Smartphone battery explodes after man bites into it

Shawn Knight

Staff member

A shopper in China recently learned that biting a smartphone battery isn’t exactly the best way to test its authenticity.

According to a report from Taiwan News, a man entered an electronics store in China on January 19 in search of a replacement battery for his iPhone. Seemingly suspecting the battery on offer was fake, he inexplicably decided to bite into the unit to see if it was real. Much to his surprise, the battery was indeed legitimate as evident by the fact that it exploded upon being punctured.

The incident was captured by the store’s security camera and posted on Chinese video sharing site miaopai.com the following day. It has since been viewed more than 4.5 million times according to the publication. Fortunately, nobody was injured by the blast although as you can see in the clip (republished on YouTube), plenty of folks were startled by the episode.

Exactly what the man was trying to accomplish isn’t clear. Authenticity aside (the Chinese market is ripe with knockoff batteries attempting to pass as legitimate OEM parts), maybe he thought the battery was a dummy model that wasn’t a real battery at all? Then again, we live in a world where people are eating Tide laundry detergent for fun so perhaps seeking a logical explanation is an exercise in futility.

Nevertheless, it goes without saying: don't bite into your smartphone battery.

Permalink to story.

AedCsLd.jpg

"It is assumed that he was trying to test the battery's authenticity"

The summary on main site made it seem like he died, they probably know what he was trying or did he just leave the store and no one asked him anything? If I explode something in store there's gonna be cops, maybe even a reporter and someone is bound to ask me what happened and why, at least the store employees. Shame there's no reporting for this story, just a video. Was a bit disappointed, was hoping to see someones head explode or at least jaw getting blown off.

In any case, it seems the gentleman was testing batteries for his >>> iPhone <<<.

A lesser poster than myself, might take the opportunity to insult Apple customer's intelligence. I think the poor man got his start with Tide Pods, has graduated to lithium batteries, and once he realizes he's addicted, will make the jump to hard drugs, namely, car batteries.,

Oh well, the sulphuric acid will burn any plaque off his teeth, and the lead in the battery's plates, will give him an excuse for displaying a low IQ.

This isn't a child's normal path to battery addiction. It usually starts with chewing lead paint off window sills, (*), then the spiral of depravity encompasses lawn tractor batteries, followed by a life of crime, stealing car batteries in the hood.

(*) Sometimes there is an interim step, which involves the child eating the carbon zinc "D" batteries normally found in mom's nightstand

Last edited:
This seems like a good argument for science education. At the least, the guy would have fared better if he had watched a certain episode of Man vs Wild. ;)

This seems like a good argument for science education. At the least, the guy would have fared better if he had watched a certain episode of Man vs Wild. ;)
Wow, you can take optimism to a whole new level of annoying. "STEM" education, really?

They should resurrect the cable TV show "Jacka**", on network TV in prime time, and at the very least make "battery munch", the host. (*)

OR, let "The CW", make him their newest superhero...., (wait for it)......."Battery Man".

He could wear a jet pack, (in the shape of a Galaxy Note 7), and swoop in, eating the batteries out of teenager's smart phones, before they text and drive, exposing themselves to possible disfiguring injuries, perhaps even death!

I even have the title for the show's theme song cued up and ready to go.... (dah, da-da-da dah), "Stupid Saves the Day".

(*)
You would of course, need a fairly inept Chinese-punk to English gibberish translator, if you wanted to pull this off.

Last edited:
"It is assumed that he was trying to test the battery's authenticity"

The summary on main site made it seem like he died, they probably know what he was trying or did he just leave the store and no one asked him anything? If I explode something in store there's gonna be cops, maybe even a reporter and someone is bound to ask me what happened and why, at least the store employees. Shame there's no reporting for this story, just a video. Was a bit disappointed, was hoping to see someones head explode or at least jaw getting blown off.
I know you! We met at Jesus' crucifiction. You were yelling, "give us Barabbas", at the top of your lungs. Good times, my friend, good times! (y):cool:

Back