STRANGE problem - Windows key stuck on - Win 98/XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dok

Hello

I am new here, this being my first post, however I've got the most bizarre problem I've ever experienced - The windows key is stuck on. For example, pressing a key on the keyboard will cause the computer to perform the windows key shortcut rather than type the letter (e.g. - pressing "d" will minimize window, pressing "r" will open the run box, etc.)

The computer is a laptop - Toshiba Satellite Pro 4300 series, PIII processor, originally came with Windows 98.

I experienced the problem initially with Windows 98 - just recently formatted the drive and installed Windows XP - the problem remains. Also, it's not the keyboard, the same problem ocurrs when hooking up an external keyboard.

I did a search on this and it seems that someone else experienced this same problem: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic10521.html - however no real solution was provided.

The problem doesnt exist in DOS mode - it does in safe mode.

Thanks

When you hook up an external keyboard then the builtin one still works, doesn't it?

Most likely the key is "stuck" on the laptop keyboard. Try tapping it a couple of times. Or clean the keyboard thoroughly.

this worked but only serves as a temporary solution...if I hook up an external keyboard is there a way to disable the built in one?

Most laptops have their touchpads and keyboards hardwired to the PS/2 ports.. You will have to see the BIOS setup or some laptop specific configuration utility for the option.

Disable Laptop Computer - Did you succeed ?

Dok said:
this worked but only serves as a temporary solution...if I hook up an external keyboard is there a way to disable the built in one?

I am having major problem with my laptop's keyboard.
If I could disable it when XP is running, I would be ok.

Did you have any success Dok ?

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back