Serious OS failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so let me put this as straight forward as I can

My g/f has a HP Pavillion dv5000 laptop

I came over tonight and noticed it was running slow and that it had updates pending so I first DLed and installed AVG Free version and some Auslogics defrag software

Defragged the registry and updated (to SP 3) it then restarted it

Was fine till about an hour later when my g/f was casually doing stuff on facebook and it blue screened

After that it proceeded to not boot up no matter what. Every time I tried it would blue screen at the welcome screen, didn't matter if it was "safe mode" safe mode with whatever or best known, all of those didn't work, blue screen from all

So I tried to boot it up from my WIndows XP black edition disc. Why?? B/c when i booted it from disc I could at least get the option to format the hard drive since I figured saving it at this point was out of the question. I put in the disc and it booted from that and I was given several options, one of which was completeing format hard drive (quick) or (long)

I chose quick and it started and got to about 20% then blue screened now when i try to boot from the same disk it won't even give me the previous options I got the first time. Instead when it gets to "booting windows" it blue screens, heres what it says

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup ultilties. check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical Information:

***STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902FE, 0xF7C20940, 0xF7C2063C, 0xF6565213)

*** ntfs.sys - Address F6565213 base at F64F0000, Datestamp 48025be5

Please help me solve this problem. I really feel bad about this b/c I was just trying to help her. I can't run CHKDSK b/c it won't boot from the CD or regularly

What has happened??? Can I fix it somehow or is the only solution to buy a new hard drive??? Please let me know ya'lls expertise in the matter

Thank you

The hard drive may have failed. Your only choice is to replace the laptops hard drive at this point. By formatting, there is no data to save, although the bad hard drive itself may be salvageable later

Inadequat memory, or failed hard drive. Since it happened after an install of SP3, I am betting on the meemory until you tell us the band, model, and configuration of the laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back