Sound not working, help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isabella99

Hi,
I'm quite frustrated considering I have tried everything, and nothing seems to work. My friend recently gave me a computer from his work, and the computer was reformatted, and I can't seem to get the sound working. I have tried various speakers/headsets, and checked the volumn to see if it is muted, and everything is functioning properly. I checked the sound driver, in the device manager, under " Sound, Video, and Game controller," and there is a driver installed, Realtek, that is functioning without any problems, no conflicts, enabled, and has a signature. I pressed "update," and the updates always say I have the latest version. I also have a Powerspec B600 computer, with Windows XP, went to thier website to find if my driver is compatiable with my computer, and I have the Realtek audio 5. something version that they have suggested for my computer, so its the correct driver for my computer..However.. I then installed the latest version from the Realtek audio website, and still the same problem. I have done all the troubleshooters..and nothing, everything seems to be functioning properly. The only wierd thing is when I check device manager, under "system devices," there is an option for "system speaker" which says no driver is installed, yet under "Sound, Video, and Game controller" it says a realtek sound driver is installed (and it's the default for playback) So, at this point, I just don't know what else to do, and how to locate the problem. PLEASE HELP!! It's driving me crazy to live without sound, and i'm very desperate to find a solution..

Check if any Problem Devices reported
  • Make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

Generate then attach a DirectX report
  • click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see icon you may need to first click Go Advanced)

Check if any Problem Devices reported
  • Make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

Generate then attach a DirectX report
  • click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see icon you may need to first click Go Advanced)

Hi,
Thanks for your help
Under problem devices, it was blank and no devices are reported.

Here is the attached DirectX report, I did the sound "test" and nothing, and it says "no problems found."

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    38.5 KB · Views: 7
Hmmm.. well nothing out of the ordinary in that report. It would appear all the sound devices are installed correctly. So 2 other things
The only wierd thing is when I check device manager, under "system devices," there is an option for "system speaker" which says no driver
1. That is weird. And can't think of what that might be... Could you capture a screenshot (hit PrintScreen button, open Accessories->Paint and paste, save as a .jpg and attach it to next post

2. Click Start->Run, enter: services.msc. Scroll to Windows Audio. Is Status=Started and StartupType=Automatic?

Off to bed.. Will checkin again tomorrow... ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz

1.) I have attached the screen shot.
2.) I have followed your instructions, and it says "started," and "automatic."

Thanks again, I can't seem to find the problem..really appreciate it, and have a good night's sleep, it's still early out here on the pacific coast..

Attachments

• screen shot.JPG
    screen shot.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 7
Re: System Speaker
I think that's internal speakers in your computer. Try running the BeepEx tool. Do you hear tones?

As to main sound problem
i think next best step is uninstalling/reinstalling the sound drivers. First, look carefully through Add/Remove programs as there's most likely a sound entry in there (as usually both drivers + control panel applets) get installed. So first try removing from Add/Remove which should also remove the drivers.

Then double check the Dev Mgr if drivers are gone (if not manually uninstall them)... then reinstall the latest Realtek

Hi,
I already downloaded the latest version from the Realtek Audio website, (however, I didn't uninstall the other version I have.) Should I uninstall everything, then go back to the website and download the newest version? I have two sound drivers listed under "Add or Remove" programs- "High Definition Audio Driver Package-Kb888111, publisher microsoft corporation" and "Realtek Hiigh Definition Audio Driver- Version 5.10.0.6101" I don't know what the "microsoft kb888111 is"? Should I uninstall both of them? The newest version of Realtek that I downloaded from the website, is not listed under add/remove..for some reason..Thanks, sorry for the confusion.

2.) YES! I hear beeps!!, first time I heard sound from my computer.

I'll post again later in the day when i have the time.. Just a short post now to be sure and tell you do NOT uninstall that microsoft KB.

Explain more later...

ok...

1. I'll skip the detail but don't ever uninstall that MS KB. It'll remove a driver file required for your sound to work that most won't know how to fix short of a reinstall

2. So you now verified you have internal sound speakers and they work. Windows doesn't need drivers or a sound card to generate simple beep tones on the speaker (that you heard). BUt working sound card + drivers are needed to create music, dings, chimes, and the other sounds we usually hear on our computers

3. So uninstall Realtek using Add/Remove Programs. Then reinstall Realtek

Hi,
I just have a quick question before I install that, a friend of mine told me to go to the computer website (which I already did to check to see if my driver was compatiable) and told me to install, "System Board-chipset + storage" drivers, and then to install the sound driver from powerspec website-

Should I do that or does my friend not know what they are talking about??

I don't know why but it won't let me post the link to the powerspec website for b600 drivers, it says I need a moderator to approve

I don't know why but it won't let me post the link to the powerspec website for b600 drivers, it says I need a moderator to approve

There's a minimum number of posts required before users can post urls (to discourage people who join just to spam)

As to your question.... Sure. Go ahead an reinstall "System Board-chipset + storage" drivers. I don't know if it may or may not help, but it certainly can't hurt. So give that a shot as well

Figured i;d add one more thing...

If, by chance, reinstalling drivers still didnt; help

Click Ctrl Panel->Sound-Audio. Check the pull down list for Sound Playback
> Isn;t anything listed? (or is it greyed out?)
> Is there just one or more then one thing listed?

Hi I reinstalled a new and latest driver from the Realtek website..and nothing..

I also tried installing "system board chip set and storage" I was successful in installing the chipset, but not the storage because it said "installation could not be complete, because your computer does not support it" or something like this..

Also, I checked Sound Playback and "Realtek HD audio" is listed..

I'm just not sure what to do at this point..

Well.... If problem is due to file corruption we can't find to fix.. then a Windows repair if not a full reinstall may be required. If it's hardware, there are some cheap USB addon sound cards to found (as well as better addon cards as well if you wanted)

I think next thing to try: See [post=766270]How to recover your folders/files when Windows won’t boot[/post] which includes instructions on how to create a Knoppix boot CD. Boot into Knoppix and try playing an audio CD. If it works in Knoppix, we know its a Windows problem. If it doesn't work, then is likely a hardware issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back