Singularity GPU & CPU Performance In-depth

Julio Franco

Staff member
Singularity GPU & CPU Performance In-depth

New and exquisite looking computer games are always something that we are on the lookout for, so that we can provide you with an in-depth hardware performance review. Singularity is a new first person shooter that managed to fly well under our radar even though it was developed by veteran Raven Software and published by Activision.

Read the full review at:
https://www.techspot.com/review/294-singularity-performance/

Please leave your feedback here.

I just downloaded this game.
Glad to see my Radeon 5770 handling it really good :)

On page 7, the charts state they are for Splinter Cell Conviction! You might want to get that corrected! ;)

Otherwise, great article.

Its nice to see a modern game play so well on even the lower hardware, as said at the end, its basically a console port but you could build a £400 (or possibly less) with a mouse and keyboard and speakers (no screen) and run the game fairly well or as these tests show poissibly even maxed out.

Consoles you'd buy the machine (£300) and sound but comes with a controller and of course screen would be separate as well, Again though, a home TV is usually more expensive than a computer screen anyway and the game is cheaper on PC, so at the moment they are on par price wise but get a better experience on the PC! sorted! ;)

I was intrigued when I first read about this game in Game Informer. Thanks for the heads up on its release! If all of my bills get paid AND I can afford to buy food I'll put whatever is left towards this game lol

I remember hearing about this some months ago but I totally forgot about it. I'll wait for some reviews

You don't need an in-depth performance review for this game. You can use a two year old graphics card and CPU to run it on no less than 60FPS, just like with any other xbox360 port, from first hand experience.

PC games are dead. Forget them.

As for the game, it's worth a rental. No more, no less.

"PC games are dead. Forget them."

Who let the console fool on the boards?

Boy, that Unreal 3 game engine sure has received a lot of mileage. Did a little research and no less than 98 high-profile games have been released using that engine including Mass Effect 1 & 2, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Section 8, several of the Tom Clancy series, Borderlands and America's Army. Not bad for a 5 year old game engine!

And because of the efficiency of the Unreal 3 game engine, is why I believe you received such high FPS scores across the board (with the exception of the AA).

Guest said:
You don't need an in-depth performance review for this game. You can use a two year old graphics card and CPU to run it on no less than 60FPS, just like with any other xbox360 port, from first hand experience.

Huh... So you point out that old PC hardware can run this current console fare with ease, basically affirming that console hardware is beyond stagnation and not moving forward to improve on performance or graphics... And then say that PC (aka "much more powerful than consoles") games are dead?

I am constantly amazed at how easily logic and common sense are overshadowed by loyalty and fanaticism.

Guest said:

As for the game, it's worth a rental. No more, no less.

This is probably the most stupid and contradicting post I have read this year?! Not only does this "Guest" say PC's are more powerful as i'm sure a console would struggle to keep above over 50FPS, then goes on to say that "PC games are dead"??

Besides, Crysis 2 is proof that PC's have soo much more to them technically speaking than consoles, even in the few videos they have shown, you can clearly see Consoles limitations, especially with lighting effects and texture resolution.

If you had an ounce of intelligence you wouldn't be saying "PC games are dead"

CS:S and TF2 and battlefield BC2 and WoW etc... are proof PC gaming is still alive and well even if its struggling through piracy.

Nice performance test, as usual, however I would skip any UE3-based titles from now on... performance is clearly similar between UE3 titles and doesn't bring anything new to the table.

Also, I've had some nasty texture streaming issues with this game (on my GTX 480).
Anything seen during the tests Julio? other users seem to have complained as well, but it's still a new game... so not much feedback.

About the game, it seems to be something between Bioshock, FEAR and Timeshift. The story is pretty solid too. MP is pretty ok, but nothing special.

@Guest, we were unable to force AA into any Radeon boards...
@captain828, see the second page of the article where we explain how we were able to fix the textures bug via an unofficial patch.

"I am constantly amazed at how easily logic and common sense are overshadowed by loyalty and fanaticism"

Verily my friend. If you do not mind, I am going to use this for my signature. I will also include your name after your quote to avoid misplaced laud;)

@Julio:
Oops, my bad... missed that page :p

Kinda fubar how they hard coded everything and obviously messed it up. Serves them right for not leaving the standard .ini's.

TomSEA said:
Who let the console fool on the boards?

How did you figure I'm a console fanboy? I spoke from PC enthusiast perspective. I still remember getting a new 3dfx card every few months. Now I just have no need for new hardware.

I think its good you don't have to have a pc built in the last 3 weeks to enjoy a new video game, one of the main selling points of a console is after you buy it you don't have to upgrade it for 5 years + maybe even 10 years at the rate xbox is going. I have a top of a line pc and nothing will replace online pc games but i do like the fact that my xbox hasn't needed upgrade an upgrade in 5 years but i've so far gone through 3 new pc's in the same amount of time.

If you build smart, you don't have to. But I'd like to. Unfortunately there's no software to throw at it.

It's a nice review, but is Techspot in need for game performance reviews to show off or something?? This game is not demanding at all. Anyway...

The campaign is EXCELLENT. I haven't had this much fun in single player since Doom, and Crysis. Highly recommended. And you can choose up to three different endings at the end. And in all three it seems there will be a sequel.

It's a nice review, but is Techspot in need for game performance reviews to show off or something?? This game is not demanding at all. Anyway...

The campaign is EXCELLENT. I haven't had this much fun in single player since Doom, and Crysis. Highly recommended. And you can choose up to three different endings at the end. And in all three it seems there will be a sequel.

The idea is also to help gamers looking at buying Singularity to work out how well their computer will handle it. This is particularly useful given that there is no demo for the game. You would be amazed at how many gamers use low-end hardware.

Vrmithrax wrote "I am constantly amazed at how easily logic and common sense are overshadowed by loyalty and fanaticism."

Cool quote except perhaps the "common sense" part which typically -IS- "loyalty and fanaticism". Hence the generally distasteful state of the world today. "Common senselessness" would be more fitting.

@Julio
Anti-alasing can be forced on Ati Radeon cards. You need to rename the "Singularity.exe" launcher to "ut3.exe" (yes, that's Unreal tournament 3) and then force it through Catalyst. You might want to check that out, worked for me. With my 5870 I had an FPS drop of 50% in 1920x1080 with 4xAA enabled, from 100-120 fps to around 50-60 fps... I think the visual quality improved dramatically!

Yes you can force AA on ATI, just rename the exe to ut3.exe (you might need a no-cd exe version) and force whatever you want. I have 5850 and force 2x supersampling AA (4x is a bit too much if you want 60+ fps). I can also bet my mother that no console can have that great looks in 1680x1050 with performance above 10 frames per second :p

The problem is that the whole console costs the same as just your graphic card..:)
And being pleased about turning on 2*AA on hd5850 in 5 years old engine? Please...:)

Back