Sony laptop no video after bios screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

swwelsh

I am working on a Sony Vaio PCG-7H1L, it starts booting, gets to the bios screen, then starts to boot for a few seconds before the video cuts out to a black screen. I have tried an external monitor, where I get no display at all. Tried booting from a knoppix CD, same thing, a few seconds of video then it cuts out. Tried it without the battery, same thing. I can hear it booting up with the video off, and the music plays when xp get to the desktop. I would have suspected a dead screen except for the fact that it works at the bios screen and for a few seconds after. Anybody have any ideas?

Bad drivers? It doesn't load them till a certain point right? If you can get the option to go safe mode and such(f8 after bios screen) try VGA mode (or if its a new model, might show up as a low resolution mode) Try and see if it boots up. If it does, do a roll back on the video drivers.

If you can't get it to let you choose how to boot. Go into the BIOS settings, see if theirs a way to boot without video drivers, or anything to do with video settings, see if theres something changed that needs to be fixed.

Thanks for the response. Drivers were my first thought as well, but it does the same thing with a linux liveCD, or if I go into the bios and just wait a few seconds. It will also come up for a few seconds after booting into windows and eventually going into power save mode. I can hit a key and it will display fine for a few seconds, then cut out. So I figure it has to be a bad component on the video chip, it overheats and fails after a few seconds. I hadn't seen a laptop display fail like this before, I was hoping it was something I had overlooked. I am going to rescue the RAM and the hard drive and ebay the rest for parts. Thanks again for responding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back