Significant layoffs hit Barnes & Noble's Nook engineering department

Shawn Knight

Staff member

barnes layoffs barnes noble engineering

Barnes & Noble has laid off what is believed to be a large portion of its Nook hardware engineering team. The staffers were sent packing last Thursday according to a source as reported by Business Insider and comes just a month after the company parted ways with Bill Saperstein, VP of Hardware.

A spokesperson for Barnes & Noble told the publication that they’ve been very clear about their focus on rationalizing the Nook business and positioning it for future success and value creation. As they aligned Nook’s cost structure with business realities, staffing levels in certain areas have changed which led to some job eliminations.

So yes, the company did let some staff members go. But just how many people are now out of a job remains unknown as the spokesperson said they weren’t going to comment specifically on the eliminations.

Despite the staff cuts, however, Barnes & Noble said they have a strong management team in place and have recruited significant new talent for Nook. This new team is focused on managing the business efficiently to help make it financially strong while at the same time aggressively moving to drive revenue growth, the spokesperson said.

Barnes & Noble launched the Nook tablet as a direct competitor to companies (and their devices) that were eating away at traditional booksellers. But going up against the iPad and the Kindle Fire proved too difficult a challenge and ultimately, the company decided to quit manufacturing the slates last year.

Permalink to story.

You know, that's great and all, I can understand issues competing with hardware. But how about getting some Nook clients out there? Like for Windows Phaone 7 and 8?

It just cant compete with Amazon..

Their nooks can compete. I have one nook hd+ and is impressive than it only cost 149. It is a mix of the ipad 2 and 3 hardware with the resolution of a retina screen, and you can get one new for 149 (I think it has the same hardware as the previous kindle fire hd and cost a lot less)

Also their nook simple touch and the glowlight has better hardware for the price than the kindle readers. For example the simple touch has touch screen and is cheaper than the cheapest kindle than doesn't have touch screen and has the same screen (And the simple touch was $39 on black friday)

Their nooks can compete. . .

Having decent specs isn't competing -- you have to run the race (sales), too. By the looks of it, they aren't anywhere close to being competitive.

going up against the iPad and the Kindle Fire proved too difficult a challenge and ultimately, the company decided to quit manufacturing the slates last year.
Kindle Fire maybe, the Nook was never a competitor with an iPad. The Nook was half the size and 1/3 the price of an ipad.

The problem with the Nook was it didn't come with the Google Play store. You could only get apps from B&N's app store, which charged you for stuff that was free on the Play store (If I remember right they wanted $4 for Netflix). I have a Nook tablet and it's used daily in my house, but I had to root it and load a custom ROM. It was very easy to root, but it's a bit silly to have to completely reload new software to use your tablet the way you want.

I don't know if the Kindle Fire had proprietary software that kept out a lot of the good things about Android, but the Nook caused a few of their own problems.

Back