Sony Vaio Laptop PCG-GR390 keyboard replacement help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I joined this board because I am a bit lost.

I have a Sony Vaio Laptop PCG-GR390 that my 2-1/2 year old son had all to himself for 3 minutes. To make a long story short (yes, kiddie Home Depot tools were involved!!!), I now have to replace the keyboard and keyboard cover. Here's the problem: I'm a pretty handy guy who has done lots of repairs on computers of varying degrees of difficulty, yet I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the old parts out/off without snapping something or going at every screw on the unit. Can someone please give me some very detailed help? I have found numerous sites giving details and showing pictures of other Sony's, just not my model.

I thank all that can help in advance.

Can you gently pry up the keyboard on one of the edges? Sometimes this gives a clue to what and where it is being held by... You have done other notebooks so I am sure you have run into most keyboard mounting senarios like screws, spring latches, and hidden hardware areas. Sony doesn't have service manuals posted on their support site. I saw a reference for an online purchase for Sony PCG-GR390 manuals for $14.95

Tmagic,
I'm on board with your thoughts. A small screwdriver and a little care and patience usually lights the way, but this one stumps me. The keyboard cover that houses the power button, indicator lights and speakers pops up and stops with no visible way to pry and or unscrew it. Buying the manual is no fun, that's why I joined a chat board full of geniuses!!! Someone out there must have an idea or suggestion...

Google using ' Sony Vaio Laptop PCG disassembly '; got some decent disassembly hits that way.

gl

:)

Ok CCT,
I use Google all the time and I know there are many ways to "word" a search. Your great post triggered my brain. I do a lot of laptop repair. Thanks again!

I can't thank you guys enough. I Googled the heck out of it every which way I thought possible. A couple of extra sets of eyes usually does the trick. I am back in business. Thanks again to Tmagic and CCT.

You're welcome fakegeek,
with laptops getting smaller and smaller, repairing them is becoming more of a chore. I can palm a basketball in one hand. This skill isn't well suited for intricate disassembly or assembly, but I manage. I have a Compaq Presario M2000 that needs the power connector board replaced. This baby is barely an inch thick...

Happy computing... and repair!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back