Samsung's new Galaxy S23 FE delivers flagship-esque features starting at $600

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In a nutshell: Google recently introduced its new Pixel 8 smartphone, but it's not the only premium Android handset hitting the market soon. Samsung has announced a new variant of the flagship Galaxy S23 it launched earlier this year, and it'll be available later this month at a reasonable price.

The new Galaxy S23 FE (short for Fan Edition) features a 6.4-inch FHD+ dynamic AMOLED 2X display with an adaptive refresh rate (60 – 120 Hz) that utilizes Corning's Gorilla Glass 5 cover glass. The handset is powered by an unnamed "advanced 4nm processor" (reportedly either a Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 or an Exynos 2200 depending on the region) with up to 8 GB of RAM and 256 GB of storage, and carries an IP68 rating against dust and liquid.

Three cameras are positioned on the rear of the device including a 12-megapixel ultra-wide with f/2.2 aperture and a 123 degree field of view, a 50-megapixel wide-angle camera with f/1.8 aperture and a FOV of 84 degrees, and an 8-megapixel telephoto with 3x optical zoom, f/2.4 aperture and a 32 degree FOV. The front-facing camera is a 10-megapixel shooter with an 80 degree FOV and an f/2.4 aperture.

A 4,500 mAh battery comes standard and according to Samsung, it is good for up to 21 hours of video-watching. With fast charging, you can get a 50 percent charge in 30 minutes using an optional 25W adapter.

Samsung's latest ships with Android 13 and supports most common network and connectivity standards including Wi-Fi 6E, Bluetooth 5.3, and 5G.

Samsung's Galaxy S23 FE starts at $599 and is being offered in purple, black, white, orange, and light green colorways. Availability will vary depending on your local market; according to Samsung's website, the S23 FE will drop in the US on October 26.

Samsung also introduced Fan Editions of the Galaxy Tab S9 and S9+ and the Galaxy Buds, starting from $449 and $99, respectively. Both will be available in the US starting October 10 in a variety of colors.

Permalink to story.

Seems like a good deal

As I've been to a few cancer related funerals recently and at the same time heard about the French banning the iPhone 12 I started looking at the radiation on smartphones (as I wanted to upgrade my iPhone SR) and then bought the old Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G with head rating SAR of 0.19 W/kg (head) which is considerably better than most newer models. Was looking at Ultra and Max models prior

Readings for the model described here is Ok and within limits defined by government bodies but you'd think Samsung would improve on the old Note rather than get worse.
SAR 0.95 W/kg (head) 0.88 W/kg (body)
SAR EU 0.96 W/kg (head) 1.30 W/kg (body)

Back