Startup Permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

cogenmaster

Anyone know how to give a startup program permission to start so you don't have to click on allow whenever you reboot your computer. Program in question is MSI's dual core monitoring software.

P.S. Anyone got a 8800 GTS mine runs at idle around 65-68C, that sure seems hot to me. I have decent size case with inlet fan and rear exhaust fan.

Eric

You question is not clear. what software is asking you to start yor monitoring software.is it a firewall? is the software itself? explain more and be more specific.R

Usually there is a "don't ask me again" tick box in these firewall prompts.
If not, you should be able to define this program as "allowed" somwhere in the firewall configuration.

RE Program Control

Sorry I was not more precise, in vista when some programs run you get a pop-up box offering you to allow or deny the progam to run. It is not the firewall software it something new in vista, I personnally find it rather bothersome. When the dual-core monitoring software launches at boot-up I get the message box asking me to allow or deny program launch, whereas say my avg anti-virus just launches at boot without having to allow it to run. I am sure there must be a place where you can allow programs to start-up without microsoft asking me whether I want to start it or not.

I think what you are referring to is a result of UAC (User access control).

I haven't committed to Vista yet, but from what I've read it seems as thought it attempts to mimic how Linux / Mac OS X handle user accounts. The idea is even administrators don't have system-level permissions, so you can't break your own system. As a result, you get prompts to authenticate every time you do something that is beyond the scope of normal usage. However, I have also read that Vista's implementation might be excessive.

Here is a guide on disabling UAC, although this may not be the smartest thing to do... but certainly an option if the nag screens you are seeing are a result of it.
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/...le-user-account-control-uac-in-windows-vista/

User Account Control

Thanks Rick that is exactly what it is and it is really annoying. Pops up when installing software and launching countless apps. It might be a good thing but I think it is a little to intrusive.

I'm actually pretty disappointed to see UAC so easily defeated. If it is so simple to bypass that you can use msconfig, what's the point?... And it looks like tweaks_sav beat me to it. ;)

Method 4 - Using MsConfig System Configuration

1. Run MsConfig from Run option.
2. In System Configuration window, click on the Tools tab.
3. Scroll down and locate “Disable UAP” or “Disable UAC” option item. Click on that line.

UAC settings in MSconfig
4. Click the Launch button.
5. A command prompt window will open and automatically execute and run certain process to disable UAC.
6. Close CMD window when done.
7. Close Msconfig.
8. Restart computer for changes to apply and effective.
9. To re-enable UAC, simply select “Enable UAP” or “Enable UAC” instead of “Disable UAP” or “Disable UAC”, and then click on Launch button.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back