Samsung could announce a wireless mode for DeX alongside the Galaxy Note 20

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: It's been a few years since Samsung first revealed its DeX system alongside the Galaxy S8, and while some owners benefit from using their smartphones to create a desktop PC, its drawbacks outweigh the benefits. But DeX could become a lot more useful following the Galaxy Note 20 announcement: the technology is going wireless.

Dex in its original form required the use of a dock, mouse, and keyboard to turn a screen into a PC, which meant buying the hefty dock separately and not being able to use a phone when placed in the accessory. Later versions allow connections using just a cable, and a phone's display doubles as a trackpad/keyboard, but the need for a physical connection can still put off potential users.

That might all change with the Galaxy Note 20. As spotted by XDA Developers, there's evidence in Samsung's Tipps app that a cordless feature will be coming to DeX in the upcoming flagship. In a section of the app called "Become a power user," it states: "Use Samsung DeX on a TV without a cable. Start DeX from the quick panel and choose an available TV."

It appears that wireless capabilities will allow the next version of DeX to work on standard TVs, though they might need to support screen mirroring—a feature found in most modern smart televisions.

Additionally, the header of the page includes the word "Dream," the codename for the Galaxy S10 series, suggesting the wireless feature will come to all Galaxy S10 (and later) phones.

Expect to see a DeX wireless mode announced at Samsung's Unpacked event on August 5, where the company will likely reveal several new products, including the Galaxy Note 20, Fold 2, new Galaxy Z Flip, the bean-like earbuds, and more.

Permalink to story.

Let's imagine you went on vacation in a foreign country and you're in a condo that has WiFi.

Do you:

A) connect your smartphone to the television and use it as a computer - knowing you'll need to disconnect it to use it as a "phone".

B) connect your laptop to the television and use it as a computer

C) bring a "mini PC" with you to connect to the television

Let's imagine you went on vacation in a foreign country and you're in a condo that has WiFi.

Do you:

A) connect your smartphone to the television and use it as a computer - knowing you'll need to disconnect it to use it as a "phone".

D) get off of your phone and ejoy your vacation.

Do you:

All 3 being viable. You can carry a "small mini PC" if you have it or if you have a laptop it makes more sense. If you have neither, a phone is a good solution.

I guess with bluetooth you can still use your phone even if its being used by DEX. However, Samsung has had very interesting choices in software recently and removal of their hallmark infinite edge that I could never care to return back.

Most likely Pixel being my next pickup in a year or two.

D) get off of your phone and ejoy your vacation.

I spent last year with half my summer in a condo in the Philippines and the other half in South Korea in a hotel. Many days, I relied on my phone to watch Youtube videos or my laptop for single-player games because internet was so slow. Enjoying your vacation in times of poor weather or "downtime" is eeasier when you have a decent mobile setup.

A laptop or mini pc is a great option.

I spent last year with half my summer in a condo in the Philippines and the other half in South Korea in a hotel. Many days, I relied on my phone to watch Youtube videos or my laptop for single-player games because internet was so slow. Enjoying your vacation in times of poor weather or "downtime" is eeasier when you have a decent mobile setup.

A laptop or mini pc is a great option.
Well that's more "living abroad" and less "vacation".

At that point laptop. Doing any sort of pro work on a mobile device sucks. Even with something like DeX, it still doesnt compare to full blown linux/windows with deaktop programs and a proper keyboard and trackpad.

Does anyone use DEX or has seen anyone using DEX? I really don’t understand why people would! You need to find a desk, a monitor, chair and a keyboard. Then get out a spaghetti of wires and sacrifice your smartphone to do what? Open office documents? Light web browsing? The thing even has a fan! Who wants this!!?

As for me, I use an iPad on holiday as my primary computer. It has a built in keyboard and screen and requires no wires. It’s faster than my Ryzen ultrabook at editing my holiday GoPro footage. I can also use it in bed or on a sofa and on the plane.

I was already thinking of getting the Note 20 so this would be a good plus, but I wasn't really planning on using Dex. It does seem like it could come in handy in a tight spot though...

Does anyone use DEX or has seen anyone using DEX? I really don’t understand why people would! You need to find a desk, a monitor, chair and a keyboard. Then get out a spaghetti of wires and sacrifice your smartphone to do what? Open office documents? Light web browsing? The thing even has a fan! Who wants this!!?

As for me, I use an iPad on holiday as my primary computer. It has a built in keyboard and screen and requires no wires. It’s faster than my Ryzen ultrabook at editing my holiday GoPro footage. I can also use it in bed or on a sofa and on the plane.

Actually, a lot of people use DeX instead of the desktop PC.
I myself am one of them.
No need to overthink the obvious practicality.
I already have a desk, a monitor, and I use my Note 9 only, for 95% of my computing needs..but sometimes I need to do some "work", and in such cases DeX comes in brilliantly.
I just needed to invest in a cable, wireless keyboard and a mouse.
I love it.

Yes actually, people do, I use it all the time on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 5SE, I rarely use normal android anymore...I just find it so awesome and productive, I only use it on my note 10 when docked with my portable screen, dock, keyboard and mouse, I just really like it and if wireless comes next, that will be just what I wanted.

Yes actually, people do, I use it all the time on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 5SE, I rarely use normal android anymore...I just find it so awesome and productive, I only use it on my note 10 when docked with my portable screen, dock, keyboard and mouse, I just really like it and if wireless comes next, that will be just what I wanted.

Edit, I have a portable touchscreen monitor, keyboard and mouse, that when travelling I take with me, the screen is light enough as a laptop, so if I just want full dex, I take only the screen and use the phone as a touchpad and use onscreen keyboard on the monitor, I can do so much more even with that, then just my phone and screen...

Also, at the end of the day, DEX is not unique really, its a hidden mode within native android that not all phone companies choose to utilize, maybe because their hardware cant handle it, alas the note 10 easily out performs my i5 windows laptop in terms of response when working with multiple word docs, excel spreadsheets and powerpoint, not to mention surfing the web, outlook email...all working in dex, so yes I think its great.

Back