autostart entry in the registry is still active
if you are comfortable with REGEDIT, login as admin, go to
  • HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-19\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
select the dir name Run and then right-click->Find (key, value, data)
enter SysMenu.dll
If found, DELETE that key and then strike F3 (find again), iterate on if found until no more found

close/ quit Regedit

Reboot

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW: The RUN mechanism can reference ANY directory, not just the Program Files\Common

Hi @learninmypc I think the link you posted in post #2 is the way I would try solving this issue first.(y);)
If you are not comfortable with regedit, I would stay away from the registry. If you decide to alter the registry, create a restore point first. The registry is no place to be messing around.
Let us know how things go.

"A RunDLL "Error loading... message usually occurs when the .dll file that was set to run at startup in the registry or as a scheduled task has been deleted. Windows is trying to load this file(s) but cannot locate it since the file was mostly likely removed during an anti-virus or anti-malware scan. However, an associated orphaned registry entry still remains and is telling Windows to load the file when you boot up. Since the file no longer exists, Windows will display an error message. You need to remove this registry entry so Windows stops searching for the file when it loads."

Last edited:
BTW: Spybot S&D has a icon for Startup Tools
removing the [x] in front of an item in Run, will STOP the autostart and move the entry to a parallel key Run- to save it

Thanks everybody for your input. I talked to the owner & he is going to take it to a computer shop to have them fix it.

Back