S.o.s dead pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
i tried to reinstall my ram now my pc has no signal to monitor no green light just red light no beeb code no boot but all the fans run

First, remove the memory and write down all the stuff on the label... You need to assure you have the correct modules for what the computer wants... If you don't know for absolute sure, go to www.crucial.com and enter all your parameters... see what Crucial says you should have. Then go to www.kahlon.com and do the same thing.
Once you are certain you have the correct modules, then be very certain they are slowly but firmly seated and try again.
Still no work?
Then remove the new memory, and re-install the old memory to see what happens.
Then get back to us if still nothing.

the old memory is what i put back in i tried to use new but it was not compatible so i never put it in i put back the old memory and that is when it died

i tried to reset cmos jumper and took out battery for a whole day just to be sure .i checked my cpu also

any help would be greatly appreciated

This might be a good time to go back to fundamentals... Sometimes you need to go back to the most basic setup and try things, then add more as things work.
First, it would be helpful if you could tell us the brand and model of computer... or if a homebuilt, the brand and number of the motherboard.

Some of these questions will be irritating, but will be helpful in getting you up and running.
1. Do you have a floppy drive in that computer? If not, skip this.
If so, we want to boot to a floppy disk. Do you have access to an MS-Dos boot floppy or a Windows 98 Boot disk, or a Windows ME floppy? Ask your friends. Usually somebody has an old floppy boot laying around in a drawer or case.
2. Disconnect the hard drive. Disconnect all memory modules, while wearing rubber gloves or plastic sandwich bags.
3. Do you have on-board video graphics, or do you have a video graphics card? You want some sort of a video graphics connection. Remove any other cards.... sound, modem, network cards.
4. Insert one memory module.
5. Now you should be down to a floppy disc drive, power supply, video graphics connection for your monitor, CPU fan, and one memory module.
6. Depress the on button. Does the light come on the front bezel?
7. Does the power supply fan begin turning. If not, does it turn 1/4 to 1/2 revolution then quit?
8. If the power supply comes on, do you get any kind of image on the screen? Does it attempt to boot to the floppy disk. Does the floppy disk light come on.
9. If it boots to the floppy and you have an image on the screen, we are part way home. Otherwise, we have more work to do.
10. If it remains dead when you depress the power switch, and the fan does not revolve more than one turn inside the power supply, your computer could be dead, or the power supply is dead, or the cpu fan is dead, or the CMOS battery is dead.
11. If the power supply fan turns but nothing else happens, we at least know we are close to fixing it. Change to another memory module and perform the above steps once more.
12. The idea will be to keep changing out components until it will boot reliably to a floppy disk with a viewable image on the screen.
13. Now get back to us... we are now ready to fix it or toss it.

front red light only. have boot disks but the drive seems to have no power nothing happens doesn't even light up cd and dvd drives either won't even open .i have a vison pc onboard graphics

all fans work fine

You still have not told us the brand and model of the computer, or the motherboard. It will be difficult to be helpful without that information. With that knowledge, we can look at the specifics of the memory, video graphics, power supply, etc.

Front red light, AND power supply fan is turning, and cpu fan is turning.

System does not attempt to boot to a floppy.
All other components disconnected?

So your computer's difficulty is either video graphics card, or memory module that has failed. It could be the motherboard, but no way to know without changing out the memory module and/or the video graphics card.

Can you borrow any of these from another person? Memory module? Video card of some kind that fits.

Tell me this is not an eMachines desktop. Because all that you describe is typical of an eMachines failure. If it is an eMachines, tell us the model number from the label on the back.

my pc is vision, pcchips mainboard , visxp1900a that is what it says on the back

onboard graphics but i tried graphics card also no luck.have no other memory but even i take out the memory still no beeb code

The Vision is a decent budget grade computer, and the PCChips motherboard is not known for failure problems.

I am doing research on that board now.

Nothing useful is found on the Vision website, as they don't list specifications for that model... so lets get back to the tests we were running.

So we have a computer which does not work, and does not boot... but the bezel light on the front is showing red, the power supply fan is turning, and the cpu fan is turning. Right?

System does not attempt to boot to a floppy.
All other components are disconnected: Hard drive, modem, audio?
We can assume the video graphics onboard is good, for now.

Have you replaced one memory module with the other... this is to see if it will boot to a floppy with minimal memory. It would be rare for both memory modules to be bad - you do have two, do you not?

Can you borrow any memory from another person?

Can you see any printed numbers on the exisiting memory modules so we can determine what is needed to test or replace it?

It just about must be memory, or a component you did not reassemble properly.

So first look for loose or disconnected cables... anywhere...

If everything is connected, the problem is the memory... it is either bad, or not installed properly.
You will not hear a beep code for memory on the PCChips motherboard.

yep two sticks can't get ahold of any more now but did not know it wouldn't beeb though

256mb ddr266

dimm 256mb

i think you are right on the button, i thought the same but was thrown of by no beeb code .just found my son actualy pick up both sticks.

All 3 (Dell, HP, and no name) of my computers beep when their is no ram, but I did have a computer that I pulled the CPU out of, then powered it on, I got the same results as described here, powers on (Fans, hd spins up...), screen and other devices stay in standby mode, and thats it.

So this could possibly be a case of a shock to the case and frying out the CPU.

OK, then It must be your PSU, if the HD does not spin up, then I am guessing your CD door wont open? Do you have a Power Supply Tester? They are about $20 at Radio Shack.

Then my final guess is the Power Supply, the switch seems to work, but it is not outputting enough power to run the computer.

Yes, use your meter and test the volts looking for the voltages in the below picture...

atx-psu-pinouts.gif

You will need to short out ps_on in green with ground in order to turn on the supply.

so short the green to the black then it should work?

ok i did that now all fans work excpet cpu fan

what the hell did you just have me do?!!!

never mind the fan works sorry.but still same problem as before

OK, please remember, this is a public internet board, anyone could tell you to do anything, remember, everything anyone says to you here, try at your own risk!

For me, I am telling you everything to the best of my knowledge.

Now, disconnect everything from the PSU, then re-short (switch on) the unit, and with your volt meter, test it.

daniel161 said:
OK, please remember, this is a public internet board, anyone could tell you to do anything, remember, everything anyone says to you here, try at your own risk!.

Absolutely. If I tell you to do something and you follow it and your machine gets messed up, that's too bad. You asked for my opinion.

Anyway, reading this thread, I can't get away from the notion that you either

a) unplugged something, or worked it loose, or

b) used too much force and broke something.

Based on my own experiences of opening machines for many years now, my money is on a) as opposed to b). Are you sure all jumpers, etc are firmly fixed?

again sorry. ok i diconected everything but i kept it pluged into the motherboard when i short it all the fans start without hitting the power button on front of pc .does that mean anything?

yea all jumpers seem fine. like said it all worked before i pulled out the memory .went to put it back in and nothing

evilwayz said:
again sorry. ok i diconected everything but i kept it pluged into the motherboard when i short it all the fans start without hitting the power button on front of pc .does that mean anything?

Ok, Unplug EVERYTHING, even the motherboard, the reason you got that result is because, the power button is connected to the motherboard, and the motherboard to the power supply... So yes that is how you turn it on.

Now that everything in unplugged, "Flip the switch" (Jump it out) and clip a wire their so it will stay on, now get your volt meter and test the leads to the MB and CD/HD/floppy drives if you are getting a wrong reading, then you have a bad PSU, if it tests out ok, then your MB might be bad...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back