Star Wars Jedi: Survivor marred with technical issues on PC

nanoguy

Staff member
Why it matters: In the words of one reviewer, Star Wars Jedi: Survivor "takes what Fallen Order achieved and wall-runs with it, then double-jumps and air-dashes straight into an epic lightsaber battle." That is only if you ignore the technical issues that are present in the new title even after Respawn delayed the release to "achieve the level of polish our fans deserve."

Reviews are already out for the much-anticipated Star Wars Jedi: Survivor ahead of its April 28 release date. While many are praising the story and characters as well as the improvements to core gameplay compared to Jedi: Fallen Order, the game is unfortunately plagued by serious technical issues that ruin an otherwise promising AAA title.

Specifically, it looks like the new game suffers from poor optimization, which is a common theme with almost all games released on PC in recent years. German publication GameStar tested Star Wars Jedi: Survivor using a GeForce RTX 3080 and even an RTX 4090 but saw frame rates dropping below the 20 fps mark with either card.

Also read: Shader Compilation and Why It Causes Stuttering, Explained

The reviewers explain that they even applied a "day-zero" patch that was supposed to iron out most of the glaring issues, but performance remained largely the same. Even when pairing an AMD Ryzen 9 5900X CPU with an RTX 4090 and 32 gigabytes of RAM (the amount recommended on most new titles), the game struggled to run smoothly while GPU utilization mostly oscillated between 35 and 60 percent.

This suggests that Star Wars Jedi: Survivor is an extremely CPU-bound title, but that's not the only issue it has. As it turns out, the new game can allocate up to 18 gigabytes of VRAM when running at 1440p, leading to frame rates that drop to 15-20 fps during cutscenes or when stepping through a door. As noted by PC Gamer, this can last for ten seconds or more, which would be unplayable.

Interestingly, reviewers testing the game on consoles like the PlayStation 5 reported similar technical issues, including audio sync issues and numerous slowdowns even when running in 1440p Performance Mode.

EA says the day-one patch will fix some of these issues on all platforms, with many more patches planned for the coming weeks. In other words, you should probably wait a bit more before continuing Cal's journey.

Permalink to story.

If patches to fix all of this are "coming in the next few weeks" why release it? Why not wait "a few weeks" and release it in a better state?

All this has done is made my interest in the game go from "sounds pretty good, might pick it up" to, "I'll wait for it on a sale in a year".

I doubt I'm the only person to lose interest after hearing it's been released in a bad state...

Last edited:
Nope, you are correct! And here in the UK they’re asking £60 for the base game… only to receive a sub-par product.. I am interested in this game but the price is well beyond my “comfort zone” so will wait. Hopefully by the time it is discounted by say 20% all these issues will be polished so I will enjoy the game as it should be instead feeling frustrated and taken advantage of..

If patches to fix all of this are "coming in the next few weeks" why release it? Why not way "a few weeks" and release it in a better state?

All this has done is made my interest in the game go from "sounds pretty good, might pick it up" to, "I'll wait for it on a sale in a year".

I doubt I'm the only person to lose interest after hearing it's been released in a bad state...

Agree 100%. Though to be frank, I would have probably waited at least two years anyway to get it on sale. I refuse to pay $70 for any game, much less an unoptimized and buggy piece of trash.

I’m also saying this as someone who owns and enjoyed Fallen Order.

here in the UK they’re asking £60 for the base game…
I refuse to pay $70 for any game...
This is the thing that blows my mind, they now charge soo much for a new release game yet somehow, the quality at release is actually getting worse.

I get that video games have gotten more complicated since the PS2/PS3/Xbox/Xbox360 era but surely not to the extent that its seemingly impossible to release a polished game.

There's no way to measure this in a similar vein that you can't measure how much money is lost to piracy, but I do wonder if the CEO's of these Publishers / Developers understand that releasing something in such a poor state is probably hurting sales more than simply delaying the product by a few months.

Agree 100%. Though to be frank, I would have probably waited at least two years anyway to get it on sale. I refuse to pay $70 for any game, much less an unoptimized and buggy piece of trash.

I’m also saying this as someone who owns and enjoyed Fallen Order.

The only game I am purchasing day 1 is Diablo 4. It might have bugs like all games but it is pretty optimized already. The $70 is hard to swallow but hundreds of hours of enjoyment make up for that. I usually wait for game of the year editions to come out and by then they are usually discounted.

How would one quantify the return on investment for optimization for lower vram and multiple cores/ threads? Brute force computing will only canabylise initial sales. How are we regressing with optimization at an accelerated rate with advanmentems in 2 competing low level apis and adavanmetcent in code generating ai but no pc gaming is is literally killing itself. From one side we have peaking worse optimization and on the other stagnation of vram, 8 core cpus and price hikes on hardware just to compensate for low hardware optimization. This is BS. PC gaming is being assassinated from all sides because we decided we aren't going to be their cash cow anymore!

18G of Vram? Ridiculous. There are very few GPUs with that much Vram and I guarantee you that most people don't have them. I feel like developers are getting extremely lazy, but that problem will correct itself. When unoptimized games come out, they will fail commercially, and those developers will be out of jobs. I don't wish that on any one but if they don't get their heads out of their asses, they will be unemployed.

This is the thing that blows my mind, they now charge soo much for a new release game yet somehow, the quality at release is actually getting worse.

I get that video games have gotten more complicated since the PS2/PS3/Xbox/Xbox360 era but surely not to the extent that its seemingly impossible to release a polished game.

There's no way to measure this in a similar vein that you can't measure how much money is lost to piracy, but I do wonder if the CEO's of these Publishers / Developers understand that releasing something in such a poor state is probably hurting sales more than simply delaying the product by a few months.
PS2/Xbox era didn't have the crutch that is always online requirements which then allow game developers to release games in an state of completion and patch, patch, patch later. If a PS2/Xbox game released and was fundamentally broken it would have be totally unacceptable, devs got lazy and are being let off way too easy these days.

PS3 was a notoriously complicated console to develop for and even that had fully playable games when they were released, updates did get release, however never zero day patches from what I can remember to fix game braking bugs.

PS4/Xbone era had architectures that coincided with PCs and we all expected this to lead to better cross platform support, easier game development in general and overall a better experience, yet this is when things truly started to go south for some of the AAA titles you'd never expect to see fall so far. This trend is continuing and as the hardware gets faster, it seems to allow more oversights in optimization and overall quality.

PS2/Xbox era didn't have the crutch that is always online requirements which then allow game developers to release games in an state of completion and patch, patch, patch later. If a PS2/Xbox game released and was fundamentally broken it would have be totally unacceptable, devs got lazy and are being let off way too easy these days.

PS3 was a notoriously complicated console to develop for and even that had fully playable games when they were released, updates did get release, however never zero day patches from what I can remember to fix game braking bugs.

PS4/Xbone era had architectures that coincided with PCs and we all expected this to lead to better cross platform support, easier game development in general and overall a better experience, yet this is when things truly started to go south for some of the AAA titles you'd never expect to see fall so far. This trend is continuing and as the hardware gets faster, it seems to allow more oversights in optimization and overall quality.
the problem is pretty simple, gamers need to stop buying and rewarding devs for these broken titles.

look at how many studios release a cgi trailer 1 or 2yrs before the official release and these dopey fans run out and preorder it, they'll then play through it problems and all week 1 then probably jump on forums n such and complain, well its no point then, the game maker got their cash, they dont care anymore.

do we really need to buy a game immediately when the clock strikes 12? no. I have games in my backlog that go back to the ps1 era(I'll beat grandia one day!). devs need to quit wasting resources on videos showing milestones and features and just work on making a solid product, theres plenty games to play in the meantime.

wasting 18gigs of vram means your s**t is broken!

the problem is pretty simple, gamers need to stop buying and rewarding devs for these broken titles.

look at how many studios release a cgi trailer 1 or 2yrs before the official release and these dopey fans run out and preorder it, they'll then play through it problems and all week 1 then probably jump on forums n such and complain, well its no point then, the game maker got their cash, they dont care anymore.

do we really need to buy a game immediately when the clock strikes 12? no. I have games in my backlog that go back to the ps1 era(I'll beat grandia one day!). devs need to quit wasting resources on videos showing milestones and features and just work on making a solid product, theres plenty games to play in the meantime.

wasting 18gigs of vram means your s**t is broken!
Optimization should be priority number one not a post launch afterthought! If we learned anything from unhappy PC gamers they can easily effect sales by user review bombing it. Have you seen the meme where they talk about waiting for Shader compilation now lasts about the window for a refund for some. 🤦‍♂️

I had truly high hopes that they would be smart enough to release it AFTER its been patched..........but per usual the $$$$ rules the day, and they are more concerned with meeting the launch date, instead of waiting until its right. I'm sure it will be a great game, as its predecessor was one of my favs..........but this does leave a sour taste in my mouth, definitely not going to purchase on launch day if its like this.........

Good Star Wars games died in the 00s era; the Origin/EA versions are pathetically dumbed down shadows of what was.

And that's why I purchase/download most AAA games a year after the original release (except for Elden Ring). No company can be trusted anymore in the software world.

Oh EA has something to do with it well that says it all. There's a reason I don't buy anything that has EA's fingers in its butthole they always manage to turn whatever they touch into a steaming pile of sh!t

Seriously this is beyond a pathetic joke. WTaF are these clowns doing during development, just running simulations rather than installing it on actual PC systems. Bringing a 4090 to it's knees in only 1440p is appalling.

Maybe it will be all sorted in time for a STEAM 2025 80% off summer sale!

Just a reminder 100% of the proceeds go to Disney. At 17% price hike you get less for more. It's Magical!

I got Fallen Order for free from Epic Games and still haven't played it. I suppose that I will wait for this one to be given away as well...

For PC gaming; wait a year (or 2) for the patches and the discount prices, and you get the final polished game at a cheaper price. I'm still waiting for patch 1.7 before buying Cyberpunk 2077. :)

Just a reminder 100% of the proceeds go to Disney. At 17% price hike you get less for more. It's Magical!
This actually makes it a hard purchase for me. Respawn makes great games and I really enjoyed Jedi Fallen Order, it was definitely one of the better Star Wars entries of the past decade. Maybe I'll just wait until its dirt cheap like most EA titles are in 12 months.

This actually makes it a hard purchase for me. Respawn makes great games and I really enjoyed Jedi Fallen Order, it was definitely one of the better Star Wars entries of the past decade. Maybe I'll just wait until its dirt cheap like most EA titles are in 12 months.
it's pretty bad when even the 7800X3D is cpu bound with a 4090. Also rt on is even a bigger shyte show.

Back