Ssd-hdd

chris1723

Hi I have two questions about SSDs and HDDs
1) should I have to format a disk (ssd or hdd) before I first install windows after a new pc build?
2) many youtubers and generally people who know about computers have two SDDs.One just for OS and
some basic programms and at least another one for games etc.Is it worth to have only one ssd for both OS and games, heavy programms?Does my sdd speed go down sooner?

Having more than one 'disk' has been a 'divide & conquer' almost from day-1. Frequently, the segregation is like:
  • one disk c: for the OS
  • another d: for all c:\user\$logins\
This simplifies backups, reduces backup media requirements and makes for easy reinstalls of the OS without impacting the user.
This is involved and and can be challenging to create.
every backup (system OR user data) requires a registry backup.​

Thanks for the reply to my second question but what about first?I must format my drive in a new build even he is empty?

If there is an existing partition table, then just QUICK format it, otherwise you must create a P.T. and then format.

Other than IBM Mainframes, all systems {Mac, Windows, Linux} require a partition to exist before the system can r/w or create any files. Here's a picture from my Win/7 Laptop as it came from the factory:
upload_2017-10-12_8-12-36.png
Notice that the C:\ disk is actually Partition #3 on Disk #0 and is the only one marked, Boot & Page File.

During the install of Windows, if the disk needs a partition to be created, Windows will offer to do that for you.

On Linux, you will need a tool like Gparted - - here's a tutorial too

Back