Strange folders constantly appearing

gbhall

Windows 7 pro 32bit desktop PC with a WD elements USB plugin drive letter K:

A puzzling feature of my system is the continual appearance of the strangely-named folders such as the first eleven shown below immediately under RECYCLE.BIN (sorted on name)
upload_2015-1-21_19-23-7.png
If I try to open one of these folders, it shows an 'access denied' message and I cannot view any content. Not that it matters, as there does not appear to be any content anyway, if I check using a Dos box running as administrator. Moreover, I can right-click, select delete, and after confirming a couple of messages, I can actually delete them, despite them all being marked read-only.

So it's just a nuisance, but I don't know where they come from, which concerns me a little. There can be several days of nothing happening, then more than one appears on the same day. It possibly has to do with Avast, or Windows Defender, or more likely Windows Update program, I don't know. No other drive shows these things. It may or may not be significant that my drive K: has the largest free space, and that I am set to see all system files, because I like to feel in charge of my own PC, not MS !!!

If anyone has a clue, I'll be glad to hear it.

Last edited:
Back