Same Laptop, Different CPU: Ryzen 4000 vs. Intel 10th-gen Battle

I won't be upgrading anything: desktop or laptop...till we have DDR5 memory on the table.

I see no reason to upgrade right now and I can wait for intel's 11th Generation Core i9 Extreme...

But the thing is: I really don't feel I need it since I have the last generation Core i9 Extreme and this many cores/threads is already so good at gaming and everything else.

Hell: I might wait till the Twelfth.

If you are NEW to buying a computer, you're already getting a killer steal on everything from 10th generation i3 on up. Alot of people are still gaming just fine on 4th generation and 5th generation CPU.

I won't be upgrading anything: desktop or laptop...till we have DDR5 memory on the table.

I see no reason to upgrade right now and I can wait for intel's 11th Generation Core i9 Extreme...

But the thing is: I really don't feel I need it since I have the last generation Core i9 Extreme and this many cores/threads is already so good at gaming and everything else.

If you are NEW to buying a computer, you're already getting a killer steal on everything from 10th generation i3 on up. Alot of people are still gaming just fine on 4th generation and 5th generation CPU.

Since we don't really know which will be better between 12th gen and Zen 4, why are you already committing to Intel over AMD?. I think 11th gen will still be DDR4.

Are you only gaming with your system? Or do you do other workloads on it?

I don't think I have ever heard of XMG prior to today. Their industrial design looks a lot like what Lenovo has to offer in their Thinkpads (I actually thought you were comparing Thinkpads at first; they also have AMD versions of some of their Intel models)

Since we don't really know which will be better between 12th gen and Zen 4, why are you already committing to Intel over AMD?. I think 11th gen will still be DDR4.

Check out Intel's recent official announcement. 11th Gen Tiger lake to feature "Thunderbolt 4 and USB4, DDR5 RAM at up to 5400MHz"

The laptop itself, I appreciate it's simple design language, and they certainly did not skimp on the ports, and man in the configurator they give you a lot of options for things like memory and storage, including multiple vendors.

That‘s a very curious comment under an article which shows that, given identical conditions, the more expensive Intel laptop gets massacred in productivity and battery life.

Thanks for the article. This really is an eye opener. It shows both what Renoir is capable of in the right chassis but also puts many OEM to shame showing how little care they still invest in their AMD based products.

The most telling benchmark is Handbrake on battery:
However, the Intel system is actually unable to complete the workload on battery, dying just after one hour of use with only 76% of the video encoded. The AMD system in comparison, takes just 43 minutes to encode the video, and finishes with 38% of its battery remaining.

Am really looking forward to the review‘s second part with the gaming results.

Eluktronics is a US based retailer that offers the same TongFang designs, if TechSpot wants more offerings. Perhaps you would be interested in looking into their Thinn 15, a 15'6 laptop featuring a 4800h at 54W, a 12 hour battery life, in a thin design. It's pretty unique compared to previous offerings for APUs, and I'd love to see some reviewers take a crack at it.
I don't think I have ever heard of XMG prior to today. Their industrial design looks a lot like what Lenovo has to offer in their Thinkpads (I actually thought you were comparing Thinkpads at first; they also have AMD versions of some of their Intel models)
They are a german distributor that only serves the EU IIRC. Outside of the EU you never see them.
The laptop itself, I appreciate it's simple design language, and they certainly did not skimp on the ports, and man in the configurator they give you a lot of options for things like memory and storage, including multiple vendors.
TongFang has quickly stripped Clevo of their title for "best gaming laptop maker". They seem to have a much better handle on cooling systems, power delivery, and offer better battery life. They also make a 15'6 laptop with just a 4800h, which has a 54W TDP, and offers 12 hours of battery life or consistently 30-40% better performance then comparable 4700u laptops for under $1000.

I've really been impressed with their designs this year.

Kudos to XMG andTongfang for the honest approach towards AMD.
It‘s interesting that Chinese companies often seem to be more open towards making proper AMD based laptops. Afair, Huawei‘s Matebook was the first Ryzen laptop done right and Lenovo‘s Renoir based laptops seem very nice judging by reviews.

Are the other OEM simply not capable of designing a proper laptop chassis?

1. Core i9 Extreme is garbage for gaming next to Intel's own mainstream CPU's

2. Core i3 10th gen loses to Ryzen 3 in every test including gaming

3. Not sure what you will be buying if precious Intel doesn't get a grip

Last edited:
I've had quite a few cpu's over the years, can't say that I care about what company manufactures them. I've recently upgraded from a 4790k to a ryzen 7 just because I was curious abut AMD and that's all. Am I impressed with the new CPU ?...not rly, I did alot of research and I knew the difference quite well. Could have gotten a 10700k combo for the same price (even cheaper, because x570 mobos are expensive) but the dealbreaker for me was the power consumption. I spend alot of time at my PC and that adds up quite a bit.
Twice and more the performance for the same power consumption is quite an upgrade, but If you also double or triple that power consumption you end up with almost the same obsolete part that you want to upgrade, the difference is that more stuff is crammed up in there.
And to be real...yeah AMD did perhaps get a tiny step ahead of Intel but don't kid yourself, the sleeping blue beast will be awaken soon.

What is painful is actually they don't really have to push that 4800h into the same extended tdp as the Intel because the graphs shown even that the standard 45w ryzen is not too far behind.

Which I would take if I use this laptop and make the battery and temp comparison graph even more contrasting.

Great article, thank you. For both the AMD v. Intel comparison, and for the TongFang chassis.

I notice the AMD model did not make last week's Best Laptops guide. Have these results tempted a reconsideration?

I've seen some smaller Intel based laptops do short benchmarks as good as AMD.
Repeat the benchmark a few times or longer high loads and the Intel models lose 30 to 50% of their "boost" performance compared to newer AMD model with better sustained performance.
Intel were better with light loads or selective heavily optimised use cases. AMD are good competition and good value.

So many pointless benchmarks of multi-core applications where everybody knows AMD excel and not a single game. As I keep saying 99% of people don't give a damn how fast a processor runs Blender. When will this stop? The day AMD produces a processor with good single-core performance I guess...

Back