Sony video compares PlayStation 5 performance against PS4 Pro

midian182

Staff member
Highly anticipated: After revealing details about its next-generation console last month, Sony has just given a presentation comparing the PlayStation 5 (assuming that will be its name) to the PS4 Pro. It shows the upcoming machine loading a game around ten times faster than the Pro and rendering scenes at a higher speed.

The showcase was part of Sony’s Corporate Strategy Meeting, which was attended by the Wall Street Journal’s Takashi Mochizuki. He tweeted a video that demonstrates how much difference the PS5’s SSD makes to loading times. The developer version of the machine loads Marvel’s Spider-Man in under one second, whereas the PS4 Pro takes just over eight seconds.

We also see the PS5’s ability to render scenes at a faster rate, thereby allowing objects and textures to appear quickly, avoiding the pop-in effect.

While Sony offered few specific new details about the PS5, it did say it will bring "completely transformative and immersive gaming experiences," adding that the two keywords for the future direction of PlayStation were "immersive" and "seamless."

The gaming giant also mentioned its mission to leverage the latest computing, streaming, cloud, and 5G technologies, part of which relates to the recently announced Sony/Microsoft strategic partnership that will develop better game streaming services. Sony added that the evolution of Remote Play and PlayStation Now will provide a seamless game experience anytime, anywhere.

In addition to SSD storage, the PS5’s lead architect, Mark Cerny, said the PS5 would have 8K resolution support, ray tracing, and backward compatibility. It will feature an 8-core AMD Ryzen CPU built on its 7-nanometer Zen 2 architecture and use a custom Navi GPU. No word on a release date, but it won’t be before April 2020.

Permalink to story.

"8K resolution support" means nothing.

Please tell us: How many FPS will that 8K resolution be.

And is that for the videos or for the games?

And please also tell me: who out there has an 8K TV or monitor in 2019?

No, I use a Crucial SSD 1 TB and the loading times are cut by 30 to 50%. No way 10 times faster.

I have a Crucial 1TB and a 2TB SATA - limited to SATA speed.

M.2 SSD will load in 5 or 6 seconds what a SATA SSD takes 10 seconds to load. My guess is their built in SSD is even faster than M.2.

I have a feeling there must also be some other things like pre-caching, much faster AMD CPU, etc. that Sony must be using rather than just pure storage bus M.2/PCI-E 3.0 x4 to make it 10X faster. I actually did an experiment by putting a 8 x SATA SSD array into a SAN and connected my gaming PC to it with 10Gb Ethernet via iSCSI. This way I could actually see how much time was actually spent loading off the SSDs by watching how long the 10GbE network adapter was in use, knowing I had a 10Gb/s speed limit. I was surprised how little time is actually spent loading Final Fantasy XV off the SSDs on the SAN to memory vs waiting on the CPU (when there was no network activity seen in Task Manager) after this experiment.

Sweet, an 8 core cpu is at the heart of it, seems my 3770k cant retire yet, let us go onward into the future old friend!!!

The 8 core cpu might be a custom ryzen 5 cpu, since there are rumors that the new ryzen 5 cpus will have 8 cores instead of 6

I love how SSD's are now looked at as some revolutionary tech for gaming, yet we have had them out in the wild for years now. Only since PS5 is going to include them it becomes "revolutionary". I guess my computer has been "revolutionary" for the better part of a decade.

"Loading games over ten times faster" is simply a function of moving to a fast SSD over an HDD.

I'm more interested in better gameplay and more exciting titles to play.
this leads to more immersive gameplay though which leads to better gameplay and exciting titles. no more pop in? **** yes

"Loading games over ten times faster" is simply a function of moving to a fast SSD over an HDD.

Agreed; couldn't one achieve a similar performance improvement by replacing the HDD in the PS4 Pro with an SSD?
No, because the PS4's filesystem and software/games are not set up to take advantage of a SSD, and bottlenecks like crazy. Either that or the PS4 hardware royally sucks at SATA performance.

https://pcper.com/2013/11/playstation-4-ps4-hdd-sshd-and-ssd-performance-testing/
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ps4-hard-drive-upgrade,3695-3.html

this leads to more immersive gameplay though which leads to better gameplay and exciting titles. no more pop in? **** yes
Nah. There will still be pop in, because developers will just use that extra storage bandwidth to push even higher resolution textures that you wont be able to see in gameplay, or as an excuse to simply not optimize texture loading at ALL.

Just like with RAM, we went from 256 MB to 8GB. Game developers could have used this to completely eliminate load times while dramatically increasing world size, instead they used it to render strands of hard between loading screens, or how increasing GPU speed is used for higher polygon count character models instead of more consistent framerates and lower latency, or how increased storage size was used as an excuse to not compress game files, and instead use 100GB for a single game install, or how internet connections are used to push broken unfinished games instead of primarily adding content, ece.

Game developers and publishers will inevitably use conveniences to make the experience worse, not better.

America is behind. Sony is a Japanese company and they've been on 8k for some time now. America is big and our capitalism is a hamper to these kinds of changes. When the US 4k content started Japan had already had it for a few years.

America is behind. Sony is a Japanese company and they've been on 8k for some time now. America is big and our capitalism is a hamper to these kinds of changes. When the US 4k content started Japan had already had it for a few years.

Comcast STILL CHARGES EXTRA FOR 1080P... then doesn't even give you that on all their channels and OTA has better quality and it is free.

Also…. You PAY for Comcast, so why are you watching commercials..?

No, I use a Crucial SSD 1 TB and the loading times are cut by 30 to 50%. No way 10 times faster.

I love how SSD's are now looked at as some revolutionary tech for gaming, yet we have had them out in the wild for years now. Only since PS5 is going to include them it becomes "revolutionary". I guess my computer has been "revolutionary" for the better part of a decade.

This is why it's touted.

Cerny also demonstrates the benefits of an SSD when it comes to loading in the visuals of a new area on something like the expansive open world of Spider-Man. Well, as expansive as the Manhattan cityscape can be, anyways.

The Wired piece says Sony hasn’t given any technical details about the SSD itself, such as who makes the controller or NAND flash memory, or even whether it’s using the PCIe 4.0 interface, but does say that “it has a raw bandwidth higher than any SSD available for PCs.

You know Sony deliver games do you? And they always did and will keep doing... Now since we can take that for granted it's time to move on and improve other aspects of the experience and trust me loading times are far more important than it looks and will improve gameplay to a great extent... and the experience overall...

You know Sony deliver games do you? And they always did and will keep doing... Now since we can take that for granted it's time to move on and improve other aspects of the experience and trust me loading times are far more important than it looks and will improve gameplay to a great extent... and the experience overall...

I haven't been happy with SONY since Playstation 2 launched without sequels of my favorite PS1 games.

I went to Xbox and NEVER looked back.

I expected the PS2 launch titles - or first/ second year titles - to resemble what Singletrac gave me: Warhawk, Twisted Metal... I wanted a Guncon game ...

It took so long for the games I wanted to come to Playstation 2 that I gave up on it entirely.

I went to Xbox specifically for Soldier of Fortune II and ended up getting Halo and a whole lot more with better looking graphics.

And now I'm disappointed with both PS and Xbox so I moved to PC gaming. It's a lot more expensive but the pay off is much better.

Last edited:
I'm hoping the PS5 will have 10Gbe. 10Gbps fibre is being launched next year nationwide in NZ and it would be great if the PS5 could take advantage of this.

I haven't been happy with SONY since Playstation 2 launched without sequels of my favorite PS1 games.

I went to Xbox and NEVER looked back.

I expected the PS2 launch titles - or first/ second year titles - to resemble what Singletrac gave me: Warhawk, Twisted Metal... I wanted a Guncon game ...

It took so long for the games I wanted to come to Playstation 2 that I gave up on it entirely.

I went to Xbox specifically for Soldier of Fortune II and ended up getting Halo and a whole lot more with better looking graphics.

And now I'm disappointed with both PS and Xbox so I moved to PC gaming. It's a lot more expensive but the pay off is much better.

And what are you playing now since you never looked back?

I'm with playstation since day one, and there a sequels that never came but they gave me something I would have never thought before new games, new stories, new emotions and so much more... and I know that they will do it again with the PS5 and I don't know about xbox I used to have the original where I played brute force, Project Ghotam Racing and Halo Combat Evolved what a wonderful game it was but that's it.

The only over the top fun game I see on Xbox and even bought it for PC was Forza Horizon 4 what an amazing game I wish it was available on PS4 since Sony closed evolution studios and Drive Club wont come back.

But you know best...

And what are you playing now since you never looked back?

I'm with playstation since day one, and there a sequels that never came but they gave me something I would have never thought before new games, new stories, new emotions and so much more... and I know that they will do it again with the PS5 and I don't know about xbox I used to have the original where I played brute force, Project Ghotam Racing and Halo Combat Evolved what a wonderful game it was but that's it.

The only over the top fun game I see on Xbox and even bought it for PC was Forza Horizon 4 what an amazing game I wish it was available on PS4 since Sony closed evolution studios and Drive Club wont come back.

But you know best...

The beautiful thing about the free market is that it's always right.
People VOTE with their money and their feet.

I went to Xbox, then to Xbox 360 and then to Xbox One.

I bought a Playstation 3 when it was dirt cheap on sale just so I could play Gradius V and Contra: Shattered Soldier.

To date, I've never bought a PS4.

When I got bored, I went out and spent $5000 building a desktop and then bought two powerful laptops in two different sizes 15" and 17" - one for travel and one for software development/ VR development/ 3D printing. I spent over $10,000 total on PC and the only reason I can see buying a console is to stream to my Youtube for higher monthly payouts.

I will wait till Xbox "TWO" or whatever.

Back