Samsung's 870 Evo maximizes the potential of SATA SSDs

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Offered in capacities ranging from 250GB to 4TB, the 870 Evo packs Samsung’s “latest” controller and V-NAND 3-bit MLC (TLC) flash memory to reach sequential read / write speeds of up to 560MB/s and 530MB, respectively, which is right at the limit of the SATA III specification. Random read / write speeds, meanwhile, are rated at up to 98K and 88K IOPS.

Samsung didn’t reveal its full hand of incoming products during the virtual Consumer Electronics Show last week. We know that because on Tuesday, the South Korean tech titan let us in on its latest consumer-facing solid-state drive.

The new 870 Evo SSD is aimed at “casual” laptop and desktop users, delivering what Samsung describes as a “compelling mix of performance, reliability and compatibility.”

Samsung said its latest offers roughly a 30 percent improvement in sustained performance compared to the 860 Evo. Endurance varies based on which capacity you opt for, but all come backed by a five-year limited warranty.

These new drives aren’t nearly as fast as the latest PCIe drives on the market, but you won’t pay nearly as much, either, and compatibility is much broader. Pricing starts at just $39.99 for the 250GB model and scales up to $479.99 should you require 4TB of storage. Look for them to start shipping this month.

In the event you need even more than 4TB of space, Samsung's 870 QVO SSD from last year might be worth a look.

Permalink to story.

I need to see more SSD's hit lower than $100 per TB.

I bought Samsung's QVO 8TB. So far, no complaints whatsoever. I wish we had 10TB available but for the time being, I'll be OK.

I don't know what are they smoking, raising prices on these...

They want $250 for 2TB version, which is exactly the price for which a 2TB M.2 drive sells on Amazon, one which has 6 times the performance (PCI-e 3.0)

Considering just how behind the curve these drives are in terms of speed, a 2TB version should be selling for $99 today, not $250. Otherwise, it is a fool's investment.

Last edited:
Sales must be down.
I don't think Samsung is a top tier company when it comes to phones and storage anymore.

EVO's are for casuals..... wow.

"Samsung said its latest offers roughly a 30 percent improvement in sustained performance compared to the 860 Evo."

They will have to expand on what they mean by this.

Is that sustained Read or Write, what was the capacity of the drive when the test was run?

Those performance claims don't mean much unless they detail it.

EVO's are for casuals..... wow.

I don't consider myself a casual and I run 2x1TB 860 Evo's for my Raid 0 setup for a games drive.

The usage was only to run my games from the drives so there was no need to spend the extra money on the pro models since my use case would not benefit from it.

I know mine has improved the performance of my laptop significantly, to the point that I no longer think of replacing it, at least not in the first half of this decade .... after that, well, maybe a faster drive! LOL

I don't consider myself a casual and I run 2x1TB 860 Evo's for my Raid 0 setup for a games drive.

The usage was only to run my games from the drives so there was no need to spend the extra money on the pro models since my use case would not benefit from it.
So much wrong with this comment I wouldn't know where to start.

"Samsung said its latest offers roughly a 30 percent improvement in sustained performance compared to the 860 Evo."

Is that sustained Read or Write, what was the capacity of the drive when the test was run?

I found those additional details on THG

"Samsung uses the latest 128-Layer 3D TLC NAND technology (same as the 980 Pro) for its 870 Evo, which could boost read and write speeds by up to 10% (if the SATA 3 interface will allow it) and increase queue depth 1 performance by up to 30%. "

You said the RAID was for games.
Even the fastest NVMe isn't even 5% faster than a single SATA SSD.

Now I understand.

You made the assumption that I put the Raid 0 together looking for extra performance which I did not.

I choose to go Raid 0 because I wanted a single storage space for the games instead of spreading it over two drives.

Next time ask.

Now I understand.

You made the assumption that I put the Raid 0 together looking for extra performance which I did not.

I choose to go Raid 0 because I wanted a single storage space for the games instead of spreading it over two drives.

Next time ask.
I think you're confused about RAID arrays.

"RAID 0 is best used for storage that is noncritical but requires high-speed reads and writes."

"RAID 0 is best used for storage that is noncritical but requires high-speed reads and writes."
So you'd have both drives separate? And have to manually add another drive into Steam and what not to install games?

There's other benefits to having the RAID as well, like moving games to and from an NVMe drive or fast external storage is now twice as quick.

At this moment in time what's the point of a SATA SSD being on par with NVMe price-wise? (And I have still stacks of 1/2TB 850/860 EVOs) Assuming system is M.2 capable, for bulk storage (movies, fotos and stuff, basically WORM drive in nature) you are better off with 2/4TB ADATA Spectrix s40g than any 2/4TB SATA. SATA would be kind of relevant if 4TB models were say 250$ at most not nearly 500$. I was amazed when I bought 2 Intel 660p 2TB 2 years ago as WORM bulk storage. Now there is even better stuff in same price range on a single stick.

I know that NAND prices dictate everything, but SATA drive equal in price of same size NVMe is just Nuts, with capital N.

So you'd have both drives separate? And have to manually add another drive into Steam and what not to install games?

There's other benefits to having the RAID as well, like moving games to and from an NVMe drive or fast external storage is now twice as quick.
Your "other" benefit is the reason for its existence. I said that already.
It's like saying the other benefit of using shaving foam is you can use it to shave.

It means more ram and slc cache in the controller

lmao

I'm not confused at all that configuration is how I have it set for my needs.

It doesn't need to meet your definition of why one should use a Raid 0 array.

Do you actually have a point now or just arguing for no reason?

This is a side benefit yes my primary drive in the system is a PCIe 4.0 drive, but I don't do game transfers too often.

Last edited:
lmao

I'm not confused at all that configuration is how I have it set for my needs.

It doesn't need to meet your definition of why one should use a Raid 0 array.

Do you actually have a point now or just arguing for no reason?

This is a side benefit yes my primary drive in the system is a PCIe 4.0 drive, but I don't do game transfers too often.
You said you did it for speed and I challenged you.
Then you said it was for convenience and incorrectly described a RAID 0 raid array.

I think we're done here.....

Then you said it was for convenience and incorrectly described a RAID 0 raid array.

Quote my post where I said I did it for speed please.

Since you are going to make stuff up to support your argument.

lol incorrectly described a Raid 0 array

ok you are just trolling or reading comprehension isn't your thing.

We are indeed done because you have no actual points to discuss you are just trying to one up someone and I don't have time for child's play.

No he didn't, he specifically stated he didn't go for the Pro drives because they're of no benefit.
Ok, I'm starting to think you're the one who doesn't know his RAID arrays. His description was fine:
I run 2x1TB 860 Evo's for my Raid 0 setup for a games drive.
What's you're issue?
What a confusing load of comments from you on this thread. You challenged Lionvibez's knowledge on RAID arrays for some reason and you've not corrected anything? You've just gone "Your wrong" and then not explained why he's wrong? All you've done is describe RAID0 to someone already running a RAID0 Array?

Back