Sega's Genesis Mini 2 will ship with a well-rounded bundle of 60 games

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? Sega of America has finalized the collection of games that'll ship on the Genesis Mini 2 later this year. The pint-sized throwback will pack 60 pre-installed classics including a handful of titles that were exclusive to the Sega CD add-on.

Highlights from the 16-bit cartridge catalog include ClayFighter, Earthworm Jim 2, Fatal Fury 2, OutRun, Super Street Fighter II, Super Hang On, ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron, Virtua Racing and After Burner II.

Curated games from the Sega CD library include Sonic CD, Ecco the Dolphin, Ecco: The Tides of Time, Final Fight CD and the FMV classic Night Trap. Seven bonus titles also come bundled with the console, most of which are ported from other systems or were never released.

It's impossible to please everyone but it feels as though Sega has done an above-average job with its game selection. I was a bit down on the partial game selection that Sega previously revealed but the full collection has really come together. NBA Jam and General Chaos would have pushed it over the top for me, but we can all dream. The inclusion of Sega CD titles is particularly intriguing as the introductory $299 price tag of the add-on optical disc hardware prevented many from enjoy these titles in the 90s.

The Sega Genesis Mini 2 launches on October 27. North American shoppers will only be able to order the system through Amazon, and will have to pay a $21.99 delivery fee to cover the cost of importing the system from Japan. Your total out of pocket cost will be nearly $122.

The console started life as a Japan-only project – the Mega Drive Mini 2 – but eventually decided to make a model for sale in North America. Unfortunately, the global semiconductor shortage limited Sega's ability to manufacture the machine. As such, Genesis Mini 2 consoles manufactured will only equal one-tenth the total production of the original Genesis Mini.

I am still holding out hope that Sega will reconsider making a Dreamcast or Saturn miniature console.

Games List

• After Burner 2
  • Alien Soldier
  • Atomic Runner
  • Bonanza Bros.
  • ClayFighter
  • Crusader of Centy
  • Desert Strike: Return to the Gulf
  • Earthworm Jim 2
  • Elemental Master
  • Fatal Fury 2
  • Gain Ground
  • Golden Axe 2
  • Granada
  • Hellfire
  • Herzog Zwei
  • Lightening Force: Quest for the Darkstar
  • Midnight Resistance
  • OutRun
  • OutRunners
  • Phantasy Star 2
  • Populous
  • Rainbow Islands Extra
  • Ranger-X
  • Ristar
  • Rolling Thunder 2
  • Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
  • Shining Force 2
  • Shining in the Darkness
  • Sonic 3D Blast
  • Splatterhouse 2
  • Streets of Rage 3
  • Super Hang-On
  • Super Street Fighter 2: The New Challengers
  • The Ooze
  • The Revenge of Shinobi
  • ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron
  • Truxton
  • VectorMan 2
  • Viewpoint
  • Virtua Racing
  • Warsong
  • Ecco the Dolphin (Sega CD version)
  • Ecco: The Tides of Time (Sega CD version)
  • Final Fight CD
  • Mansion of Hidden Souls
  • Night Striker
  • Night Trap
  • Robo Aleste
  • Sewer Shark
  • Shining Force CD
  • Silpheed
  • Sonic The Hedgehog CD
  • The Ninja Warriors
  • Devi & Pii
  • Fantasy Zone
  • Space Harrier II (+Space Harrier)
  • Spatter
  • Star Mobile
  • Super Locomotive
  • VS Puyo Puyo Sun

Permalink to story.

So, is this, just a facelift with more games? Pretty boring, because it`s going to get hacked soon enough to accept the entire library. Hopefully, the internal storage is bigger. But Sega, just bring Dreamcast already!

Two of my favorite games, alladan and the lion king aren't on it but atleast sonic and Echo the Dolphin are on there

Two of my favorite games, alladan and the lion king aren't on it but atleast sonic and Echo the Dolphin are on there

Disney probably wants too much money for the licensing right to release the Lion King and Aladdin.

I've got Aladdin for the Sega....technically, it's the wife's Sega and her game, but we have it and it works. Got Sonic, Sonic 2, Sonic & Knuckles, Columns, Aladdin and a Garfield game. Kids used to play the Sonic games, but that was probably 4 years ago when they last played it.

In the list above I'd have to say my go to games would be:
Phantasy Star 2 (where are all the other ones?)
Shining in the Darkness
Shining Force 2 (though I like the first one better)
Populous

This is a very good selection of games! Lots of great titles. Something for everyone!

Sega, Make more!

Can't please everyone with limited amount of games so this has no practical use, just a collector's thing. I'd rather turn on my Xbox or playstation 2 and play genesis games which I like instead.

Can't please everyone with limited amount of games so this has no practical use, just a collector's thing. I'd rather turn on my Xbox or playstation 2 and play genesis games which I like instead.
You might be failing at context here. This product is aimed at the retro-enthusiast consumer whom can appreciate the product for what it is and represents. It is not for the casual player. So very clearly, it is not marketed for someone like yourself.

Ok, I get that this generation is prob the most unimaginable yet with its constant rehashes of things from the past. But, how about we put all that focus onto more present and future projects? Sega was great back in the day, but I wouldn't spend a dime to go back when the present and future have so much potential. Retro is cool and all, but let's stop living in the past. This, to me, is just lazy. Rehashing the past to make some sales, no thanks. Go work on competition for the PC, Xbox and PS. Bring a new Sega Genesis, then I'll be impressed. Or even better, push a streaming service like Geforce NOW so we can game anywhere and everywhere.

Back