Sony promises more PS5 stock before the end of the year following "unprecedented" demand

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? Next-gen consoles from Microsoft and Sony are among the most sought after gifts this holiday season. Both launched earlier this month and subsequently sold out in the blink of an eye. Fortunately for those seeking a PS5, there’s still hope. Sony said in a Twitter post on Wednesday that the PlayStation 5 has been their biggest console launch ever, although without more information, it’s impossible to decipher exactly what that means.

Nevertheless, Sony went on to confirm that additional inventory will be coming to retailers “before the end of the year.” The tech giant advised users to stay in touch with local retailers for more information.

Again, even this statement isn’t concrete as “before the end of the year” doesn’t necessarily mean in time for the holidays.

Microsoft earlier this month revealed that it expects to see supply shortages run through the holidays and into early next year. But it's better than what we heard earlier this week.

Consoles from both camps have been plagued by heavy demand and intense interest from bots and scalpers. A quick check over on eBay reveals that PS5s are selling for north of $900 while the Xbox Series X is fetching at least $800 in most completed auctions. The Xbox Series S appears to be selling for under $500 in most auctions.

Aside from third-party reseller sites, your best bet to try and score a console at retail could come during Black Friday and Cyber Monday. But you’ll need to keep your eyes peeled as they will likely go very fast.

Permalink to story.

Supposedly, tonight and up till Black Friday there will be online sales for Xbox and PS5.

Thing is: you're making the same mistake again...having everyone log in simultaneously overloads the servers - and they'll still get bought by bots.

I'd feel better if Walmart, Best Buy and Gamestops bought up all of the units and then forced you to come, get on line, and take a voucher for one at a time.

I don't want it for myself. But I was trying to help some family members score PS5 without resorting to Ebay's $1000 price tag.

The "Demand" is not an accurate representation of who's actually wanting the product. If it weren't for scalping, there'd be plenty to go around to those who actually just want one to have, not for personal gain.

"unprecedented" demand or unprecedentent paper launches? Sony, M$, nVidia & AMD - all of them are out of stock suddenly, just before Xmas season?
I don't think so.
They never had a stock.
Previous PS sold few million units on the first year in US alone and I'll bet most of it on Black Friday and Xmas. Now They are sudennly unprepared?
Is the end of this year some mysterious time where corporations have to boost their share value with the premiere of a new hardware even if the hardware doesn't exist?

None of Those corporations actually said how much pieces of Their hardware They prepared for launch, so I call This bullsh*t.
For some reason They all are playing "unprecedented demand, scalpers, bla, bla, bla...", just enough for CEOs to boost Their stock market value for few days to sell It off.
Times are hard after all...

It's funny how every single company is trying to disguise their paper launches as "unprecedented demand".

I guess "corona impacted delays in production and shipping" doesn't get the investors hot under the collar like it used to.

"unprecedented" demand or unprecedentent paper launches? Sony, M$, nVidia & AMD - all of them are out of stock suddenly, just before Xmas season?
I don't think so.
They never had a stock.
Previous PS sold few million units on the first year in US alone and I'll bet most of it on Black Friday and Xmas. Now They are sudennly unprepared?
Is the end of this year some mysterious time where corporations have to boost their share value with the premiere of a new hardware even if the hardware doesn't exist?

None of Those corporations actually said how much pieces of Their hardware They prepared for launch, so I call This bullsh*t.
For some reason They all are playing "unprecedented demand, scalpers, bla, bla, bla...", just enough for CEOs to boost Their stock market value for few days to sell It off.
Times are hard after all...
The Deepstate gathered together all the tech companies to create artificial shortages so you, specifically, couldn't buy anything.

Thanks for ruining it for the rest of us.....

Supposedly, tonight and up till Black Friday there will be online sales for Xbox and PS5.

Thing is: you're making the same mistake again...having everyone log in simultaneously overloads the servers - and they'll still get bought by bots.

I'd feel better if Walmart, Best Buy and Gamestops bought up all of the units and then forced you to come, get on line, and take a voucher for one at a time.

I don't want it for myself. But I was trying to help some family members score PS5 without resorting to Ebay's $1000 price tag.
Best Buy and Walmart have stated they wont have them in stores. So vouchers wont help. BB even state you have to buy them online.

I'm sorry man, but that's like the most ignorant suggestion you could make during a pandemic.

In any case, I don't know why it's so darn hard to limit shipments to 1 unit per address. IF the issue really is scalpers, and IF Sony actually wanted that to stop, they could have stopped it long ago.

I'm sorry man, but that's like the most ignorant suggestion you could make during a pandemic.

In any case, I don't know why it's so darn hard to limit shipments to 1 unit per address. IF the issue really is scalpers, and IF Sony actually wanted that to stop, they could have stopped it long ago.

How could Sony stop it? Limit to one per address - I'm sure most of us could come up with a dozen different addresses we could get stuff delivered to and pick up from - family and close friends. Also ordering from different stores so times that dozen by all the outlets you can order from. I'm pretty sure nVidiia for example, who knew they had limited stock and this was an embarrassment to them, would have loved to stop scalpers but it is just not that easy.

How could Sony stop it? Limit to one per address - I'm sure most of us could come up with a dozen different addresses we could get stuff delivered to and pick up from - family and close friends. Also ordering from different stores so times that dozen by all the outlets you can order from. I'm pretty sure nVidiia for example, who knew they had limited stock and this was an embarrassment to them, would have loved to stop scalpers but it is just not that easy.
I couldn't come up with a dozen different addresses. And I doubt "most of us" could. And it's a lot of effort. That's exactly the point. The more effort it takes per unit, the less likely they do it. You can't make it impossible, but you can make it more difficult. And that's all it takes.

It was not an embarrassment to NV either. It's just corporate talk. Companies don't have feelings. They sold everything they could and those were happy times for them. Their stocks agreed.

my recommendation would work perfectly. Social distancing and ppe can still be used.

Apple does it perfectly and they are selling far more expensive items.

Back