Square Enix says be patient, it will get Final Fantasy VII part 2 out ASAP

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In context: The first episode of the Final Fantasy VII remake was only released a few months ago, but we shouldn't have to wait long for the followup, right? After all, the core of the game is already built, so production should go rather quickly. The developer said it wants to get it out ASAP, but it is still urging "patience."

Final Fantasy VII Remake was a long time coming. Square Enix initially hinted at it in 2005 at E3. It was revealed as a tech demo for the PlayStation 3 and was expected to release on that console. The game spent close to two full console generations in development limbo as fans wondered if it was ever going to happen. It finally officially announced it in 2015. Square Enix later revealed that it would not even be the full FFVII story but that it would be broken up into three parts.

Since launching the first episode back in April, many have wondered how long it would be before they would get their hands on part two. Square Enix has been elusive about when the next chapter would be ready. We can rest assured that it surely will not be another 15 years. Developers have already swung into full production on the next iteration but cannot say how long it will take.

In a recent interview with Weekly Famitsu, co-directors Naoki Hamaguchi and Tetsuya Nomura said the company plans to get the second part out ASAP, but that fans need to be patient.

"While we are earnestly working on it, we may make you wait, but please look forward to it," said the directors. "We would like to get it out as soon as possible, but we are also keeping an eye on quality for the next one because we want players to enjoy something that's even higher quality than the first. We ask that you wait a little longer, even though we are trying to release the game as quickly as possible."

While a five-year development plan is potentially possible, it is not likely that the team will take that long. Fans can be patient, but spending a decade of their life to complete one story is pushing the limits, even for the hardcore.

That said, we have all seen what happens when developers rush a game, so the last thing Square Enix needs to do is push FFVIIR part two out the door before it is ready.

Permalink to story.

Well, at least your grandkids will be able to play the entire series. If ever there was a way to completely take any hype out of a game, releasing it in parts like this will do it.

Well, at least your grandkids will be able to play the entire series. If ever there was a way to completely take any hype out of a game, releasing it in parts like this will do it.
I actually think they are doing the right thing to split the game. It allows them ample time to expand and iterate and they aren't throwing everything in one basket. The marketing machine will build hype for each one.

I actually think they are doing the right thing to split the game. It allows them ample time to expand and iterate and they aren't throwing everything in one basket. The marketing machine will build hype for each one.

Expanding as in charging $60 per part for less content then the original in each part?

I'm a big fan of the original game but this is a cash grab. The content they have added has been described as " a bit too much filler and some convoluted new plot points " by IGN. That's bad, IGN's bar is incredibly low. It's no surprise though given that every game since 10 has been exactly that.

Let's be honest here, this is going to be a 3 - 4 part series costing you $240 by the end and all you get extra is pretty graphics and a bunch of extra filler. Yay.

Expanding as in charging $60 per part for less content then the original in each part?

I'm a big fan of the original game but this is a cash grab. The content they have added has been described as " a bit too much filler and some convoluted new plot points " by IGN. That's bad, IGN's bar is incredibly low. It's no surprise though given that every game since 10 has been exactly that.

Let's be honest here, this is going to be a 3 - 4 part series costing you $240 by the end and all you get extra is pretty graphics and a bunch of extra filler. Yay.
You certainly haven't played the game it seems. I played the original 20 years ago and FF7R made me feel like I was a 10 years old again, yes the game is not perfect but it's a perfect remake of the original and I hope they take their time so we can play part 2 in UE5.

You certainly haven't played the game it seems. I played the original 20 years ago and FF7R made me feel like I was a 10 years old again, yes the game is not perfect but it's a perfect remake of the original and I hope they take their time so we can play part 2 in UE5.

I don't see anything in this comment that rebuts any of the points I've made. I see some serious bias in the form of nostalgia.

If you quote IGN instead of your own experience with the game then I see no reason to give you any counter-arguments.

Out of all of the reviews you went with ING... I'm so disappointed with you :)

If you quote IGN instead of your own experience with the game then I see no reason to give you any counter-arguments.

Out of all of the reviews you went with ING... I'm so disappointed with you :)

Oh boy, you clearly didn't read my post.

I specifically mentioned that here:

" That's bad, IGN's bar is incredibly low. "

That's was the whole point, if IGN, who typically gives glowing reviews of bad games, you know it's a problem that was very evident.

That ain't the only website that wrote an article on the topic either:

A simple google search tells all.

Why even bother posting if you've already discounted other's opinions based on what you think? As you said yourself, you aren't even bothering to put any effort into your posts here.

Last edited:
I’m going to wait until it’s all out and the PS4 is last hen and cheap and il buy a second hand PS4 and just sit down and play all of them in a row.

Or you know Sony could stop being dicks and release the game on PC and il pay full price for them new as they come out as this game is incredible.

Oh boy, you clearly didn't read my post.

I specifically mentioned that here:

" That's bad, IGN's bar is incredibly low. "

That's was the whole point, if IGN, who typically gives glowing reviews of bad games, you know it's a problem that was very evident.

That ain't the only website that wrote an article on the topic either:

A simple google search tells all.

Why even bother posting if you've already discounted other's opinions based on what you think? As you said yourself, you aren't even bothering to put any effort into your posts here.
Because it isn't your opinion. You didn't play the game. How about at least watching a few hours of twitch streams? Your are making an argument based on a few reviews and you are pushing it so strongly that you might as well declare that it is fact.

If you are going to use reviews (like the one from ING... ewww) then why not go all the way and give us here the metacritic scores? Include the user scores too. Show us that the reviews are generally bad or at least mediocre and that people disliked it.

Here's an interesting opinion: when Angry Joe, Jim Sterling, Yong Yea, John Linneman (DigitalFoundry) say it's a really good game then it most likely is amazing.

Last edited:
This was probably the biggest disappointment of my entire gaming experience throughout my life. when this first was released in the 90s the graphics sucked (good for 90s) but the gameplay was fantastic!! there was no voice acting, you actually had to read and pay attention.

with this remake it seems like more went into making it look nice and adding in the voice actors - which is likely where most of the budget went - there was some good story too here though - not discounting that - but no one asked for it - if you are going to remake the game - REMAKE THE GAME - don't make it Final Fantasy VII-2, which is really what this is. had they just remade the game with the same game play and better graphics like everyone originally wanted, we would have had the entire game, and the experience that was desired. BUT, as with all things these days, not just video games, its all about how it looks - not how it performs.

This was probably the biggest disappointment of my entire gaming experience throughout my life. when this first was released in the 90s the graphics sucked (good for 90s) but the gameplay was fantastic!! there was no voice acting, you actually had to read and pay attention.

with this remake it seems like more went into making it look nice and adding in the voice actors - which is likely where most of the budget went - there was some good story too here though - not discounting that - but no one asked for it - if you are going to remake the game - REMAKE THE GAME - don't make it Final Fantasy VII-2, which is really what this is. had they just remade the game with the same game play and better graphics like everyone originally wanted, we would have had the entire game, and the experience that was desired. BUT, as with all things these days, not just video games, its all about how it looks - not how it performs.
It's a remake, not a remaster. And who is this "we"?

This is the perfect case of damned if you do, damned if you don't for the devs. I'm so glad they didn't listen to people like you and made a good modern game.

The gameplay was one the flaws of the original, it was the result of many MANY limitations of the system and era it was made for. People remember fondly the story, not the grind and slow combat system. And you still have a ton of ATB action in the new one, what did you not like about it?

"there was some good story too here though - not discounting that - but no one asked for it " - ahh... what? O_o

You want the original? Go play the official remastered version. Nobody is taking that away from you. Or go play the original version on a PS1.

I can't take any of this article seriously. Claiming that it was teased for the PS3? Ha! Very publicly stated that the into recreation was only ever intended to be a tech demo. Claiming this took 2 whole console generations to make pt1 is just outright false and bad journalism. Try again.

The problem I have with FF7 remake is that its not a remake and advertising as such is on the boarder of false adverting. If it was a remake we wouldn't have the black whispers/dementor things, they wouldn't have changed things like shinra tower. At the best its a reimaging of it and it should have been made clear from the start.

As for the "its going to be in 3" parts I am calling complete cash grab. 40 hours so far (lost interest in the game now and not got to the shinra building) where as the original took an hour maybe 2 to leave midgar where the bulk of the game takes place. The other issue I have with the new version is claiming that classic combat was going to be in it when its no where near classic really annoyed me. What do they plan to do with the open world? Trim that down even futher so you can not visit places that you shouldn't before its time like getting to the forbidden forest from the dig site and grabbing the summon materia before going inside the temple of the ancients to grab the black materia.
They going to release chocobo breading as a dlc? Release golden saucer games as dlc?
Golden saucer coin as microtransactions?

Yes the game is good for those that didnt play the original and was expecting a 1:1 actual remake of the game but as a die hard fan of the original this new version fell far too short of what FF7 was all about in my eyes. If they did a 1:1 actual remake and it came out as a full game for £120 (non if this normal/deluxe/collectors editions) I would have been happy even if I had to wait another 5years for it.

Because it isn't your opinion. You didn't play the game. How about at least watching a few hours of twitch streams? Your are making an argument based on a few reviews and you are pushing it so strongly that you might as well declare that it is fact.

If you are going to use reviews (like the one from ING... ewww) then why not go all the way and give us here the metacritic scores? Include the user scores too. Show us that the reviews are generally bad or at least mediocre and that people disliked it.

Here's an interesting opinion: when Angry Joe, Jim Sterling, Yong Yea, John Linneman (DigitalFoundry) say it's a really good game then it most likely is amazing.

The game for new players to FF7 yes it might be amazing but to those actual diehard fans this remake is an extremely poor showing. They bulked out a game that didnt need it. They restricted alot of the game. Classic combat was not classic at all. Summons being given to you before they should and restricted to the area you are in meaning ifrit/shiva and any of the "large class summons" had little to no use in the actual game.

Had they named it differently then they wouldn't be getting half of the bad press and negativity about the game but they chose poorly with the name as its not a remake as stated on the box/adverts/listings of the game but infact a reimagining and it should have been stated that from day 1 and should have been on the box etc.

The game for new players to FF7 yes it might be amazing but to those actual diehard fans this remake is an extremely poor showing. They bulked out a game that didnt need it. They restricted alot of the game. Classic combat was not classic at all. Summons being given to you before they should and restricted to the area you are in meaning ifrit/shiva and any of the "large class summons" had little to no use in the actual game.

Had they named it differently then they wouldn't be getting half of the bad press and negativity about the game but they chose poorly with the name as its not a remake as stated on the box/adverts/listings of the game but infact a reimagining and it should have been stated that from day 1 and should have been on the box etc.
I don't understand what you were expecting from a modern game. The combat system you seem to hate with a passion is actually one of the best parts of the game. It's fluid, the characters all play differently with interesting abilities and it still has strategic depth. The story is also really freaking good.

You really need to look up the definition of a remake since you are confusing it with "clone".

FYI they aren't getting bad press, the press is actually praising the game and so are the vast majority of the players.

As soon as they wrote the word "remake" everybody understood that they will change many things. They never hid this fact. They created a new FF7 for a new generation that pays respect to the source material.

You want to play the original? Go play the original, you even have a "remastered" version.

Back