Study identifies which countries spend the most time staring at their screens

Jimmy2x

Staff
The big picture: Researchers estimate that today's worldwide data creation rate sits at more than 325 million terabytes per day. So how much time do we spend actually consuming it? A recent study answers that question by analyzing the average amount of daily screen usage by country. Spoiler alert: it's a lot more than most of us realize, and it's definitely more than we'd like to admit.

Electronics Hub created the report on average screen time and usage using DataReportal's 2023 global overview and sleep data gathered from Sleep Cycle, a popular sleep analysis application. The sleep data allowed researchers to compare the average number of hours users were awake against the amount of screen time reported in DataReportal's overview. So, what were the results?

We spend a lot of time taking in everything that the internet has to give. According to the findings, users worldwide average 6 hours and 37 minutes of screen time per day. If that same user is awake for 16 to 18 hours per day, then they are spending more than 35 to 40 percent of their day engrossed by some form of electronic content.

Breaking down the data by country gives a better view of how users are diving nose-first into the internet's ocean of information. South African countries topped the charts, clocking in with an astounding 58.2% of their day dedicated to overall screen time. By comparison, the country with the lowest utilization, Japan, averages 21.7% of their waking hours looking at some type of screen.

The report goes on to identify which countries are the largest consumers by type of device and activity.

The Philippines, Brazil, South Africa, and Thailand rounded out the top four for highest percentage of time spent on their phones, all coming in above 30%.

South African and Russian users were found to spend more than 25% their waking days at computer screens. And when it comes to gaming, Saudi Arabia is the clear winner, with users logging almost 11.5% of their waking time in-game.

With so much screen time and so much data created, the question becomes "what types of data are we actually consuming?" According to Exploding Topics, the top three contributors to the world's daily footprint consist of video (53.72%), social and social media (12.69%), and gaming (9.86%).

Based on these numbers, more than 75% of the data consumed is – you guessed it – attributable to services and activities such as TikTok, YouTube, Facebook, and video gaming.

While it may feel entertaining, these high amounts of screentime have a lot of downsides. Multiple studies have shown that increased screen time leads to conditions such as obesity, insomnia, changes in cognition, and development of other addictive behaviors.

There's also an environmental impact that often goes unconsidered. Internet content means data, data means data centers and equipment, and that equipment means greenhouse gases. While some companies are taking steps to reduce or offset those footprints, the real answer may be as simple as putting the devices down and taking a few steps outside once in a while.

Permalink to story.

I should have known what kind of article this is, the Western "media" is full of them these days: Save the Planet! Stop using your smartphones, stop eating meat, stop showering, stop flushing down your toilet, stop existing! Save the Planet! Save the Planet!
I only had two smartphones in my life, a Samsung Galaxy S2 and a Galaxy S7. How many smartphones have you changed over the years, you hypocrites?
How about you stop buying new smartphones every year! Stop queuing to buy the latest and greatest iPhone, stop paying 3x MSRP for a graphics card, just stop consuming like mad-non-binary-non-persons!
Also, you honestly expect me to believe those numbers, Korea, Japan and China among the lowest of them all at staring at social networked apps and gaming? Get outta here!

Last edited:
I should have known what kind of article this is, the Western "media" is full of them these days: Save the Planet! Stop using your smartphones, stop eating meat, stop showering, stop flushing down your toilet, stop existing! Save the Planet! Save the Planet!
I only had two smartphones in my life, a Samsung Galaxy S2 and a Galaxy S7. How many smartphones have you changed over the years, you hypocrites?
How about you stop buying new smartphones every year! Stop queuing to buy the latest and greatest iPhone, stop paying 3x MSRP for a graphics card, just stop consuming like mad-non-binary-non-persons!
Also, you honestly expect me to believe those numbers, Korea, Japan and China among the lowest of them all at staring at social networked apps and gaming? Get outta here!
You can choose to ignore media by turning your screen off.
You can choose to ignore research.
You can choose what to eat.
It's not a competition.

You can choose to ignore media by turning your screen off.
You can choose to ignore research.
You can choose what to eat.
It's not a competition.
I chose to not bury my head into the sand and I chose to not bend the head in front of trolls and cancel-culturalists.

Poor people feel better not seeing reality.
I just wanna remind people that things like sitting on the beach
make you feel better mentally, long sessions at the screen not so much.

Stay healthy, do the right things.

Amount of time is only that...without all the other considerations it's just a talking point

Poor people feel better not seeing reality.
I just wanna remind people that things like sitting on the beach
make you feel better mentally, long sessions at the screen not so much.

Stay healthy, do the right things.

John Carmack and Tim Sweeney did the right things. Building game engines, writing software demands all the time in world be devoted to that task.

Many things don't add up.

For instance, Japan is one the highest countries the youth and kids are glued to the screen due yo the high number of original Japan-only games in addition to the international games produced both within Japan and from abroad.
And also think about all the developers glued to the screen developing them!

Japan's anime and cartoon scene is the most vibrant and many kids watch the TV too.

Hard to digest that Japan is one of the lowest to stare at the screen.

Otherwise, I agree with the South East Asia are spending more time staring the screen. I'm from ASEAN too.

I don't get the massive obsession with games. A multi-billion dollar industry that creates addictive time-wasting zombies that would be better off going outside and doing something physical in the real world.

Learn a skill, educate yourself, be inspired by life to get involved with it.

I don't get the massive obsession with games. A multi-billion dollar industry that creates addictive time-wasting zombies that would be better off going outside and doing something physical in the real world.

Learn a skill, educate yourself, be inspired by life to get involved with it.
I can't be bothered. I want to sit on my ***, drink & game.

Guys, please tell me you know a little more about Geography... I quote: "South African countries topped the charts". South Africa is a country, its not one of several, there is only one called South Africa. Southern Africa is something completely different.

Guys, please tell me you know a little more about Geography... I quote: "South African countries topped the charts". South Africa is a country, its not one of several, there is only one called South Africa. Southern Africa is something completely different.
I think they mean the lower part of the country. Lol

Does this not include work? Most of my work is in front of a computer, yet, that never seems mentioned in the stats.

OMG with the constant electricity usage is destroying the Earth.

Electricity (and fossil fuel) usage is the only reason we are developed enough to have the time and wealth enough to care about the environment. Going back to the stone age is not the answer - more and better technology is the solution.

Argentina's light blue doesn't match the percentage. Is this an indicator of the quality of the content ?

Anyways, the mass of humanity is literally under (remote) control, no study needed to realize that. The problem has never been technology but people's maturity and the intentions of those who feed them with digital content.

Back