Steam reveals its best-selling games of the year

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Steam’s Best of 2019 charts are here, highlighting the year’s top sellers, new releases, early access titles, and VR games, as well as the games with most simultaneous players. As usual, the lists are separated into Platinum, Gold, Silver, and Bronze, and they contain some unexpected entries.

Despite being released on Windows back in 2015, Grand Theft Auto V remains one of the year’s best-sellers on Steam. The Platinum category is also populated with PUBG, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, and Total War: Three Kingdoms. Free games including CS:GO, Dota 2, and Warframe make the list, which is measured by gross revenue for the year. Destiny 2 also makes an appearance, even though it only launched on the platform on November 1.

In the Gold category, we see Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, Resident Evil 2, and Halo: The Master Chief Collection. There’s also 2015’s The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, which saw a resurgence in popularity recently, thanks to Netflix’s TV show.

The Silver list shows that titles such as Team Fortress 2 and Borderlands 2 remain popular, while Cyberpunk 2077’s pre-orders secure it a place in the Bronze section.

When it comes to the top games released this year, Red Dead Redemption 2 is ranked as Platinum, though it only managed Silver in the overall top-sellers list.

The excellent Beat Sabre and Superhot VR made the top VR-only Platinum category, while They Are Billions and PC Building Simulator were two of the biggest games that left Early Access this year.

Finally, there are the most-played games of the year. Twelve games had a peak concurrent player count of over 100,000 people, including Sekiro, PUBG, Total War: Three Kingdoms, and Halo: The Master Chief Collection.

Make sure to check out all the year’s top Steam games here.

Permalink to story.

I Won't/don't buy games anymore.

I'm simply not prepared to reward the corporate a$$holes, who've turned the whole industry into a cynical loot box, micro transaction, DLC infested cash grab.

Find someone else to pay for your 3rd home, 4th or 5th Sports Car....and drug habit.

I have never understood why anyone should care about the "best selling game of the year" except the creators of the game. Appears to me to just be wasted space and there is nothing technical about it .....

You should lower the Monster Hunter by at least my purchase. I bought it, but didn't get around to launch it until after the refund allowance period. The first thing it does is prompt you to accept their privacy violation agreement. You seriously cannot even play single player unless they are allowed to take whatever they want from your PC. I am not able to even play it. Civilization 6 is the same way except it's only multiplayer. There is not a "never accept" - every time you launch the game you have to click Not Accept. There is a Always Accept button though... They ignore my emails on how to block it permanently.

Last edited:
You should lower the Monster Hunter by at least my purchase. I bought it, but didn't get around to launch it until after the refund allowance period. The first thing it does is prompt you to accept their privacy violation agreement. You seriously cannot even play single player unless they are allowed to take whatever they want from your PC. I am not able to even play it. Civilization 6 is the same way except it's only multiplayer. There is not a "never accept" - every time you launch the game you have to click Not Accept. There is a Always Accept button though... They ignore my emails on how to block it permanently.
I think civ 5 is the better game anyway

I think civ 5 is the better game anyway

I like both for different reasons. The thing about 6 that has grown on me is the way you have to adapt your cities to the terrain. You can't just build every wonder in any city. I do not like the only way to build roads is to waste trade routes within your own cities rather than other civs. This also means you can't pick where they build the roads. Unless you want to spend a huge amount of resources on engineers. The NPC civs are much better than they used to be. This isn't really about the article though.

Yea
I have never understood why anyone should care about the "best selling game of the year" except the creators of the game. Appears to me to just be wasted space and there is nothing technical about it .....

Yea, exactly, you should watch Tim Rogers' game of the year 2019.

Back