Strange issues with WiFi router

I am confused and have no idea where to start... I apologise in advance for the wall of text.

Recently I have been experiencing odd issues with my WiFi router ( at least I think its the router) ZyXel Keenetic Giga II. The most annoying of which is the periodic inability to load random webpages. For example, I might be able to load google but not any of the search results while at the same time being able to browse reddit on my phone or tablet. The pattern changed constantly and it doesn't seem to affect any particular web pages. Like I said - random. This happens once or twice a week and seems to be increasing in frequency. I have tried rebooting the router. Rolling back to factory settings, changing DNS. With no result. It only resolves itself when it "feels" like it and usually lasts from 5 min to several hours. It is also worth mentioning that I hardly ever use my laptop and most of the browsing and streaming is done using various mobile devices.

Any help in defeating my router would be greatly appreciated.

Describe "The most annoying of which is the periodic inability to load random webpages" in detail please - -

If a new firmware update doesn't solve this issue, then the router has gone duff (bad). But can you tell us if the router is overheating. I've found a few images of it.

Keenetic_II_front.jpg

giga2-inside-1.jpg

Describe "The most annoying of which is the periodic inability to load random webpages" in detail please - -
For example I google something and search results come up but then only some of them can be opened. I search again, but now some of the ones that could be opened previously open but others don't . Yet at the same time I might be able to access reddit through an app fine, but not open imagur links. I try it through the browser and it works fine. Does that make sense? It's confusing and even more confusing to describe.

If a new firmware update doesn't solve this issue, then the router has gone duff (bad). But can you tell us if the router is overheating. I've found a few images of it.

Keenetic_II_front.jpg

giga2-inside-1.jpg
The router seems to be fine. As someone else at reddit suggested trying a different router, which I did, all seemed fine for a while until it was back last night. I also called the ISP every time it happened with no luck. "No service interruption of any kind"

Now you have checked an test out a another router and your still having the same issue.
ISP can't find anything. The modem your using how old is it. Don't over look that. The ISP can send a update firmware patch to it or they can replace it. If you rent it though them monthly.

Make sure your all browsers are up to date. Any rouge plug-in that might be causing issues disable or remove it. The site or searches your doing need to check other PC on your network see if the same effect is happening. Or go to a cafe with free WiFi see if the same issue is happening there.

On the PC your using keep it clean try some of these suggestions.
From here download free Wise Disk Cleaner and Jet Clean (check the box for DNS) make sure you check off network features.

Before you spend a dime, let's evaluate your browser and antivirus software

1. which OS are you running?
  2. who is your ISP and their homepage URL
  3. what browser do your use, which version of it and to you have any others?
  4. what antivirus are you using?

Before you spend a dime, let's evaluate your browser and antivirus software

1. which OS are you running?
  2. who is your ISP and their homepage URL
  3. what browser do your use, which version of it and to you have any others?
  4. what antivirus are you using?
Like I mentioned before I hardly ever use my laptop or desktop pc. I mainly use mobile devices which include, android smartphones, android tablet, Apple ipad, Apple iphone, Apple TV. All updated and function perfectly on any other network. My ISP is domolan. Their homepage is domolan.ru. I am based in Russia. I use chrome on all of my devices. Updated to the latest version. I don't use antivirus on my mobile devices-no need, obviously. On my laptop and pc I use AVG full.

This could a issue with ISP network hardware in your area. Have they sent out a service tech to trouble shoot the problem on your location. Not over the phone.

This could a issue with ISP network hardware in your area. Have they sent out a service tech to trouble shoot the problem on your location. Not over the phone.
No not really, however I would imagine it would be incredibly hard to diagnose as the problem rarely persists for more than a couple of hours. Plus they are usually incredibly reliable when it come to service disruption information. I trust them when the say it's all fine on their end. However, I guess it is the only option left at this point. As it seems I ve not only tried everything I could think of myself but also tried multiple suggestions from forums on reddit and here. No luck so far.

Are you near power lines or towers. Or even a transformer. Are the lines or WiFi is crowded in your area. Maybe the channels for WiFi are max in your area.

Are you near power lines or towers. Or even a transformer. Are the lines or WiFi is crowded in your area. Maybe the channels for WiFi are max in your area.
No. I am about ten clicks from the international airport though. However I ve been living here a few years and never had this problem before. As for the wi fi channels. I ve tried switching them. No luck.

Let's focus on the PC where we have more control of the environment
and we can get easy access to the controls. Getting it working correctly
will lead to insight as to possibilities for the mobile devices.

First; How does the laptop chrome behave - - similar to your other devices?

What DNS addresses are being provided by domolan.ru??
You can see the pair:
start->search-> enter IPCONFIG /ALL and look for
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : this and the next line

we can force the usage of Google's DNS if we need to
(8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)

chrome (three bars top right corner) -> settings ->extensions
* for each/everyone found uncheck [ ] enable
this runs the browser 'naked' as Google designed it
and with interference from other stuff.

examine the HOSTS FILE
c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

it MUST have a line reading
127.0.0.1 localhost
it may have many more

any line like
111.222.333.444 domain.name
is a hard-coded dns resolution - - there really should be none

any line like
127.0.0.1 domain.name
is a restrictive filter that ensures that system can not be accessed.
Normally, there should be none, but I use these as irreversible filters
to block known spam sites.

Android devices try downloading an app called WiFi Analyzer and to site survey in an out of your network environment. Measure the range you can go from the WiFi router to the dead zone using the Signal Meter mode and turn on the sound -40 will be your strongest signal.

Then run channel graph which should show your overlapping channel with nearby SSID. Here the -30 would be more ideal.

Next use the AP List (access point list)
Measure your channels your using compared to others. -40 dBm is very good higher the better.

SSID if you have mix mobile devices you should setup for example different SSID for them.

CG-TAB (for tablets)
CB-LAP (for laptops)
CB-CEP (for smart phones)

All 3 should be on same channel, but have different passcode (passwords) setup for each one. Try not using WPS. Do this manually.

Another note is if you have mix network where you have 802.11G and 802.11N use the mix mode. But if you have only 802.11N then use that mode only. Now if you have 802.11AC or 802.11AD then keep those off from 802.11N using a different SSID for it if you can. Better results.

This is how I run multi-SSID network with over Android 40 tablets, Android and Windows 8.1 smartphones, and Windows 7 desktop, laptops, netbooks and (Windows 8.1 Frankenstein Tablet). Other Network Media Players and Blue Ray.

Let's focus on the PC where we have more control of the environment
and we can get easy access to the controls. Getting it working correctly
will lead to insight as to possibilities for the mobile devices.

First; How does the laptop chrome behave - - similar to your other devices?

What DNS addresses are being provided by domolan.ru??
You can see the pair:
start->search-> enter IPCONFIG /ALL and look for
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : this and the next line

we can force the usage of Google's DNS if we need to
(8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)

chrome (three bars top right corner) -> settings ->extensions
* for each/everyone found uncheck [ ] enable
this runs the browser 'naked' as Google designed it
and with interference from other stuff.

examine the HOSTS FILE
c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

it MUST have a line reading
127.0.0.1 localhost
it may have many more

any line like
111.222.333.444 domain.name
is a hard-coded dns resolution - - there really should be none

any line like
127.0.0.1 domain.name
is a restrictive filter that ensures that system can not be accessed.
Normally, there should be none, but I use these as irreversible filters
to block known spam sites.
OK I' be done all that and forced google DNS. Now we shall wait and see

There was a free app on Play Store for DNS called Set DNS and DNS Changer. These two would allow you to change the DNS on default tablets and smart phones.

RSOn0tNhYAsJjp_1sC2U-F385slesqi-zEGSMr4rPv_WjHAS8Dg68ODDFVc0wH5_7G1J=h310-rw
b0RpUsKeBPiTEDa0pEHYOdpmd9ukE_sbF8juVgmMwdeAtyFqgXijWEjpz-YF8ngnQ7k=h310-rw

mJJfym0DtB2M3ogRhxXBnq3w21oyyTXHsHrhFyV1wojDAXhbtZdBqD0ml9ciF0EYqvY=h310-rw

Back