Samsung's new 98-inch QLED 4K TV starts at $8,000, but promos make it way more affordable

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Editor's note: Samsung has announced reservation and pre-order promotions for its latest 98-inch QLED 4K TV that might be too attractive for some to pass up. As tempting as it might be to drop a mammoth 98-inch television into your living room, you'll want to ensure there's enough space to accommodate it. Samsung recommends a minimum viewing distance of around 10 feet for the best experience and even that might be a little too close for some.

Sammy's 98-inch Class Q80C QLED 4K TV carries a base price of $7,999.99. That's two grand less than the 98-incher TCL recently dropped, although that model is of the mini-LED variety. From now through July 2, those who reserve Samsung's new set will receive a $500 credit that can be used toward their purchase.

That brings the effective price down to around $7,500, but the deals don't stop there. If you place your order between July 3 and July 23 when the pre-order window opens, you'll get an extra $1,000 instant savings, putting your total out-of-pocket at about $6,500.

Samsung will also throw in a Q-Series 5.1.2 channel wireless Dolby Atmos Soundbar system (model Q800C) absolutely free. The 360 watt system comes with an 8-inch subwoofer and normally sells for $1,000 on its own. You'll also get free delivery and in-home installation on everything.

To recap: You're looking at $6,500 for a decently spec'd (but not top of the line) 98-inch QLED 4K TV and a stout soundbar system, plus delivery and installation all rolled in. That's not a bad deal.

As mentioned, this specific Samsung set doesn't use mini-LEDs but rather, more conventionally sized LEDs with Direct Fully Array backlighting. You also get Samsung's Neural Quantum Processor with 4K upscaling and Quantum HDR+, as well as Dolby Atmos, Object Tracking Sound Lite, and Q-Symphony 3.0 audio technologies.

The television industry has come a long way in a relatively short amount of time. It wasn't all that long ago that 19-inch CRT sets were the norm and large TVs were typically 32-36 inches.

Permalink to story.

I think it's funny. Imagine 98 inches of trash. I don't watch much TV. I just cancelled DTV. I decided I didn't want to pay for 99% junk. So now I watch whatever I can stream for free. It's 98% junk but it isn't costing me an extra $140 month.

If you are sitting 14' away from this thing the apparent size will be 30°. Sitting 10' away will let you see more detail, which is why they recommend it. However I have read articles about that such a large image is tiring on the eyes so while it is fine for movies it may not be great for continuous viewing.

A few years from now, even this size will be ordinary household item in every middle class home. Best not be the first purchasers when it comes to to tech. Day 1 buyers are suckers, IMHO. I follow the same principle in games too. Never buy a new game. After a year, or even after a few months, there's bound to be a sale, at least 50% off.

But I must thank the pre-purchasers. They help the companies to survive. And once the heat cools down, the products enter into the sale phase.

For 98" I would want more than 4K res. 6K would be nice but that'll never happen so it would need to be 8K. That would suck down about 2.5-3kW I reckon.

Earth to Samsung: There is hardly ANYTHING worth watching on TV, no matter how big, pretty and expensive your TV is!!

And somebody remind me: How many US TV outlets are transmitting in 4K??

"It wasn't all that long ago that 19-inch CRT sets were the norm and large TVs were typically 32-36 inches."
About 30 years ago then......

Back