Soundblaster Audigy DirectSound issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soundblaster Audigy DirectSound issues [updated problem not limited to SB Audigy]

Hi spose I'd best start with my specs

Abit IT7-Max2 mbrd
Intel P4 2.8GHz
1024MB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 6600 from PNY
Soundblaster Audigy Platinum (the cause of my woes)
120 GB HDD
Windows XP Home (Legal version!)

So my problem

Last week I tried to install Sim City 4 with no luck at all - the installer kept hanging, in trying to prevent this I played around with selective startup from msconfig.

This caused me an even bigger problem.

When I rebooted I got a message saying that the hardware in my PC had changed significantly from when I had first activated windows and that I needed to reactivate it. however I seemed to have lost all access to the internet and could not do so. Also Norton internet security no longer started with windows, nor would it start from the programs folder.

So I got my windows disk and reinstalled over the top of the damaged version of windows, then reinstalled nortons as well.

However when I reinstalled windows I had a problem installing the soundcard drivers as it was asking for the drivers to be in a different location than they were on the disk and in fact I could not find one of them on the disk although there was one very similar (i figured I must have updated the driver at some point) anyway I logged onto creatives website today and downloaded the driver that the webupdate reccomended (Soundblaster Audigy, Audigy 2 series and Audigy4 series driver)

however I still get no sound when windows starts. I tried to play an mp3 in winamp and got

"Bad Direct Sound Driver. Please install proper drivers or select another device in configuration. Error code: 88780078"

I ran dxdiag and it runs the midi tests ok but when I do the dirext sound test I get the following error

"DirectSound test results: Failure at step 3 (DirectSoundCreate): HRESULT = 0x88780078 (No driver)"

any ideas???

[update] I removed my SB audigy card and re-enabled the on board audio (avance AC97) I still get the same error message in dxdiag. I am running DirectX 9.0c

HELP

also just to make things more confusing, whichever card I try to use shows up as working ok within device manager

and I am now getting an error message on startup saying that the sound card in the system is not properly installed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back