Swapping mobo trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello to all.
i swapped an asus a7n8x-x mobo into a system that was running an asus a7v8x-x. i changed the cpu from an amd xp 2200+ to an amd xp 2600+. i also changed the video card from an fx9520 to an ati radeon 9600 pro. i am running windows 2000 professional.
when i started the puter, it went thru POST okay, correctly identified the master/slave configs in BIOS, correctly identified the cpu speed after i set the correct fsb speed.
when i let it boot, it started well, went thru the POST correctly, went theu the first splash screen correctly, and the stopped on a blue screen of death, with the message that it could not find a bootable drive.
any ideas?
thanks.

Your going to have to format the hard drive and reinstall the OS.

When ever you make a big hardware change, like a new mobo, new cpu, you have to reinstall the operating system. With you installing a new mobo, cpu, and videocard no wonder its not working :p But dont feel bad.. I did this too before (my first time). I built a new PC, and put my old computer's hard drive in it and expected the OS to load and all my stuff come up just how it used to be, except with new hardware :) Unfortuantly this doesnt work :(

You don't always need to reinstall. Sometimes you can simply delete "C:\WINNT\Driver Cache\i386\Driver.cab" & have windows redetect all the devices over again.

being that your going from a via chipset to an nforce2 chipset i
would take this oportunity to re-install. The 2 chipsets don't get along driver wise.
It's a good idea to re-install every year or so anyway.

You don't say which OS you have but if its XP you can do a repair instead of install. This will get you back in with out losing your files and updates. So that you can back them up if you have not done so. But when changing from one chipset to another it will be hit and miss.
Do a clean install after backing everything up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back