Samsung to Microsoft: The Xbox Series X should support ultrawide monitors

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: One of the best elements of PC gaming is the plethora of graphical options at our disposal. It’s something that consoles have been unable to match, but the Xbox Series X could feature a first for the machines: support for ultrawide monitors.

Speaking to PCGamesN, Samsung said it is pushing Microsoft to enable ultrawide aspect ratios on its consoles, possibly starting with the Xbox Series X that launches this holiday season. “We’re pushing, we’re talking,” a Samsung rep told the publication.

With 21:9 and 32:9 monitors becoming more popular, an increasing number of games are supporting the ultrawide format. But while the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X support 4K resolutions and HDR, they’re limited to a 16:9 aspect ratio. You could still hook one up to an ultrawide monitor, of course, though it would mean playing with some distracting black bars down each side of the screen.

The report states that Samsung has previously worked with Microsoft to implement ultrawide gaming on an ad hoc basis, but the feature has never received a public release.

The latest consoles are still very limited when it comes to graphical options; if a game does offer them, it’s usually a straight choice between prioritizing performance or quality.

Microsoft has long been trying to close the gap between its consoles and Windows PCs by adding cross-platform features, but even if the Xbox Series X does have ultrawide support, which is far from guaranteed, it will require games that take advantage of it. However, Microsoft will know that support for PC-style graphics settings will make the console more appealing, especially to those who want to use it with their monitors.

Permalink to story.

I don’t think they would see it that way, console users are usually after a ‘plug-n-play’ experience, kinda like Apple mantra, turn it ON and it works. There will of course be a % of the market that comes from PC and even smaller % who does in fact tinker with their settings but the whole appeal of consoles is you just turn it on and it works, you don’t have to spend time playing with the settings to get to play the game. If anything it should expand on current functionality where the console should ‘detect’ the correct aspect ratio and switch automatically over so again the user has to do as little as possible. Personally I am a PC user so I always spend time to configure everything to my liking and my specs but that’s the beauty of consoles, the specs are pretty much set so all games are programmed to those specs so tinkering is pointless at that stage. I simply appreciate I can just pop a disc in and in a few moments start playing the game straight away and see it in full glory as programmers intended. This is the biggest appeal for me not to mention playing on a big screen sitting on my couch. So yeah, have MS and Sony for that matter recognise the need to support widescreen monitors but limit it to auto detection with manual override if necessary but otherwise keep the plug-n-play intact.

I still think a great way to close the gap between XBox and PC would be to a dual boot, I.e. XBox / Windows 10 PC hybrid model.

:)

It gets to a point that if all a console can do is imitate a PC you may as well just buy the PC. If you're really into gaming but don't have a PC you're missing out so much on top of what the console can do.

This generation I had an Xbox One and a PS4, and the Xbox One has turned out to be the most pointless console I have ever owned. I am happy with Microsoft's decision to launch all their games on PC but it effectively rendered all of their console hardware entirely obsolete for me.

Same goes for any other PC gamer.

It gets to a point that if all a console can do is imitate a PC you may as well just buy the PC. If you're really into gaming but don't have a PC you're missing out so much on top of what the console can do.

This generation I had an Xbox One and a PS4, and the Xbox One has turned out to be the most pointless console I have ever owned. I am happy with Microsoft's decision to launch all their games on PC but it effectively rendered all of their console hardware entirely obsolete for me.

Same goes for any other PC gamer.

It comes down to price: Got the XBox one S for €149 new including a game and a controller during black week two years ago. What kind of gaming performance can I expect for that money on a PC ?

I am also quite sure that the upcoming XBox and Playstation 5 will kick the PC that I am currently building to the curb while costing less and being simpler to use.

It comes down to price: Got the XBox one S for €149 new including a game and a controller during black week two years ago. What kind of gaming performance can I expect for that money on a PC ?

I am also quite sure that the upcoming XBox and Playstation 5 will kick the PC that I am currently building to the curb while costing less and being simpler to use.

Price? Seems short sighted. For me it comes down to value. A PC has far more value for what it can do and what games it can play. Namely nearly everything in the history of video games. Obscure japanese handheld titles to arcade only cabinets. I can't tell you how exciting it is to me the PS3 emulator is coming along leaps and bounds.

At this stage of consoles I would also make a strong case that the accessibility gap is narrower than it has ever been in all history of the console/PC split. Not to mention the fact I can sit there waiting an hour for PS4 to install a Gran Turismo Sport update. Then I have to listen to the cheek of console only gamers bemoan updates and drivers on PC!

The days of turning on a console and playing it are long, loooong gone.

I agree that you can do a lot more on your PC as it gives you more freedom than a console. That's value right there.

Value is also a problem for PC, depending on your personal preferences.

So if a PC that gives me the superior experience costs anywhere from $1,000 to $2,000 more than a console, the PC's extra value competes with the extra value I could get by spending the difference on something else entirely.

I got the XBox because my kid wanted to play Star Wars Battlefront and other games. Saved me a lot of money vs. buying a PC and as a plus I'm much less in a tech support role. The money saved was used to at least partially pay for nice things the wife and I enjoy, giving us better value than a new PC.

But - to each their own as we all have different preferences.

Note: I am building a new PC now and that is partially to stop my kid from nagging that he wants a better one but also because the current one just starts to feel dated (it's an almost six year old dual module AMD APU) and it will be a hand me down to my sister in law who has an even older PC.

Last edited:
I'm surprised to see that these gimmicky curved monitors are still around. Seems like Samsung is pushing them hard on consumers. If Samsung wants their ridiculous monitors to work with a console maybe they should get into the gaming market and release their own console. Then they can make it work with a 9001:9 aspect ratio monitor. A monitor that curves all the way around you in 360 degrees!

I'm surprised to see that these gimmicky curved monitors are still around. Seems like Samsung is pushing them hard on consumers. If Samsung wants their ridiculous monitors to work with a console maybe they should get into the gaming market and release their own console. Then they can make it work with a 9001:9 aspect ratio monitor. A monitor that curves all the way around you in 360 degrees!
I had to make an account just to say that this is the stupidest comment I've read so far in 2020. Your beloved console can't even provide a solid 60fps @1080p experience (and lmfao at upscaled 4K) with the vast majority of its library the same way this new gen of consoles coming up will not provide a consistent 60fps experience at 4K. The hardware at the time of conception was not and is not up to snuff to this day. May as well add support for resolutions in between. Curved monitors are not a gimmick, but your logic is. Get a clue.

I had to make an account just to say that this is the stupidest comment I've read so far in 2020. Your beloved console can't even provide a solid 60fps @1080p experience (and lmfao at upscaled 4K) with the vast majority of its library the same way this new gen of consoles coming up will not provide a consistent 60fps experience at 4K. The hardware at the time of conception was not and is not up to snuff to this day. May as well add support for resolutions in between. Curved monitors are not a gimmick, but your logic is. Get a clue.
Now I had to create an account just for this.....

How is his comment stupid? Who cares if a console can do solid 60fps or not? If thats the case why dont you buy pcs for people who cant afford them in order to play at 60fps?, consoles are convenient, power on, load up a game and play, its an affordable way of playing games, ofcos with details being cut down due to power etc, and as for the display, well I for one dont give a damn about curved widescreen monitors and im both a pc and console player, maybe you should get a clue before you insult others on their opinions, and YES samsung gimmicks still progress cause people keep entertaining it, also, not everyone Keeps monitors in their lounge which most console players setup their stuff.
Ever thought about that?

This is bad idea because the game developers will have to optimize the game for other than 16:9

Now I had to create an account just for this.....

How is his comment stupid? Who cares if a console can do solid 60fps or not? If thats the case why dont you buy pcs for people who cant afford them in order to play at 60fps?, consoles are convenient, power on, load up a game and play, its an affordable way of playing games, ofcos with details being cut down due to power etc, and as for the display, well I for one dont give a damn about curved widescreen monitors and im both a pc and console player, maybe you should get a clue before you insult others on their opinions, and YES samsung gimmicks still progress cause people keep entertaining it, also, not everyone Keeps monitors in their lounge which most console players setup their stuff.
Ever thought about that?
PAUSE. What happens when you start up a game on your post-ps2 console? Patch downloading, firmware updating, and the occasional crashes. Oh wait, your Xbox 360 has a hardware failure and is showing it with a red ring or maybe your Wii has bricked because you read a guide thought you'd try to get some free games? Welcome to the PC landscape. Consoles affordable? Oh, hi Steam sales. Console hard drive full? Hahahahaha. There is something to counter any argument you have in favor of consoles besides friends and maybe space constraints. Consoles have been copying PCs for years and if you're going to emulate greatness, may as well do it down to the finest details or just go the Nintendo route (I also own a Switch hurr). I will retract my statement regarding what is a gimmick and what is not, because that is subjective thus I'll honor no more arguments regarding it. However, 3440x1440 provides more viewing area than 1920x1080 as does 2560x1440 (my non-curved secondary monitor) which provides a better gaming experience and that's an objective fact. Counter that. And it seems you've missed my point. Microsoft and Sony brag to NO END when a game launches on its console than can hit 60 fps (Forza), but those games are few and far between because they know they don't have the hardware to push AAA titles.

Last edited:
This is bad idea because the game developers will have to optimize the game for other than 16:9
I'll take a game release delay if it means supporting nom-standard resolutions. 343 industries did it for Halo: master chief collection and I have never been more happy to grind through the legendary crawl. Worth the purchase just for Halo: Reach.

Back