SpaceX to launch a swarm of US reconnaissance satellites next month

Alfonso Maruccia

Staff
Space surveillance: SpaceX has never had a particularly friendly relationship with traditional defense contractors and manufacturers. However, the company is allegedly ready to send a fleet of secret US spy satellites into low-earth orbit.

Unnamed sources told Reuters that SpaceX is working with aerospace and defense contractor Northrop Grumman to develop a highly advanced network of spy satellites. The devices are almost ready to launch aboard a Falcon 9 rocket. The US government will likely use them to acquire high-resolution imagery of Earth's surface.

The constellation of "hundreds" of spy satellites is part of a $1.8 billion contract between SpaceX and the National Reconnaissance Office (NRO), the US defense agency that operates US reconnaissance satellites. Northrop Grumman, one of the world's largest weapons manufacturers and military tech providers, is contributing specific surveillance solutions like a series of sensors for a subset of the spy satellites.

One of the sources said that it's in the "government's interest" to avoid investing too much in a single company "run by one person," an explanation providing an almost perfect definition of how SpaceX operates. Northrop Grumman will install its tech in at least 50 of the satellites. Other contractors are working on additional components, with SpaceX coordinating the efforts.

SpaceX is not unfamiliar with satellite swarms. It put thousands of satellites up for the Starlink internet service. The NRO is interested in exploiting the company's tried ability to launch "megaconstellations" through their existing manufacturing facilities and the reusable Falcon 9 carrier. The new satellites are a "proliferated" network of swarms of individual surveillance devices less vulnerable to a large-scale (albeit still theoretical) attack by enemy entities.

The new satellites have exceptionally high-quality image sensors, with a resolution that exceeds the capabilities of some of the best spy satellites currently employed by the US. The military could theoretically use them as an alternative to drones and reconnaissance aircraft for surveillance tasks without the risk of violating foreign airspace.

The insiders said the first elements of the new spy network will launch next month from Vandenberg Space Force Base in California. The NRO's principal deputy director, Troy Meink, confirmed the launch, stating it will be just the first of six identical operations slated for 2024 alone.

Permalink to story:

Every time I think Musk won't fall any lower, he jumps in, screaming "hold my beer".

Now it is war profiteering, an inspiration from Tony Stark, I'd wager, taken in the wrong way.

Every time I think Musk won't fall any lower, he jumps in, screaming "hold my beer".

Now it is war profiteering, an inspiration from Tony Stark, I'd wager, taken in the wrong way.
War profitedring is a bit strong for launching spy satellites. Especially since most satellites have some sort spy function. So would need to be anti-all-space-programs to be consistent.

This can only mean that something that Musk believes in very strongly has been proven to his satisfaction. Musk believes in freedom.

As for war profiteering....that's a joke but deserves a reply. No one makes stuff for free. Many people and companies have made profits off of war efforts. The B29 which was the most expensive WW II project made money for people and kept the world safe for democracy which I embrace whole heartedly. Democracy is under a severe threat world wide and if Musk can help and make money I am behind him 100%

Back