Sprint: Samsung Galaxy Tab out on November 14 for $400+

Emil

Staff

Sprint Nextel, the third biggest US mobile service, plans to sell the Samsung Galaxy Tab for $400 as of November 14. The initial subsidized price tag means higher overall costs: the device will require a two-year contract with monthly service fees starting at $29.99 for 2GB of data. Thus, when you include the service fees, Sprint customers end up paying at least $1,120 over two years. There's also a $59.99 per month plan that gives you 5GB of data.

Interestingly, Best Buy is getting in on the action as well, according to Pocketables. The retailer is already advertising the 7-inch Android 2.2 tablet in a silver WiFi-only variety, a WiFi + 3G black version from Verizon, and a WiFi + 3G version from Sprint. Curiously, the price starts at $499 without any mail-in rebates involved. We know it will debut in November like for everyone else, but Best Buy has yet to give an exact date for the debut.

Verizon Wireless, on the other hand, has already said it will start selling the Galaxy Tab on November 11 for $600 up front. Verizon will charge $20 for 1GB of data, but will not require customers to sign a contract. This translates to Verizon customers paying at least $1,080 over two years.

Permalink to story.

For what is such an expensive device is its main use? My brother had an ipad for about 4 weeks and then he sold it on because "He didn't really need it". In my opinion they seem to be more about portable entertainment than anything else.

though i would choose this over an ipad any day, i dont see myself shelling out about $ 600 for something like this.

I totally agree.
"Tablets" are way to expensive at the moment. In their favor, tablets offer WiFi. But, you might as well get a laptop with plain old wireless (or even better, a laptop with a WiFi card!) and have the flexibility of a full OS and your own programs then be tied to a tablet with an expensive data plan.

No point to argue about the usefulness of tablets now, Apple has created the market for it already.

I think the HP Slate will be a much better option than this or the iPad if they still release th $599 version they spoke of a while back. The $899 HP Slate 500 is a bit out of range for the home user in my opinion.

This can be a really good competitor for the iPad. If Best Buy sells the 16GB version for $499 them I can already see Steve Jobs sweating throughout! The current price of the iPad is $499, so if the Galaxy Tab can sell at the same price, then it is a great laternative(I don't live in US, so I am just commenting on what is available in US)

Comapring the two, the main problem (or advantage to very mobile users) I see in the Galaxy Tab is the Screen Real Estate. It is 7-inch comapred to the iPads 9.7-inch. Gaming would be nice on a bigger screen, as would office work, like spreadsheets. The Galaxy Tab delivers well on the Hardware side. Both the Devices have a 1Ghz Processor, but I am not sure about the comparison between the two;

The Galaxy Tab has more RAM (512 vs. 256) which should improve performance. It also has a MicroSD slot which I think is a brilliant adition (It supports upto 32GB). This gives the user basically unlimited storage, and is one of the things I hate about the iPad. Galaxy also has Bluetooth 3 vs. 2.1+EDR on iPad, which should mean something.

The Galaxy Tab also weighs 300g less, so it should be great for those who travel often, along with the smaller form factor. The Galaxy tab also has a 3MP Camera which is just awesome for capturing those precious moments. A really important selling point is the fact the the Galaxy Tab supports Flash while the iPad will neer ever support it :<

The OS is something I can't really compare. I think the Galaxy Tab is great value for money, especailly compared to the iPad

Like anything. The tablet is the new fad and everyone will jump on the bandwagon. I think they have their niche market, but I don't see it for the masses.

Tablets currently are only expensive toys for people who are willing to pay for them in my opinion. Until they maek tablets with pc operating systems like windows and linux a smartphone will be able to do the same with less money.

I think i stated this when it was revealed. Nobody with half a brain cell will spend that much for a device running on a ****ing CDMA network. It's such a joke. Even EvDO rev 2 can't keep up with HSPA. Who is this supposed to appeal to? I can barely stand CDMA on my palm pre, let alone on something that's supposed to compete with laptops and netbooks.

Was personally interested in this device when I first heard about it, but with such a high price point I was turned off. I don't see a tablet being worth more then $300-$400 with WiFi & no contract and what some of these retailers are trying to push is a bit ridiculous. I'll keep enjoying my notebook which is more productive for the time being until something more competitive comes along at a much lower price.

Personally all I want from a tablet is the ability to use a stylus and take notes. That's all I use my Tablet PC for right now, but I would like something smaller and with more battery life, even if it's at the cost of being able to run more things.

tablets are just fancy netbooks..... they are meant to do the exact same things as a netbook does, its just more aesthetically appealing. if u want mobile gaming, go get a smart phone or a laptop, not a tablet that plays smart phone games and is as expensive as a laptop.

I like the Tab, as I do with the iPad.

My school actually gave out an iPad to every incoming freshman, and using it is pretty nice. Of course it's not nice because Jobs says it is, and looking at the price tag makes you want to gag.

Back to the Tab, it will really have a hard time selling. The iPad is cheaper, and (for the moronic masses) is shiny and made by Apple. The Tab will fit in your back pocket (maybe) and in your purse (maybe). Too large. Any attempt to market tablets as portable is just a joke.

The WiFI only version seems like a neat idea if its at reduced cost, with it becoming more and more available everywhere it would be nice to do away with a cell contract all together. Not that I see myself ever not having a cell any time soon, Canada is a couple years behind when it comes to getting anything worth owning. Anything that is is overpriced too.

They call them 'Smart phones' because they know how to 'transfer' the high cash from the user's pocket to the 'service' one. I will keep my 'dumb' phone!

These tablets like this seem relatively pointless for the price. They seem to bulky for their trivial apps they have. Id rather have something palmsized for what these can do. Now if it was a full fledged computer, that would be a different story.

I don't see the point in this tablet or the ipad you can't really use them for much except video reading and lite internet use why not grab a laptop and call it good. Plus look at those plans who on here can't use more than 5gb's of bandwidth in a month?

Well its good to see the iPad competition is surging forward, and hopefulyl the market will mature and drive prices down and technology up. Jobs already said he isn't concerned about 7" tablets, but i'm not convinced... if these do take off I would love to see the facial expression on Jobs face when they are kicking the iPad's butt up and down the street.

However I agree these are a niche market and they are too expensive right now. I like the packaging, size, and appearance of these devices but I too don't see much use in them. Portable media boxes... sure, quick screw around in the office between workloads gaming... sure, browsing the internet briefly... sure. But beyond that, I just don't see the use. Too much money for a cool little gadget. Only techie guys will like these and buy them most likely. Oh and people who have money to waste...

I do see the use of these in specific business functions though. Personally my job as an IT tech for a building of 200 users, walking around with WiFi on and being able to reset passwords, move files around on the network, all kinds of IT tech things I could do with a device like this. If I can use Microsoft's Remote Desktop over WiFi then i'm totally in... but I don't think that exists, so then the device would have to be running Windows, which is where the HP Slate comes in.

More competition means soon to be lower prices all around. Let's hope more and more of these products get cranked out to hopefully lower the prices.

This is too high a price to pay for a third device. The first is the cell phone, second is the laptop and this is in between. Come on Samsung, you don't have to be Apple.. You are bigger than that. I think tablets will really catch on when they are priced at 300 dollars with all the bells and whistles and without contract. I will jump in right about then, Thank you very much.

prices are too high for these devices. hopefully as more competition comes out, the prices get lower. apple has set the trend for tablets and i think it has only caught on because of the brand name. it would be sweet to have one but i think having a cheap laptop is better than having one of those flashy multi-media devices. since it doesnt have much use other than playing games and other media. idk.. they all look the same to me. haha. well that's just my opinion.

Back