SNK's $500 Neo Geo arcade cabinet comes with 50 pre-installed games

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: At 25 inches (H) x 15.4 inches (W) x 19.4 inches (D), this arcade cabinet isn’t quite as large as a traditional machine but that also means it won’t take up as much space, either. Without the optional base, the cabinet weighs around 28 pounds. If you’d rather have a more true-to-life arcade cabinet, the base adds another 32 inches to the overall height.

SNK will soon be offering retro gaming fans yet another way to enjoy classic Neo Geo games.

The Japanese hardware and software company recently announced the Neo Geo Multi Video System, or MVSX for short. The system features a 17-inch LCD operating at 1,280 x 1,024 resolution (with optional software-based scanline filter emulation), stereo speakers and two sets of arcade-style controls.

It’ll come pre-loaded with 50 classic games including 10 games from The King of Fighters series, eight from the Fatal Fury collection and six each from the Meta Slug and Samurai Showdown series.

SNK jumped into the retro console space back in 2018 with its Neo Geo mini and delved further into the scene last year with the Neo Geo Arcade Stick Pro.

Pricing is set at $449.99 for the core cabinet and $99.99 for the optional base. Or, if ordered together, you can get both for $499.99.

Pre-orders open next month with the first units expected to ship out in October.

Permalink to story.

The system features a 17-inch LCD operating at 1,280 x 1,024 resolution (with optional software-based scanline filter emulation)
If you really want a scanline filter, you are so f. old, it should come with defibrillator.

Could this be the answer to so many pachinco parlors in Japan? All they need to do is add quarter slots (or maybe card readers) and all they go!

I would be sold if it used an actual CRT screen. 1280x1024 isn't even proper square pixel resolution (should be 1280x960). Depending on the build quality, could be an interesting base for modding into a MAME cabinet.

If you really want a scanline filter, you are so f. old, it should come with defibrillator.

Games that have below 640x480 native resolution look like a pixelated blotched mess if you run them without any kind of filtering or just nearest-neighbor filtering on a LCD screen. At least a bilinear filter is essential.

The problem with scanline filters is not the filter itself but the parameters used. Most scanline filters look horrible and not realistic at all, with the effect being too exaggerated (scanlines are often too thick and too dark) compared to how real CRT screens looked like. A realistic scanline effect should be way more subtle and not even noticeable past a certain distance from the screen, and of course it should always be combined with a smoothing filter like bilinear or FXAA. I'm able to create a pretty realistic and nice-looking scanline emulation filter using ReShade, but I've never seen a premade CRT filter that I liked.

Nice. But I already have my Raspberry Pie 3 with Retropie and more games in it.

100% this. You're not going to get the full CRT experience without both a scanline filter and something inside that shocked the **** out of you if you touch it.

Back