Second Hard Drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kesler

Okay my business build is complete. Everything is running fine. My intent was to install a second hd. The computer recognizes it however I don't know how to usr it as a backup if my C drive with the operating on it with my files does not see it . Iwas hoping to be able to drag and drop everything from my C drive to it. What do I need ti do to be able to use it as a backup drive. Does it make any sense to install a OS on it?

There is no need to install an OS on it but you do have to create a partition on it and format it.
Go to Administration Tools in the Control Panel, Computer Manager, Disk Managment and you should be able to see the drive. Use the tools under properties to set the drive up.
Once this is complete you can drag and drop files across to it from within Windows Explorer.

If you mean backing up personal data, following Albert's post will get you there. =)

If you mean to make a copy of your hard drive in the sense of recovering from it, including including the operating system. You may want to consider using the manufacturers utility (assuming you have the same brand HDD's) or get one of those all in one util's to mirror the data (but not necessarily partitioning information) of one drive to another. Or buy Norton Ghost, its good at making DVD back ups of entire hard drives.

good luck~

MBV1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back