Shell.exe Fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprandel17

I'm having the shell.exe problem that I'm sure man of you are familiar with. Today I was sitting and working on the computer and it started going really slow, I restarted hoping my problem would go away. The computer booted up and right away. BAM! Could not find shell.exe or whatever that error message says, taskbar has the yellow triangle with the "!" in it and it's saying that I have a spyware problem. Computer shuts down. I'm in safe mode, I've found a ton of fixes but most of the programs wont run in safe mode, I of course cant even get smitfraudfix to run because I cant get the search part completed before it shuts down in normal mode. Long story short: I need a shell.exe fix that runs 100% in safe mode.

I suspect that most of the programs won't run in safe mode is itself a suspicious thing. Try googling THAT problem and see if it yields any hints.

You can also note that it is SHELL.DLL in system and system32, there is NO shell.exe on my PC. Try replacing shell.dll from c:\i386 in recovery mode or by running a Linux NTFS recovery CD (downloadable from many places)

YOU don't have a shell.exe and that's why you aren't having this problem lol. I open task manager because it even runs in safe mode, Shell.exe is in the processes tab, I end the process and then my yellow triangle in the taskbar goes away. Google shell.exe and check it out. Smitfraudfix isn't running, spybot wont open, and Adaware wont install because I'm in safe. Not good?

Your system is infected with malware.

Very Important: Before deciding whether you should clean or reformat your system, go and read this thread HERE and decide what it is you want to do.

If after reading the above, you wish to clean your system, do the following.

Go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as Attachments into a new thread in our Security and the Web forum, only after doing the above.

Also, let me know the results of the Panda Antirootkit scan.

Nope, I read through the instructions on there and it lists a bunch of programs that I've tried and can't run for some reason.

Spybot: Doesn't open
AVG: Can't connect to service, tried reinstall but nothing happened.
Online Scanner: IE won't open, can't install because it freezes.
Ad-Aware: Won't install in safe mode.

That would be my biggest problem, I guess i know how to get rid of the malware, but I can't do it because for some reason my apps won't open for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back