Selective device blocking... is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fiddler

Would it be possible for network admin to selectively block a device from accessing the company wireless network?
The reason for my question is that I think I may be the victim of such an act.
After a difference of opinion with the guy who looks after/controls the company network, I am no longer able to connect to the network using my htc touch phone. I know he changed the passkeys but I have managed to find the new ones from a laptop using ubuntu, but although I try to log on using the new passkeys (which work in the case of the laptop) I am unable to connect.
I may point out that network access is purely for recreation purposes and in no way connected to my job, so I have no legitimate reason to complain to the management.
:suspiciou

It is indeed very possible to block a device from entering your network. You'll need the mac address if I am not mistaken. Also remember that if you have a device that has an assigned IP address and you try to log on the network with a device using the same IP, it will be rejected. That shouldn't be a problem today considering modems automatically assign IP's. They could have a closed network as well. I'm not 100% sure on this, and please someone correct me if I am wrong, but there is a way to assign IP addresses that allowed on the network, and lock out all others. If this has happened you won't be getting in, unless of course, you are a cracker, which you obvioulsy arn't, and neither am I.

If this has happened you won't be getting in, unless of course, you are a cracker, which you obvioulsy arn't, and neither am I.

I wasn't.........until now, well I still am not, but I would like to be able to crack this thing, as you can imagine.

On a side note.......if network admins only allowed certain access to their networks, and blocked all others.......wouldn't that negate the possibility of anyone trying to illegally access the network..which apparently happens quite often?

Wouldn't it be easier, from a system administrators point of view to just remove the drivers that provide the interpretation of content for hand held devices such as yours from the network O/S. Which if you could, would make "cracking into" pointless because no matter how high or low you search there would be no content, available to form content on your device? I'm probably not even close just a thought, that's all.

Device control is now necessary in the Corporate world -- there's just to many devices which can be
used to infect (even unintentionally) the system or to 'copy' Intellectual property illegally.

Several products are available to manage this quagmire and to limit access by
USB type (thumbdrive,access point,..., MAC(if any), cell phones)
and to log all such attempts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back