Sony will highlight four games at E3 2018 showcase including Death Stranding and The Last...

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Sony “in a rare break from tradition” on Friday provided a preview of what fans can expect from its E3 2018 showcase.

Shawn Layden, CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment America and Chairman of SIE Worldwide Studios, said PlayStation’s Worldwide Studios will focus on four major upcoming titles: Death Stranding from Kojima Productions, Sucker Punch’s Ghost of Tsushima, Naughty Dog’s The Last of Us Part II and Spider-Man from Marvel.

Layden said the showcase will also feature announcements from third-party publishers and indie developers but didn’t go into any specifics.

What you won’t see at E3 2018, however, is any new hardware. Layden confirmed as much during a recent episode of the PlayStation Blogcast, saying Sony will instead focus on content at this year’s event. Sorry, you’ll have to wait a bit longer for official information regarding the rumored PlayStation 5 or an updated PlayStation VR headset.

Sony’s E3 2018 showcase is scheduled for Monday, June 11, at 6 p.m. Pacific. You’ll be able to watch the press conference live via Twitch, YouTube, Facebook and on the PlayStation website.

More information regarding the event will be published on the PlayStation blog in the coming weeks, we’re told.

Permalink to story.

E3 without new hardware announcements, are a waste of time and of no interest to me, TBH.

You can announce new games anywhere, anytime, you don't need a big expensive show like E3 for that anymore.

..and I still think Sony, just like they did with PS4, will announce the PS5 at a special launch event next February, for a late 2019 or early 2020 release.

E3 without new hardware announcements, are a waste of time and of no interest to me, TBH.

You can announce new games anywhere, anytime, you don't need a big expensive show like E3 for that anymore.

..and I still think Sony, just like they did with PS4, will announce the PS5 at a special launch event next February, for a late 2019 or early 2020 release.

It's free publicity essentially. I only care about one thing this year and that's if they announce Cyberpunk or not.

I don't want them to release any new hardware to be honest, I'd rather they waited for a decent leap in tech (AMD's next GPU architecture) the current gen I don't feel has been fully exploited with the PS4 Pro and Xbone X not really being completely pushed.

I only care about one thing this year and that's if they announce Cyberpunk or not.
They announced it years ago, I'm praying for more details and some actual in-game footage.

I don't want them to release any new hardware to be honest, I'd rather they waited for a decent leap in tech (AMD's next GPU architecture) the current gen I don't feel has been fully exploited with the PS4 Pro and Xbone X not really being completely pushed.

They said that about the PS3 from day one. PS4P and XB1X are already being pushed, as evidence by their performance in the "upgraded" games.

We're going to see the next generation of consoles within 2 years because those platforms are rapidly falling behind the technology curve.

I only care about one thing this year and that's if they announce Cyberpunk or not.
They announced it years ago, I'm praying for more details and some actual in-game footage.

The real limiting factor is the cpu in these machines, not the gpu in the pro and x models

Ya, please no new hardware. Im perfectly content with my Pro.

I dont care as much for eye melting fidelity as I do having an easy platform for my friends to connect to and afford

I don't see any new consoles until 2020/2021 at the earliest. Since any new consoles will be compared to the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. They would need to put a high end gpu in the system for any noticeable gains. And that would cost too much to do. Since neither Microsoft or Sony is going to take a loss of several hundred dollars on each console sold to make something more powerful.

The Xbox One X being 6 teraflops of power. The next upgrade in gpu would be a Nvidia 1070 and up or AMD Vega 56 and up. So a graphics cards that cost close to $500 alone at the bare minimum. Add in the fact that memory is expensive as hell right now. Along with a CPU, 4k blu ray drive, wireless etc. The console would $1,000 at the cheapest.

I don't see any new consoles until 2020/2021 at the earliest. Since any new consoles will be compared to the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. They would need to put a high end gpu in the system for any noticeable gains. And that would cost too much to do. Since neither Microsoft or Sony is going to take a loss of several hundred dollars on each console sold to make something more powerful.

The Xbox One X being 6 teraflops of power. The next upgrade in gpu would be a Nvidia 1070 and up or AMD Vega 56 and up. So a graphics cards that cost close to $500 alone at the bare minimum. Add in the fact that memory is expensive as hell right now. Along with a CPU, 4k blu ray drive, wireless etc. The console would $1,000 at the cheapest.

You can't calculate console prices like that. Also the Xbox one x is better than a gtx 1070. The one x is already as strong as a 2000$ pc when it comes to gaming performance.

PC players are being ripped off since years. Paying a fortune for strong hardware that runs games poorly.

I highly doubt we will see a new console before about 2022 or later. By then a 200$ gpu will beat the 500$ 1070. The one x will eventually become the next Xbox gen and run next generation games in 1080p.

Sad story is the 4k uhd player isn't working which drives me mad xD

The cpu is indeed the more interesting upgrade. The games look good enough there is no need for better graphics but physical objects and all those tasty physx effects are desperately needed. Real snow and sand and gras and destructible environment for example. More characters on screen at once and the whole levolution thing that sadly died out before it really took off.

You can't calculate console prices like that. Also the Xbox one x is better than a gtx 1070. The one x is already as strong as a 2000$ pc when it comes to gaming performance.

PC players are being ripped off since years. Paying a fortune for strong hardware that runs games poorly.

I highly doubt we will see a new console before about 2022 or later. By then a 200$ gpu will beat the 500$ 1070. The one x will eventually become the next Xbox gen and run next generation games in 1080p.

Sad story is the 4k uhd player isn't working which drives me mad xD

The cpu is indeed the more interesting upgrade. The games look good enough there is no need for better graphics but physical objects and all those tasty physx effects are desperately needed. Real snow and sand and gras and destructible environment for example. More characters on screen at once and the whole levolution thing that sadly died out before it really took off.

$2000 pc would destroy the XB1X lol. You're right about the graphics card prices but 2022 seems far too late for another generation of consoles. I imagine the PS5 will have 7nm Ryzen 2 cores, with 16GB of Ram and hopefully Navi cores for its GPU, which AMD plans to release next year, so 2020 is more likely for PS5.

They said that about the PS3 from day one. PS4P and XB1X are already being pushed, as evidence by their performance in the "upgraded" games.

We're going to see the next generation of consoles within 2 years because those platforms are rapidly falling behind the technology curve.

I don't expect Nintendon't, Sony, Microsoft to come out with new consoles one year later.
It would be a good waste of financial resources on their behalf, I would say next spring 2019.
They will make new console development news, especially sony considering their consoles are having over heating issues.

Back