Slow CPU...

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi guys,

i'm wondering if i can do something on my friends PC.....
here is the specs, board : P4m800PRO m1
HDD: 80GB MAXTOR
MEMORY: 2X 512MB DDR2 533
PROCES: PENTIUM D (820 ) 2.8GHZ
despite the specs that i saw it still runs too slow with some application like
finale and ms office. it freezes when you open multiple application. can you give me some advise on how to speed things up..

thanks!

have a look at the task manager for signs of too many processes running (60 is top wack).
Spyware can also cause this so make sure the AV and AS is up to date.
There are free Av and AS products from www.grisoft.com

I agree with AlbertLionheart, too many processes running would indeed cause the system to run slowly.

Post a HJT log as per the instructions in this thread HERE and I`ll take a look at it and advise.

Regards Howard :)

thanks howard_hopkinso.... question again what if there are too many application running... what can i do.. i already checked for spyware no detection from the anti-virus that i used... can i reload the OS again? to fix the problem?

That`s why I want you to post a HJT log as per the instructions. I can use HJT to help you to stop unnecessary processes from running. I can also check your system for malware etc.

Regards Howard :)

Just as a simple alternative to check before you get too far into the software end of it, or if the software solutions don't work, I recently had a similar problem. Depending on how old the computer is, check out the thermal compound between the CPU and Heatsink. Sometimes a simple step that people forget. I usually try to make it a habit to re-apply thermal compound once a year or every 1.5 years or so. If it dries up that CPU can get much hotter than it would without it.

another thing... which is kind of trivial... is make sure there's no dust in the cpu fan or heatsink, make sure all the air is flowing freely.

Mr Brown - please post a log as this will tell us what is going on without you having to try a spot the problems. We can also tell you if, for example, you have too many anti-virus or anti-spyware programmes running at the same time.
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back